Zwave 800 Long Range Not Working

Hi. I am new to HA. I have a Pi 4, Zooz 800 Long Range Stick, and Zooz Long Range dimmer switches. I have been unable to get anything to connect farther than 30-40 feet. I contacted zooz and they said that my devices are connecting via 700 protocol instead of 800, but that they do not support HA to fix it. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks so much!

Z-Wave JS does not support Long Range yet.

I use ZWave JS UI with a Zooz USB 800 and it works perfectly.

I am not the most technical person, but my suggestion is to reset the Zooz stick, remove the ZWave module from HA and start over.
Resetting the Zooz stick is a bit complicated and you may need the Zooz Simplicity Studio software to do that.
FIRST try to remove the ZWave module from HA and adding it again, and then try with the stick. If that does not work, then reset the stick.
I use ZWave JS UI with the Zooz 800 USB, and it works fine. I have no idea whether I actually get “long range”, which is not an issue for me with some 80 Zwave devices in my mesh network and anyway most of my devices are either 700 or 500, and maybe even a few 300. As said, I have an excellent and relatively fast ZWave mesh network.

Hi @freshcoast ! Thanks for the reply.

Is there any work around or some way at all to use Long Range?

Have you heard any updates on when Long Range may be supported by HA?

I have done extensive searching on both topics and it is shocking how little information there is on the subject.

Thanks again!

The controller software has to implement LR support. There’s no workaround unless you consider switching to other software.

You can try asking your questions at the Z-Wave JS project site. https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/discussions

1 Like

What other controller supports long-range?

I just picked up my first Z-Wave device, assuming (naively) that it would be as easy as Zigbee, and was disappointed to find that I’d need to start up a whole separate NodeJS server on my (HA Core) server. I really don’t want to do that, so I was thinking about writing a custom integration that wraps some C++ library to provide a compatible websocket for the HA Z-Wave integration.

But I’m struggling to identify the best Z-Wave implementation besides Z-Wave JS. E.g. openzwave would be a good candidate, but is no longer maintained.

Z-Way supports Long Range. You need to buy their hardware. It has its own integration with HA. But you are also installing a “separate server” to use it.

Running the Z-Wave driver separate from HA is better since it doesn’t take down the Z-Wave network when you upgrade HA.

What is wrong with running Z-Wave JS UI in Docker or as a standalone binary?

1 Like

Also there is currently no better FOSS implementation of Z-Wave than Z-Wave JS.

Arguably Z-Wave JS is the only FOSS implementation (worth considering). Compare to:

• OpenZWave - abandoned, doesn’t support 700/800 controllers, etc.
  • OpenHAB - doesn’t support 700/800 controllers, code is specific to OpenHAB platform
  • Grizzly - Z/IP only, requires proprietary Silicon Labs zipgateway software. Z/IP is already phased out in favor of Unify SDK (also proprietary, based on MQTT). Written in Elixir, which is much less popular than Typescript/Javascript.

I am not aware of any other open source Z-Wave software, anything I missed?

1 Like

No, I don’t think you missed any.

I have a problem where after the June update my zst39 controller lost contact with about half the devices. After the lasters Zwave JS UI update, the network map shows a STAR topology ! Could it be that ZWave JS UI has failed to put the ZST39 in MESH mode?

I have the Zooz 800 LR ZST39 LR (FW: v1.20 - SDK: v7.19.3) as well, with some 80 ZWave devices. Though occasionally one or another device needs to be pinged, my mesh network seems to be ok.

Thought I’d drop a link here on recent comment on support for Long Range in Zwave JS UI.

Hi @freshcoast ! Thank you for this idea! Checking it out now. Can you tell me, can Z-Way and HA be on the same Pi?

P.S. I have searched exhaustively for updates on z-wave js supporting long range. Also asked in every forum I can think of. Surprisingly little info and even more surprisingly is how few other people seem to be asking this question. Have you or anyone by chance heard anything about long range support?

Thank you

1 Like

I don’t see why not. If you are interested in Z-Way, you will probably have more success asking about it on the Z-wave.me support forums. I think the author visits these forums sometimes though, so maybe they will happen to answer.

Well, the the post right above yours literally is a link to a direct statement regarding LR support in Z-Wave JS. I’ll paste the statement here:

The current focus is on getting everything certification ready. LR is somewhere on the TODO list afterwards.

You are not going to get an exact date of when it will be implemented. It will happen when it happens. Watch the releases on the GitHub project for an announcement, or subscribe to that issue if you want to follow progress.

1 Like

did you have to do anything? i justt reinstalled HAOS fresh from 10.5, and i can’t get gawdam HA to see the gawdam stick

windows device manager sees it… but wtf

Please help elaborate what your whole setup looks like.

HAOS is an OS. Windows is another OS. So right there - what is your setup / install?

i’m using windows 10, HAOS in a vm

i installed the recent HAOS release from this month, and i can’t get the zooz 800 LR to show up in the home assistant shit… i’ve installed the gawdam zwave bullshit and it isn’t showing up as a device for the fuckin usb serial god damn selection

i lost my aeotec zwave model 5 some fuckin thing and i was trying to save some money, and thought the longer range would be nice too, but now it works for some but not for me… trying to figure this fuckin shit out

at 3:15 my usb selection is just empty, nothing there.

I am 99% certain that the issue is that you did not pass the USB through to your virtual machine. From my own testing if the device shows up in device manager then its not connected to the vm. Once its connected to the VM it will no longer be displayed in device manager.

1 Like