Zwave and Node-Red

Hello.
I try desperately to use my Zwave USB key installed on my RPI 3, which works with Home-Assistant, with Node-Red. All my installation, libraries and OpenZwave with Node-Red is good and I have 3 nodes present and installed in Node-Red. The problem, I can not see these nodes in the left menus of Node-Red. I do not understand what is happening and even looking on different sites and tutorials, I can not find the answer to my problem, consequence, my project is blocked because of that.

Do you have an idea ? Has anyone ever had the problem?

In advance, a big thank you for your help!

Nobody has any idea ?

Thanks,

It’s ok !

it’s ok. For futur help if somebody have de same problem:
Disable the node open-zwave installation in Node-Red, and enable it again.

You will be able see two nodes open Z-wave (in/out).

Good to know. Node-Red is on my list of things to look at.

I am getting an error trying to install the zwave nodes in HASS.IO with manage palette. I think is missing the library https://github.com/OpenZWave/node-openzwave-shared. What do I have to do to resolve this.

Why wouldn’t you connect your Z-Wave to home assistant and then connect Home Assistant to Node-Red?

3 Likes

If you’re running hassio, it makes more sense to let Home Assistant manage z-wave then control those devices via node-red-contrib-home-assistant. Can you clarify why you’re trying to bypass Home Assistant for z-wave?

What’s going on here is that Node-RED indicates that node-red-contrib-openzwave requires the installation of node-openzwave-shared as a dependency. I’m currently trying to solve this same problem myself.

FWIW, I’m not sure node-openzwave-shared is necessary in HA. I was able to get this simple node to report a Zwave entity’s value to the debug window:

[{"id":"60f18257.4d0cfc","type":"api-current-state","z":"45be83ea.763e9c","name":"","server":"edf0a7a8.0b90b8","halt_if":"","override_topic":false,"override_payload":false,"entity_id":"sensor.office_multisensor_6_luminance","x":460,"y":60,"wires":[["26e96561.16784a"]]},{"id":"26e96561.16784a","type":"debug","z":"45be83ea.763e9c","name":"","active":true,"tosidebar":true,"console":false,"tostatus":false,"complete":"false","x":770,"y":60,"wires":[]},{"id":"e36cc03d.7cad3","type":"inject","z":"45be83ea.763e9c","name":"","topic":"","payload":"","payloadType":"date","repeat":"","crontab":"","once":false,"onceDelay":0.1,"x":160,"y":60,"wires":[["60f18257.4d0cfc"]]},{"id":"edf0a7a8.0b90b8","type":"server","z":"","name":"Home Assistant","url":"http://hassio/homeassistant","pass":""}]

??

HA already supports zwave.

Yes, I understand that. But Node-RED isn’t run-of-the-mill HA. If a node indicates that it has another particular node as a dependency, that creates some confusion.

Node-red isn’t HA.

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Can you expand on this?

Follow the link I provided earlier: https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-openzwave

1 Like

In my experience, you can’t have two dockerized applications use the same USB device. Here is what I worked out for my solution.

I have an events:all input going to a switch that only outputs if msg.event_type == zwave.scene_activated – That feeds into a function that will filter on node_id etc.

I’ve got the same issue in hassio.
Got the basics up and running, but still a newbie to hassio
And am really new to node red

Trying to get the state from a z-wave battery powered door/window sensor working in node-red.
used the events:state and selected the binary sensor
Intercept it with msg.payload, but i don’t get any output at all :unamused:

replaced the binary sensor with a hue light and everything works fine

Dear All,

Tx for the explanations so far.
If I understand it right the conclusion is that we:

…“can’t have two dockerized applications use the same USB device”…
this means if the zwave stick is in use by Hass.io I can’t parallel use it directly by Node Red.

Conclusion: zwave is controled by Hass.io, Node Red is used to control “Hass.io” to indirect steer the zwave devices? -> The " node-red-contrib-openzwave" should not be installed / used in this case.

Is this right or does somebody found a way to direct steer zwave via Node Red (what I would realy like)?

Thanks for your support

No hints?
PLEASE alt least if it is somehow posible?
Nobody found a way?

Your previous message seems to sum it up as I understand it. You shouldn’t be using Node-Red to control Zwave directly. You can still get the Zwave events/states from HA through Node-Red though and call Zwave services (via HA).

1 Like

Tx i’ll gone try it

Well, why not? It is just as valid as doing it Vice versa.

You can have node red manage zwave and expose virtual entities to HA for what you want to have in HA.