zWave Device and Entity rename

I am migrating from Fibaro to Home Assistant. Today I have around 100 zWave devices, each zwave node will create around 4-7 entities under that node in HA.

I cannot find a way to rename the zwave node, and for that name change to flow down to the entities underneath it. Currently this means that I have to manually change 700 entities. This is unworkable.

This feature already exists, as of v0.100.0. If you rename the device in the Devices page, you can have it rename all the related entities.

And, bonus, when you rename a device on the device page, it will now also rename the entities of that device if they contain the device name. When you are in advanced mode, it can also rename the entity id’s for you.

1 Like

… true. this feature looks cool at first but it does NOT work in my case (using zwave entities). the subentities were not renamed at all.

hope for a fix with the next releases.
best

It does work. You rename the device, not the entity. When doing so it will prompt you to rename the child entities, as long as advanced mode is enabled in your profile.

Yeah confirmed from my side.

@CoolDuke:

1. Head over to “Developer Tools” in the UI.
  2. Click Services
  3. In the Service Drop down, find “zwave.rename_node”
  4. In the Service Data box, add the following:
node_id: 10
update_ids: true
name: kitchen
  1. Click “call service” button
1 Like

@chrisjcbt: thx for the hint - will give it a try in the evening…

@freshcoast: only got the prompt for renaming child entities (adv. mode enabled) , but without any effects… still the same old name :frowning:

@chrisjcbt: works great … highly appreciated!

Thanks for your hint!

Unfortunately this won’t work at my side - error:

Failed to call service zwave/rename_node. ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘startswith’

I pressed the button “FILL EXAMPLE DATA” and modified the detail accordingly.

– RPi 3 running 0.100.3 with Razberry GPIO board –

I’m running into the same error and things just got REALLY weird.

Same error here

Spinning up an older thread… does this mean if the device name is changes and subsequently the entities are that all automations will stop working? Is the some find replace mechanism?