Zwave dongle suddenly not recognized

‘’'Logger: homeassistant.components.zwave_js
Source: components/hassio/addon_manager.py:380
Integration: Z-Wave (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 14:24:23 (5 occurrences)
Last logged: 14:25:54

Failed to set the Z-Wave JS add-on options: not a valid value for dictionary value @ data[‘options’]. Got {‘device’: ‘/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_216005B8-if00-port0’, ‘s0_legacy_key’: ‘3E215FA5C24E28F5E05B32163C47358E’, ‘s2_access_control_key’: ‘96D1612BE68340B186A64EC1460EF7C1’, ‘s2_authenticated_key’: ‘E1EEF9B854839E175D0414D40D7594A6’, ‘s2_unauthenticated_key’: ‘E956799A75CD4D1397543667C9B34B84’}’’’

First, look around, there are many fresh threads about this problem.

Second. Publishing your security keys uncensored is not the best idea… :wink:

1 Like

Did you try to power cycle your HA Box ?

And before you reboot, try pulling and reinstalling the dongle. Then reboot. This has worked for me when rebooting without pulling and reinstalling didn’t work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve rebooted several times, I’ll try the unplug dongle and see if that helps.

Also, I forgot to mention that I do not plug in directly to the USB port on the computer. I use an extension USB cable (MxF) and plug the dongle into the cable. This stops computer interference. I had problems when I was plugged into a rack server.

There is a known bug with a recent Z-Wave JS version that causes the USB dongle to not be recognised.

@BebeMischa is correct, there are many threads about this. From my own experience, a new version of Z-Wave JS was pushed to my device 12.0.3 on server 1.32.1 and this fixed all issues.

Good luck, Andy

I had the same issue for the past couple of updates and somehow it seems like the usb path which is configured, is default discarded and therefore not recognized.

My solution for the past 3 updates is:

• Make note of the usb path you are using (HA addons page go to the Z-Wave JS addon and to the config page
  • update Z-Wave JS as you normally would
  • if device is found after update (see log or addons page for Z-Wave JS), then make a happy dance otherwise continue.
  • On the HA addons page go to the Z-Wave JS addon and to the config page.
  • Select any random device, i.e. /dev/ttyAMA0 and save the config.
  • reboot the host (not just HA)
  • if this solutions works, the correct usb path is recognized/shown on the addon config page, select it and save the config.
  • restart the addon like prompted and you should have a working Z-Wave JS.

Note that i have set the 500 series controller soft-reset option to disabled.

1 Like