Zwave Door/Window sensor 7

I am trying to set up my door sensor. It’s a Aeotec ZWave Door Window Sensor 7.
I came across this from jwelter in my forum searches

This led me to https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/binary_sensor/
I went into Customization and set this entity up to be a door
Device class Door defines “on” as open and “off” as closed.

In the ZWave Node configurations when the magnet is CLOSE to the sensor the door is closed which makes perfect sense.
I configured a simple card to test

The problem is that when I open and close the door it does not change state?

I cannot see where my error is.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

I reached out to AEOTEC about my issues with the ZW008 Door/Window Sensor 7.

This was their response.

Unfortunately Binary Sensor is not supported for the door window sensor in this case so it won’t be able to be used with the Door Window Sensor 7. It is reserved for the tilt sensor of the device.

I suspect that HA is requesting the wrong Notification Type when issuing a NOTIFICATION GET. If a notification type does not exist, typically the error is returned as value 254.

Only events 0x06 and 0x07 exist in this unit which i have noted in the past that the request for the wrong notification type happens with some of our other devices.

This is my guess as to why value 254 is being sent as I’ve seen this similar issue on our Water Sensor 6.

So the question is, are the correct and HA is return 254 as a default?

I cannot see a way for me to fix this issue other than to use the developer tab and change the state after every restart??

Not the best solution.

Anyone got a better solution? Please!

Many door sensors report having a binary sensor, but most don’t support it as Aeotec has said. I think there’s a bug in the Z-wave SDK code.

Aeotec is correct and there is a bug in OZW 1.4 where it sets the wrong notification type for a Notification Get. It’s only a problem after startup, so once the sensor is triggered and sends a new notification it will update. Most people use template binary sensors for these notifications. I use the template in the linked example, so a value of 254 would appear as closed. Of course, if your door doesn’t open often, that’s not great. It was good enough for me, maybe not for you.

If you want, you could completely disable Gets for this device. It’s not too difficult to manage your own XML files. Here’s an example that disables Gets for the notification command class. You’ll just need to download the config files to your HA /config directory somewhere and use the config_path setting. There are plenty of discussions in this community that discuss it. The Sensor 7 xml file is zwa008.xml.

Otherwise, there is no fix aside from possibly compiling your own version of OZW 1.4.

The bug is fixed in OZW 1.6 which is used by the ozw (beta) integration, and it also provides binary sensors for you, no templates required. Of course, it is still beta software.

1 Like

Many Thanks for this post.
I am not skilled enough to play with XML files so I will put up with it until the OZW 1.6 becomes production.
Now that I know all this I won’t go chasing a fix.
Great Work my friend!

I’m new to home assisstant and my first Z-Wave device I want to add is an Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7, so I came across this thread as I think I have the same issue: my sensors access control value is 254, which should represent the open/close state as mentioned here and also in the devices manual:

I think I will try to handle this with a template binary sensor mentioned here. But before starting over and give that a try I must understand one thing about the Z-Wave integration with OZW. I know the Z-Wave concepts but I don’t know how excactly OZW and the HA integration works excactly yet.

If I change the state of the sensor (by opening/closing the window) the LED of the device flashes to indicate the state change. But I don’t see any entries in the OZW logs about that state change. Shouldn’t I see some received telegrams to let the binary sensor template work with them?
Or is my device broken somehow which would really be bad luck - as it selected it as one of my HA test devices…

@freshcoast maybe you know that or can give me a hint.

I never really solved this as I @freshcoast informed me that it was an issue with OZW 1.4 and OZW1.6 was in beta. AEOTEC told me 1.4 was really old.
Consequently I abandoned trying to fix it as it was a fruitless task at my skill level.
However my device does reset itself if I open and close door or use developer tools to set the 254 to either 22 (open) or 23 (closed) until the new OZW comes along in production.
Don’t know that that helps much though.

You can use something like this in configuration.yaml to create binary sensors from your device:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
     door_open:
        friendly_name: 'Puerta del tendedero'
        value_template: '{{ is_state("sensor.philio_technology_corporation_pst02a_4_in_1_multisensor_access_control", "22") }}'
        device_class: door
        entity_id: sensor.philio_technology_corporation_pst02a_4_in_1_multisensor_access_control

door_motion:
        friendly_name: 'Movimiento en la cocina'
        value_template: '{{ is_state("sensor.philio_technology_corporation_pst02a_4_in_1_multisensor_burglar", "8") }}'
        device_class: motion
        entity_id: sensor.philio_technology_corporation_pst02a_4_in_1_multisensor_burglar

door_tamper:
        friendly_name: 'Manipulacion'
        value_template: '{{ is_state("sensor.philio_technology_corporation_pst02a_4_in_1_multisensor_burglar", "3") }}'
        device_class: safety
        entity_id: sensor.philio_technology_corporation_pst02a_4_in_1_multisensor_burglar

Ok - I found out, that my device is really broken somehow. It could be included in the network but doesn’t report its state change. A new device works now. This was really bad luck when starting over with a new HA system.

I wrote a sensor template for this Aeotec device that reports me the status Open/Close/Tilted:

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      aeotec_dw7_ugbb_window_status:
        friendly_name: "Window"
        value_template: >-
          {% if is_state('binary_sensor.aeotec_dw7_ugbb_window_tilt_sensor', 'on') %}
            Tilted
          {% elif is_state('sensor.aeotec_dw7_ugbb_window_access_control', '22') %}
            Open
          {% elif is_state('sensor.aeotec_dw7_ugbb_window_access_control', '23') %}
            Closed
          {% else %}
            Unknown
          {% endif %}
        icon_template: >-
          {% if is_state('sensor.aeotec_dw7_ugbb_window_access_control', '22') %}
            mdi:door-open
          {% elif is_state('sensor.aeotec_dw7_ugbb_window_access_control', '23') %}
            mdi:door
          {% else %}
            mdi:help
          {% endif %}

This is my very first template - so feel free to suggest improvements :slight_smile:

1 Like