ZWave JS and associations

Hi, Hoping someone can help. I’m trying to upgrade my HA instance to use the new Zwave integration. I have the new Zwave JS working, but can’t figure out how to add associations. With the older Zwave, I could associate a light switch with the Zwave USB stick and fire automations when the switch is double tapped,e.g.

trigger:
     - platform: event
       event_type: zwave.node_event
       event_data:
         entity_id: zwave.master_bath_overhead_lights
         basic_level: 0
       event_type: zwave.node_event
       event_data:
         entity_id: zwave.master_bath_overhead_lights
         basic_level: 255

How can I achieve the same functionality with the new ZWave JS?

Thanks

Stan

You can’t yet. You would need to use zwavejs2mqtt instead.

What switches are you using? If they are GE/Jasco, most (all?) supporting models are configured automatically to associate Group 3 Double Tap.

It’s a GE 14294. With the older ZWave integration I had to explicitly set the association in the Zwave configuration settings.

[Tracking] Implementation status of Command Classes · Issue #6 · zwave-js/node-zwave-js · GitHub implies that Association is supported in the new ZWave JS, bit not sure what the difference is between “Association” and “Association Command Configuration.”

Ok, so it looks like ZWave JS is grabbing the double tap - when I set the Zwave JS log to verbose, I get the following on two double taps, one on and the other off:

2021-05-04T22:17:27.012Z DRIVER « [Node 051] [REQ] [ApplicationCommand]
                                  └─[BasicCCSet]
                                      target value: 255
2021-05-04T22:17:27.014Z CNTRLR   [Node 051] treating BasicCC::Set as a value event
2021-05-04T22:17:29.368Z DRIVER « [Node 051] [REQ] [ApplicationCommand]
                                  └─[BasicCCSet]
                                      target value: 0
2021-05-04T22:17:29.370Z CNTRLR   [Node 051] treating BasicCC::Set as a value event

Any ideas how to write the trigger?

I feel obligated to plug my blueprint. :slight_smile: Otherwise, use the value notification event.

1 Like

I have double tap working on14294 with zwavejs. This is my automation. Note the trigger. If you want double tap down, change value to 0. node_id should be the zwave node id of the dimmer.

alias: 'Living room: Turn on entryway light for 5 minutes when double tapped up'
description: ''
trigger:
    event_type: zwave_js_value_notification
    event_data:
      node_id: 10
      value: 255
condition: []
action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data:
      transition: 0
      brightness_pct: 100
    target:
      entity_id: light.entryway_dimmer_level_3
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 5
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 0
  - service: light.turn_off
    target:
      entity_id: light.entryway_dimmer_level_3
    data:
      transition: 30
mode: single

3 Likes

I got it working with the help of melonhead’s code. Thanks! Freshcoast, I saw a post earlier today about a blueprint that would solve my problem but it’s the first time I’ve come across blueprints - I need to read up on them.

Thanks again to everybody!

Stan