Zwave JS failing to connect

Failed to connect: Cannot connect to host core-zwave-js:3000 ssl:default [Connect call failed (‘172.30.33.7’, 3000)]

Restarting rpi doesn’t help. Don’t want to delete and re-install, might lose all my pairing? And no ability to change configuration from the integration. Help!

Looks like Zwave JS UI add-on is killing Zwave JS. When I stop Zwave JS UI, then Zwave JS connects properly and logs show all is well. I re-installed Zwave JS UI but same problem, it kills main process.
I did have to tell Z-wave JS the serial location of the USB stick, should Zwave JS UI automatically pick up the location?

How did you install zwavejs-ui?

did you try to install the add-on and then did you check the “use supervisor add-on” when installing the zwave integration?

if so then you likely have two zwavejs add-ons running which they both can’t access the zwave controller at the same time.

I first installed zwavejs, then installed the add-on zwavejs UI…which has been working until I made the most recent updates. Am I not understanding what zwavejs UI is? I thought it was just a UI front end to the regular zwavejs integration?
I do have both zwavejs AND zwavejsUI in the “add-ons” section. Do I need to delete the zwavejs add-on? Will I lose all my zwave parings?

HA is the UI frontend for the Z-Wave JS integration.

Z-Wave JS official add-on and Z-Wave JS UI add-ons are both applications that control the Z-Wave controller and perform identical functions. UI has its own web interface separate from HA.

freshcoast thanks for the docs-
NOW I understand; my old zwavejs2mqtt was renamed to zwavejs UI. What a confusing move! You can’t have both zwavejs AND zwavejs UI run at the same time. Zwavejs is too bare bones, so I was using zwavejs2mqtt as a front-end. Somehow it all got hosed. Am I the only one who got confused by this renaming?

But you couldn’t run the Z-Wave JS add-on and zwavejs2mqtt add-ons at the same time before either, it’s the same problem.

My settings must have changed. I’m following the procedure to switch to zwavejs UI, but when I try re-installing zwavejs, I get invalid websocket. zwavejs UI is set for default ws server, but ws://localhost:3000 (default zwavejs webserver) won’t connect?
I’m running supervised home assistant, all on one rpi…

That’s the wrong URL. Use the correct one for Z-Wave JS UI which is given in both integration and add-on docs. localhost is not valid for anything.

You are correct! Thank you, that solved it.

Thanks for this post. I have exactly the same issue after I upgraded Zwave JS UI and was in the same exact situation with Zwave JS UI and Zwave JS. Just happened to chance about this post. I disabled the Zwave JS as advised and managed to get things working again.

To save anybody finding this post and hunting down the websocket address (which is way down the documentation), it’s this:
ws://a0d7b954-zwavejs2mqtt:3000
Crazy huh? But use that websocket address.

2 Likes

PS to the author: would be great if you had this as a zwavejs setup drop-down option on installation!

It’s pretty prominent in the Add-on docs. Did you check those?

Thank you so much. I was ripping my hair out trying to figure out the right URL.