Zwave JS frequently dropping connections to endpoints

Is there a chance that the sd card is going bad on the pi? I know you say you recently switched to HA. It could be a case of infant mortality.

Edit: Have you looked here to see if this simple hardware fix would work for you? Is it possible the Gen7 has a similar issue?

I’ve had this exact problem for over a year. I have HA on a PC, so it’s not RPi related. I started with the Aeotec 5 controller. Upgraded to the 5+, and then migrated to a zooz 700 controller. Problem continues to pop up. Switched to a fresh install on a new pc. Same issue…. I’m pulling my hair out.

Any solutions people have would be appreciate.

Just my observations, having a relatively large Z-Wave network… (102 devices currently)

Solid until a Z-Wave JS, or Z Wave JS UI update comes. Then trying to do the restart add-on dance never works, stop UI, JS Starts, etc. Easiest to just reboot the host after an update.

For Reference I also have this stick and it works perfectly fine. Though I have it plugged into a USB2.0 on a home assistant blue - I had issues with it on the usb3.0 port(which it didn’t need anyway). I can do OTA updates from Z Wave JS UI. It’s a good stick.

• 30% of my devices do not have security.
  • 5% of my devices are S0: Legacy
  • remainder are S2 Authenticated

So I do not think any mix of security is going to change the performance of your network.

Other things to note:
Go through ALL of your devices, and ensure in Z-Wave JS UI, that each device joined the network properly. IE

• Beaming is Checked
  • Wave Version reports a 1 or 2
  • Security enrollment is the maximum the device is capable of
  • Latest OTA firmware for your devices are applied

When I have had issues, is when I joined a new device, and it didn’t join properly, so ‘Beaming’ was negative for that device, should a route ever go through that device, other devices may not respond. Exclude the device and reinclude - ensure it joined with Beaming. I overlooked this a few times when adding multiple devices at once. All nodes should beam, including battery nodes. Exclude/Include dance until all nodes are beaming.

700 sticks just aren’t there yet. I’ve tried the Zooz 700 S2, and Aeotec 7, but had problems with response time with just a handful of nodes, and went back to a 500 stick.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. I’ll check the beaming to see if that’s the issue.

This type of issue affects 100% of people with the Zooz stick and Home Assistant. There’s nothing you can do as an admin/user to eliminate the issue.

As it stands, there are a lot of threads about this and people have tried all manner of band-aids, including auto-ping scripts to bring dead nodes back online.

I’ve yet to find reports that point to Z-Wave 700 sticks (as is commonly mentioned here) in forums for other automation platforms. IMO, it’s still up in the air whether this is 700-series firmware bugs or HA-specific.

Any update on this, it is getting to the point where I loss 2-3 devices a week. Had one 4 minutes ago go unavailable, an automation ran on it 10 minutes ago. I’ve been stable for a long time then about two months ago this things starting going wrong. The only devices I added were some Zooz ZSE41 (window/door sensors), I had 4 of them connected for a long time so I decided to get one for each window. One of the ZSE41 shows up as a “Unknown product 0xe001”. I’ve had to add a fan switch back 3 times.

Getting very frustrating.

I’m seeing the same issues. It seems to only happen when the network is under load (I’m executing a flow that issues a lot of commands), and thus far it seems to only happen to non-Zwave+ devices that are being commanded from the flow, amongst all the other devices. (I have a mix of Zwave+ in that are being commanded as well).

Throughout the day under low load, I don’t seem to lose devices.

Well, after a long period of time of fighting all things I could think of, my entire Zwave Network went completely dead about 2 weeks ago… at least I think it was. The USB controller was present and said it was communicating. As a test, I deleted all of my Zwave devices (because, well, nothing to lose at that point) and added a single device back. It was online and fairly stable for about a day or two before it decided to go belly up. I caved and bought a different USB controller stick - I grabbed an Aeotec 700 Series (convenience from the large, orange, smiling internet store) and installed it. At the same time, I moved from Zwave JS to Zwave JS UI. Added a couple of devices, and everything seemed to be running smoothly. Over the weekend, I added the remaining ~40 devices and was pleased that everything was running smoothly by Sunday (Mar 19, 2023) evening. On Monday the 20th, I reviewed all my automations and dashboards and got everything back to operational.
Monday night, a bit after 9:00 PM CDT, ~80% of my Zwave devices went offline - Nearly all at the same time. Here’s a sample of the Zwave devices from the historical report at the time:

This morning I have taken the new USB controller and moved it onto a longer USB extension cord (moving from a ~1’ to 10’) to move it further away from the Pi (and the Zigbee controller) and I am currently healing the network. A number of the devices appear to be coming back online… but it still makes me wonder why it decided to tank out the way that it did.

FWIW, I had 2 devices (TZ67 socket and an Aeotec switch) which kept falling off my Aeotec 7 ZWave network, but would instantly come back if I interviewed them; I set up a schedule to ping them every 30 minutes and they have never fallen off since. Not sure what the issue was - the Aeotec switch is in the ceiling above the stick!!