Zwave.js - never finishes "interviewing" when adding devices

I just got a new HUSBZB-1, and I’m working to move from SmartThings to zwave.js - but I’m having a heck of a time figuring it out - first thing I tried was adding one of my innovelli switches and it never actually found the device.

Then I added one of my Kwikset Convert locks, and it immediately found it, but hung on a screen that reads “The device is being interviewed. This may take some time.” I eventually stopped waiting (after about 20 minutes of it spinning without update), and closed the window and restarted my Home Assistant. The device appeared, and responds, but had a bunch of disabled entities (all sensors), and had very generic names to the entities that I had to go in and rename.

I keep hearing how awesome this integration is, so I assume I’m doing something wrong, or haven’t configured something correctly…any ideas?

For battery devices you may need to ensure it stays ‘awake’ during the interview, but since you had issues with hard-wired switches I’m not sure what your issue is.

The disabled entities is nothing to worry about. From what I can tell they are simply sensors that for whatever reason HA thinks aren’t important. Enabling them shouldn’t be an issue at all and they should still have the correct names relative to their function.

If you first rename the ‘device’, HA will ask if you want it to also rename the associated entities.

Well, I feel like an idiot - turns out my NUC has a known issue where wireless radio range is significantly reduced due to some issues with radio interference with USB 3.0, and it is recommended to use a USB extender to avoid the interference.

I did that, and it seems everything is working like a charm. I’m not quite sure I understand how USB 3.0 can interfere with 2.4ghz, but apparently, it can…