ZWave JS suddenly losing devices and entities names . System renaming them by itself! #2018

If you have access to the host OS, the files for zwavejs2mqtt are located in:

/usr/share/hassio/addons/data/a0d7b954_zwavejs2mqtt/store

you’ll have 3 files (they may have different names):

<8_digit_hex_value>.json
<8_digit_hex_value>.metadata.jsonl
<8_digit_hex_value>.values.jsonl

Just copy and paste them to the zwave_js’s container’s location. You’ll have to locate those cache files. The path should be similar.

Here’s a guy made about HassOS users making the switch:

1 Like

This happened to me today. I upgraded to Home Assistant 2021.12.9 and suddenly all my Z-Wave devices and entities with S2 encryption were renamed.

I’ve only ever used zwavejs (I’ve never used ZW2MQTT or other integrations).

In my case, it was the 9 “GE Quick-fit Smart In-Wall Paddle Switch” devices that were renamed. I don’t mind the names changing so much, but the entities changing name was rough; I have to reconfigure them all now.

I had this with the last upgrade too. ONE device changed it’s name from switch.garden_light to switch.gardenlight which meant that the automation to turn it on when I open the backdoor was failing to run. Luckily I noticed pretty quickly that the switch was missing from the lovelace dasboard (entity not found), and was able to quickly trace back the problem from there. Why it changed it’s name though, is a mystery. I’m the only user, I’m the only person who lives here. No-one could have been messing with it, and I certainly haven’t been renaming things.

This happened to me for the first time today upgrading to 0.1.52. Interestingly, all 5 devices were wall switches, and all the same make, model, and firmware.

46201 / ZW4008
by GE/Jasco

Firmware: 5.53

It appears that the driver was modified recently. That may have triggered it.

Same happened here. Not such a great thing when you can’t disarm the alarm from the Ring keypad…

Add me to the list as well. Only 46201 lost the name but all 16 of them did

Created an Issue for Core as that seems to be the culprit for me. Restoring to 2021.12.8 restored functionality. Sadly in my enthusiasm, forgot to grab logs. So if anyone has logs and can post to the issue that may help the devs.

[edit] - known issue going back to Nov last year. Link in issue.

What logs? I haven’t reverted back or started to rename them (the route I’ll likely take) so can get anything that might help.

I think /config/home-assistant.log is the primary one.

I guess that log get cleared out at some interval (sorry, haven’t had to use it yet or look into the details of it). Mine only looks to go back to this morning.

No worries. Looks like the issue is well in hand.

Running the dev branch resolved my issue. Once 2022.2 lands I’ll switch back.

That is interesting - the only one of my devices that renamed itself, was indeed a wall switch. I only have a single one on the network.

1 Like

Same issue here after upgrading from 2021.12.7 to 2021.12.9. Had a bunch of GE/Jasco switches rename. Restored the backup and they came back. Am I correct in understanding this is a known issue fixed in the next version?

I am having this issue with 2 zwave devices (out of 40), it’s weird. their name (and their entities) randomly get reset to their “default” name.
It was happening in 2022.9.4 and it’s also happening in 2022.10.4. I didn’t notice this problem before.

The interview of both devices seems fine, I can see manufacturer’s name, model (shows in the default device name, fw version etc).

I rename them back to the name I want and randomly a few days later they get reset again. This is not related to HA reboots or any other unusual event as far as I could see

Did anyone come up with a fix for this issue? I’m experiencing the same issue with ZwazeJS where several of my zwave devices are renaming themselves back to their default names and the automations I created with them stop working.

In my case a had a couple of devices doing this (out of dozens) every few weeks, I noticed that the device name was getting “reset” to whatever was the device name used in the zwave-js-2-mqtt console. What I did some months ago was to set names of all of the zwave devices in the zwave-js console, matching the name that I had used in Home Assistant. Since then, I didn’t have any re-occurrence. It’s been at least 3 months.

2 Likes

Check your memory usage. High usage can trigger all sorts of weird behavior. See:

Anyone have any update/fix for this? It’s been happening to me from time to time with my Innovelli Reds and blacks, with GE/Jasco switches, and Inovelli light strips as well. Easy to fix but very annoying. Memory usage has never been over 50%.

1 Like

@papacrown What is the easy fix you’re referring to? I have 2 devices that stopped allowing homeassistant to control the switch status. One of those i attempted to “Heal” then “re-interview”…after the re-interview the switch toggle shows on the device page but greyed out. The manufacturer for the device shows “unknown”, and the entity shows the error “This entity is no longer being provided by the zwave_js integration.”

I have several GE/Jasco switches that are having issues. There were a few that were renaming themselves that I seemed to be able to fix by defaulting the switch, removing it from HomeAssistant & Zwave-JS, then adding it again. This seems to have resolved the renaming issue (at least for now).

Sorry not an “easy fix”, more that its just easy to identify which switches have been renamed each time and rename them from the dashboard back to their name.