ZWave JS suddenly losing devices and entities names . System renaming them by itself! #2018

No worries. Looks like the issue is well in hand.

Running the dev branch resolved my issue. Once 2022.2 lands I’ll switch back.

That is interesting - the only one of my devices that renamed itself, was indeed a wall switch. I only have a single one on the network.

1 Like

Same issue here after upgrading from 2021.12.7 to 2021.12.9. Had a bunch of GE/Jasco switches rename. Restored the backup and they came back. Am I correct in understanding this is a known issue fixed in the next version?

I am having this issue with 2 zwave devices (out of 40), it’s weird. their name (and their entities) randomly get reset to their “default” name.
It was happening in 2022.9.4 and it’s also happening in 2022.10.4. I didn’t notice this problem before.

The interview of both devices seems fine, I can see manufacturer’s name, model (shows in the default device name, fw version etc).

I rename them back to the name I want and randomly a few days later they get reset again. This is not related to HA reboots or any other unusual event as far as I could see

Did anyone come up with a fix for this issue? I’m experiencing the same issue with ZwazeJS where several of my zwave devices are renaming themselves back to their default names and the automations I created with them stop working.

In my case a had a couple of devices doing this (out of dozens) every few weeks, I noticed that the device name was getting “reset” to whatever was the device name used in the zwave-js-2-mqtt console. What I did some months ago was to set names of all of the zwave devices in the zwave-js console, matching the name that I had used in Home Assistant. Since then, I didn’t have any re-occurrence. It’s been at least 3 months.

2 Likes

Check your memory usage. High usage can trigger all sorts of weird behavior. See:

Anyone have any update/fix for this? It’s been happening to me from time to time with my Innovelli Reds and blacks, with GE/Jasco switches, and Inovelli light strips as well. Easy to fix but very annoying. Memory usage has never been over 50%.

1 Like

@papacrown What is the easy fix you’re referring to? I have 2 devices that stopped allowing homeassistant to control the switch status. One of those i attempted to “Heal” then “re-interview”…after the re-interview the switch toggle shows on the device page but greyed out. The manufacturer for the device shows “unknown”, and the entity shows the error “This entity is no longer being provided by the zwave_js integration.”

I have several GE/Jasco switches that are having issues. There were a few that were renaming themselves that I seemed to be able to fix by defaulting the switch, removing it from HomeAssistant & Zwave-JS, then adding it again. This seems to have resolved the renaming issue (at least for now).

Sorry not an “easy fix”, more that its just easy to identify which switches have been renamed each time and rename them from the dashboard back to their name.