ZWave JS to MQTT

How do I enable MQTT? Why does it say MQTT is disabled. I have mosquitto broker add on & MQTT integration running. According to ZwaveJS2MQTT docs, it will auto configure itself with MQTT.

have you enabled the mqtt section in the control panel?

I’m not sure what you mean by “auto configure”? I can’t see how it could do that since you need to tell it your broker connection/authentication info.

This is all I see in control panel:

And heres the config doc where it says that…

are you using the mqtt add-on?

in that zwave UI look for the gear icon on the left. close to the bottom there should be a toggle to disable the gateway. if it’s on turn it off

enter your broker config details in the mqtt section and save the config.

1 Like

got it. I didnt understand what that gateway thing meant. But now I see mQTT stuff coming through.

1 Like

@finity

Ideas why when I change a topic, it doesnt seem to affect the device? The topic highlighted in pictures control dim speed. I change it to a 1, see the change in mqtt explorer, but the light switch isnt affected.

Change it to 1 through ZWAVEJS2MQTT add on, see change in explorer, and it does affect the switch.

Only thing different is the addon is changing the time as well. I tried incrementing the number to something higher, but it didnt matter.

I forgot to add /set at end of topic

Hi,

Can someone help me?

1. Im using Zwave2MQTT, fast, stable, when HA restart Zwave is still running
  2. There is now ZwaveJS2MQTT, is this better, faster, any other things to do a migration?
  3. If its better to migrate how to do this:
  • a) Install Zwave2JSMQTT Add-on.
  • b) Write down all settings inside the WebGUI, or export settings?
  • c) Stop Zwave2MQTT, disbals auto start, disable watchdog
  • d) Start ZwaveJS2MQTT, import settings or fill in all settings I write down?
  • e) Will I get the whole network back as it is? Will all entities be replaced by new entities?

Maybe you can help me out with this?

@poudenes this will be your closest bet.

I know this post.
But what I also want to know is the first questions…

Is zwave js better, faster, do I need to switch…

I never used zwave2mqtt so I cant speak on is js is better/faster, etc.

But I think zwave2mqtt is using the older zwave implementation which is now no longer supported and may at some time, be completely wiped??? I dont know though, maybe someone else can answer with facts.

Personally, I’m on zwavejs2mqtt running natively in nodejs (no docker or overhead) and it’s faster in terms of management loading. I only have 14 z-wave devices, so it’s not much of an objective test, but I’d say that my devices do seem faster on z-wavejs than on both the native zwave and ozw beta.

Thanks. So only thing what I can do is:
Backup whole HA system first then:

• a) Install Zwave2JSMQTT Add-on.
  • b) Write down all settings inside the WebGUI, or export settings?
  • c) Stop Zwave2MQTT, disbals auto start, disable watchdog
  • d) Start ZwaveJS2MQTT, import settings or fill in all settings I write down?
  • e) Will I get the whole network back as it is? Will all entities be replaced by new entities?

And see if this will work, if so. Thats ok then im migrated to new implementation.

If not then I can revert back.

Hi All,

I migrated from ZWave2Mqtt to ZwaveJS2Mqtt because Zwave2M deprecated.
Everything went ok. Also enabled the integration Zwave JS.

I see that HA installed Add-on ZwaveJS but didn’t start it.
Can I remove this Add-on? Because I use ZwaveJS2Mqtt with the Zwave JS integration.?

yes, you dont/cant use the zwavejs and zwavejs2mqtt add-ons at the same time. Ok to remove.

I am having an issue where my dimmers are not updating in Home Assistant with changes made at the switch. Commands from HA work perfectly but if I turn a light on or off or dim it from the switch Home Assistant does not reflect the change. I am using WD500Z-1 dimmers and an Aeotec usb stick and connected to HA over MQTT. Sensors on the same zeave network are reporting to HA. Anyone experienced this before?