Zwave network not responsive

I have upgraded my Hassbian Home Assistant to a RP3 B+ and have changed my boot device to a USB drive. Please watch this minute video to see my extremely slow response time. I will take any advice necessary to correct this problem, or otherwise everything is going in the trash!! I finally get my first response about 60 seconds into the video. I have spent countless days working on this and am getting nowhere. Thanks in advance for any help.

We cannot tell from that whether there is a problem with dead nodes, the network needs healing, or perhaps a repeater to reduce the number of hops or latency.

If you are going to trash the system, I will gladly pay for shipping to recycle it for you :wink:

Everything was working before I upgraded to the PI3 b+ and changed the boot drive to USB. No dead nodes, have healed and tested the network. Here are my nodes

Node Friendly name Entity name Zwave device name
1 Aeotec ZW090 Z-Stick Gen5 US zwave.aeotec_zw090_z_stick_gen5_us zwave.aeotec_zw090_z_stick_gen5_us
6 Switch on Jim’s dresser - 6 switch.dome_on_off_plug_in_switch_switch_2 zwave.dome_on_off_plug_in_switch_2
8 Switch behind Jim’s recliner - 8 switch.dome_on_off_plug_in_switch_switch zwave.dome_on_off_plug_in_switch
9 zwave.unknown_node_9
11 Lori bedroom switch - 11 switch.inovelli_nzw36_1_channel_smart_plug_w_scene_switch zwave.inovelli_nzw36_1_channel_smart_plug_w_scene
52 Linear LB60Z-1 Dimmable LED Light Bulb light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_11 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_7
35 Backyard Low Voltage Lights - 35 switch.ge_14284_outdoor_smart_switch_switch zwave.ge_14284_outdoor_smart_switch
36 Entryway light switch controller - 36 sensor.dome_on_off_plug_in_switch_alarm_level_3 zwave.dome_on_off_plug_in_switch_3
37 Dome Motion Detector Sensor binary_sensor.dome_motion_detector_sensor zwave.dome_motion_detector
41 Garage Workshop - 41 light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_2 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_3
42 Back Porch Light - 42 light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_3 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_4
43 Middle Garage - 43 light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_4 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_5
44 Lori Garage - 44 light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_6 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_6
45 Front Gate - 45 light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_7 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_9
46 Light Over Front Entry - 46 light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_8 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_10
48 Courtyard house - 48 light.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_level_10 zwave.linear_lb60z_1_dimmable_led_light_bulb_12
49 Dome Siren Switch - 49 switch.dome_siren_switch_2 zwave.dome_siren_2

There are several missing node numbers there. From what I understand, if the node was defined on the controller & is no longer available it will still try to route through those nodes. I believe, Ideally the node numbers should be consecutive with few to no gaps.

I was able to use Zensys Tools on Windows to reset my controller & rebuild my extremely small network a while back. I do not know it it works with all USB Z-Wave controllers though.

Apparently others have reset the z-stick.

1 Like

Thanks! I had a new z-stick lying around so I plugged that in and started adding nodes. It is performing much, much better now. I am in the process of re-adding all my lights, switches, etc, and things have definitely improved.

1 Like

I am just new and stumbling along here. I believe the network is supposed to be limited to 4 hops but, of course, less is better.
After you have added all your nodes you are supposed to heal the network.
From my understanding when you add node 2 it only knows about the controller. When you add node 3 it knows about 2 and the controller but 2 does not know about node 3.

I used a new z-stick and re paired my components…much better

Thanks for your feedback!!

1 Like