Zwave on Synology DSM 7?

Did you install the cp210x.ko driver first?
You can download the driver here: http://www.jadahl.com/

Then run:
sudo insmod /lib/modules/usbserial.ko
sudo insmod /lib/modules/cp210x.ko

Regards
Jadahl

Buy me one and I’ll test it for you.

When I was looking at your (that) site last week, it was having intermittent connectivity issues. Sometimes responding, sometimes dead.

Server crash :slight_smile:

Thank you!

I was waiting for cc2652rb.ko … but it is cp210x.ko.

Hi all,

I just opened a specific thread on a new issue related to this one, that I felt it was better to have in a separate thread on its own.

For those of you using Z-Stick Gen5 it might be worth taking a read and participate:

@Jumbotroll, I found your bluetooth .ko files: Index of /iperf-arp-scan/DSM_7.0/apollolake/apollolake-BT/New
But had some error:
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/modules/bluetooth.ko: Invalid module format
do you know if its working?

No, It was only compiled for an another user and is only a test.
You need some more files for this to work and maybe it will be a solution for bluetooth later…

Regards
Jadahl

1 Like

I know this topic is for Zwave, but has anyone come across a specific Bluetooth LE 4.0 or 5.0 USB dongle that works in DSM7 with the included drivers? Assuming they get enabled using modprobe or a script etc.

I’m just about to buy a Bluetooth stick and wanted to ask if there’s any ones that are known to be working.

1 Like

I use Bluetooth LE 5.0 USB dongle from Cambridge Silicon Radio with DSM7.
It works pretty stable, no errors or problems. Home Assistant runs in VM, not in Docker

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Can you share which brand/model it is? E.g. “TP-Link UB500” ? It’s not easy to tell, before buying, which chipsets are used by each dongle.

1 Like

It is a noname from China, identical to this one:

1 Like

Just FYI, inside a VM the guest OS will handle the USB devices, there’s not direct support on the host OS necessary (as opposed to using Docker).

Yes and no. The host OS still needs to be able to identify and load the physical device as a serial device or comms port at the sub-system I/O level to pass communication from an application to the device. This requires the host to have a bare bones driver. Synology DSM 7 removed about 90% of these drivers that were previously in DSM 6. This is why those on DSM 7 need to find a driver compiled for their CPU architecture and manually initiate the comms port (the three commands posted previously). After that, then yes, the device is passed to a guest and the guest container or VM handles further setup and communication/configuration such as opening the comms port. Without doing this, the host OS has no idea a device is even plugged in and therefore can’t even pass a device to a guest.

Generic USB is supported by DSM7, it just doesn’t have specific drivers for specific devices, that’s what those modules provide to Docker containers or native apps (everything that uses the host kernel directly).

A ​VM can access the generic USB subsystem (which, again, is supported by DSM7) if you enable USB passthrough so the kernel inside the VM can load its own modules to implement specific support.

E.g., this is what lsusb on DSM7 shows when I plug in a Bluetooth USB stick (for which it has no drivers):

|__1-1.4     0a5c:200a:0001 e0  1.10   12MBit/s 100mA 3IFs (Broadcom Bluetooth USB Dongle 2035B0000001)

So it recognizes the USB device, I just can’t use it from DSM.

I can configure a virtual USB controller for my Ubuntu VM though and pass the device through:

With that, I can control the Bluetooth dongle from the VM:

$ hcitool scan
Scanning ...
	60:6D:C7:95:B3:EE	KDL-43W805C

(that’s my Sony TV)

No need for explicit DSM Bluetooth support.

3 Likes

I am trying to get the Z-wave.me UZB1 dongle to work with the DS220+. I went to the jadahl site, downloaded the DSM 7 Gemini Lake files, followed the readme by copying the driver files and startup script, and restarted the DS220+ but the UZB1 is not identified when I execute the dmesg command. Do I need different drivers? Thanks.

Finally able to muster enough courage to upgrade to DSM 7. I followed Jadahl’s instructions on his site for my apollolake NAS and I am happy to share that my HUSBZB-1 dongle is working.

Just want to add to this chat to ease up the uncertainties of others who are in the same boat.

2 Likes

Hello Ericp how do I list the name of my USB device on DSM 7 ?

Hi midget, if you SSH into your NAS, you can do a

dmesg | grep tty

and it will show you the devices you have.

Hope this helps.

Trying to understand the current state as I’d like to upgrade to DSM 7. Given the problems with USB sticks and no ability to downgrade, I am starting to think about getting another Synology just to test on 7.0.

Currently I am running in Docker using an Aeotec Gen 5 stick. Does anyone has this Config working with that stick?

I could move to running a VM. This approach seems to be more successful on 7.0. Does anyone have this working with the Aoetec stick?