Zwave on Synology

Hello
I have a Synology DS416j (not eligible to Docker), so I’ve been following the manual install process for several hours now: https://home-assistant.io/docs/installation/synology/
After fighting against the boring netdisco (thank you Error starting Home Assistant on Synology for first time), I’m now struggling with Zwave.

I have a Aeotec Zstick Gen5, and when HASS starts it says "The following components and platforms could not be set up: zwave. Please check your config.

In the info tab I found this info:

Unable to install package python_openzwave==0.4.0.35: Command "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-louhzabp/python-openzwave/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-ks81swy4-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --prefix --compile --user --prefix=" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-louhzabp/python-openzwave/

I tried to install python_openzwave manually, and then I got this error message:

Command "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin/python3 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-x_4lzt4j/python-openzwave/setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n', '\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-m_3ebf8s-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-x_4lzt4j/python-openzwave/

Any idea what is wrong with my config?

Thank you!

Like netdisco, openzwave needs additional libraries to compile. You can follow the same approach as outlined in the topic for netdisco but the openzwave python package needs a library called ‘libudev’ to run. So even after the chroot install, you won’t be able to import this package in homeassistant.

I haven’t found a solution to this except trying to manually install libudev and dependencies. Keeping it up to date will be hell so I’m instead going to switch to a raspberry pi. It’s just $30 and saves you a world of hassle.

1 Like