ZWave randomly died on me

I recall reading others having similar issues with the 2023.12 release, mostly with zigbee and zha but there were some reporting zwave issues as well. There were patches that came out in the newer release. Are you on the latest 2023.12.3 release now?

It means your USB device is missing. Try physically removing it and plugging it back in, then restarting HAOS.

Did you do any updates to HAOS?

Yes I am. I saw some threads from a couple of months ago, but nothing recent.

I don’t think that’s the only issue here. the error message there showing the data it received - is not even valid JSON. It’s missing a } and it has a comma, suggesting that there should be more options - which obviously there should, stuff like the Network code, security keys etc.

That did not seem to help.

Everything is up to date.

There is more data in the error, but I assumed I shouldn’t post the keys listed in it.

I mean, that’s good security practice for sure, but it’s better to post the full error and obfuscate anything that might be a security issue.

For ZWave though, someone would need to be pretty much in your house, to exploit your security keys being posted.

This error message is produced when the USB device is not available. Generally, once the add-on is configured the settings don’t change and cause this error, only when the USB path goes missing.

What I meant was, did you do any updates to HAOS recently that could have caused this? There are several open issues related to USB problems from HAOS 11.2.

And here is another topic with USB problems after 11.2 upgrade.

So you are seemingly correct. I tried it again, this time moving the USB stick to another port. Once I did that, everything came back online again. Thanks!

Ok, so apparently not a result of 11.2. I guess either you’ve got a bad USB port, or the initial unplug/re-plug didn’t work, or it was just a momentary glitch. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

…and my ZWave network is down again this morning. :frowning:

Anyone got any other ideas?

So I pulled my zwave dongle out of my server and plugged it into my PC. Seems its dead. Fuck.

Is there any easy way to migrate everything to a new zwave stick?

Did you ever backup the NVM? The zwave network is stored on the zstick in the nvram. If you backed up the NVM you can restore that to a new stick and get the network working.

Screenshot from 2023-12-18 15-53-21

If you don’t have an NVM backup and the zstick is dead, I’m afraid your network is gone at that point, and you will need to factory reset and/or exclude all devices and re-include with the new stick.

Its intermittently working. I’ve got a Zooz 800 on the way. If I can back up my HUSBZB, I can restore it to the new Zooz?

What software would you suggest?

Unfortunately, you have two problems:

1. NVM restores to 800-series are not supported by Z-Wave JS yet
  2. Unless you already upgraded the firmware on your Nortek, an NVM backup will not be supported by Z-Wave JS
1 Like

What stick are you recommending now-a-days?

Well then, I guess I’m rebuilding the network. Are you guys familiar with any ‘easy’ way to do that?

I got my new Zooz 800, but I’m not sure how to proceed. Do I just delete the old stick? I was hoping HA would prompt me with something, but it didn’t.

You’re not going to get any prompt to install anything for this controller. Just delete the integration (and verify the add-on is uninstalled as a result) and start over, manually installing it according to the docs (see “If your dongle is not recognized, follow these steps”).

If you ever thought of switching to Z-Wave JS UI, now would be a good time to do so.

1 Like