ZWave sensor asleep

My Zooz ZWave 4 in 1 sensor appears to go to sleep overnight and does not function the next day. The sensor blinks so I don’t think it is asleep, the light it triggers I can turn on manually from HA. I did a Restart with no success, then a Reboot and the sensor works again.

I would say that something in HA is not seeing the sensor until the system is rebooted.
I’m running on a Pi 3B, HA 2023.3.6, Sup 2023.04.0

Your thoughts?

In the Z-Wave ecosystem you have (3) roles types Reporting Sleeping Slaves, Listening Sleeping Slaves, and Always On Slaves. According to the information I found on the Z-Wave Alliance Product Page, The Zooz ZSE40 is a Reporting Sleeping Slave. This means that it will always show as sleep in home assistant. Once you wake this device up manually or it auto wakes up at the interval you have set it will change its state to awake. Despite the device showing as asleep it can still send messages it just can’t receive them until it is woken up.

Final Thoughts: There is nothing wrong with your device and its working as expected.

Sounds like it is dropping off the network, not sleeping. How is the link quality for the device when it is working?

It could also be z-wave is not working right any ore in HA. Do other z-wave devices work when the sensor is down?

I have restored HA to version 2023.2.4 and the motion sensor works reliably.
This leads me to think the problem is with HA 2023.3.6. I can get the devices to work by rebooting HA but they go out by the next morning.

All ZWave devices I have act the same ( 3-Smoke/CO2 detectors & water/temp sensor) but since they don’t activate like the motion detector I normally do not see that they are not working, I do look at the temp sensor and it reports the same temp which leads me to believe it is reporting the last known value. The motion sensor is in the same room as the ZWave dongle so don’t think it is an issue with link quality.

Note to all- I upgraded to HA OS 10 and the ZWave devices seem to be staying on the network. Go figure.

1 Like