Zwave Smart Plug with Power Monitoring

I was hoping someone might have a suggestion for a Zwave smart plug with power monitoring. I would like to send a notification to my wife’s phone when the washer is done. I figure this could be sensed when the power usage dropped off. Any suggestion on which plug might work?

I use the Aeotec Smart Switch 6. I too have been using it to indicate when the washing machine has finished. To add to this, I use SmartThings Hub and the ST-MQTT bridge to communicate with HA.

I don’t have a SmartThings Hub do you think I would still be able to pull this off using the Aeotec Smart Switch 6?

I use the Z wave plugs from Monoprice for this. They’re usually pretty cheap.

Usually a SmartThings Hub is just the Z-wave controller. I assume you already have some sort of z-wave hub that’s connected to Home Assistant? I for example, have used both the Aeotec Gen 5 USB stick and the Nortek HUSBZB-1 USB sick. These allow HA to directly control or monitor any z-wave devices I have. No need for SmartThings Hub or any type of bridge.

So basically the bottom line is… As long you have any kind of z-wave hub that allows HA to see/control your z-wave you should be able to pull this off. The brand or type of hub is not what matters. Only that HA can interact with the plug.

Personally I only use z-wave for light switches, in-wall outlets, and security devices. My go to for a “smart plug with power monitoring” is the Sonoff S31 flashed with Tasmota

It depends on what zwave features and command classes your controller supports. If it supports the command classes that the Smart Switch 6 uses, particularly those for sending metering reports, then you should be fine…but that’s not always easy to figure out.