Zwave starter guide

Can someone point me to a good zwave starter guide? Everything I have found focuses on adding z wave to home assistant. I am looking for a guide on how to expose and add zwave devices to automatons. Based on my searching it seems to be a totally different animal that how you do zigbee devices.

Hi,
I’ve tens of Z-Wave devices, and many Zigbee devices - they are accessed in exactly the same ways in HASS. Both Add-Ons abstract the hardware and protocols into the same switches, lights, and sensors as others.
There are some differences in the way the integrations configure devices (e.g. status LEDs on a mains switch), and how they respond (e.g. wake up battery devices to make configuration faster), but that’s it.

Plug a decent co-ordinator into USB, and HASS has a good chance to auto-configuring from there (e.g. Aeotec Z-Wave, or NabuCasa SkyConnect based on SilLabs Zigbee/ Thread). Messing about with S0 keys is not something you worry about.

Ignore Z-Wave scene groups and Zigee direct associations and use HASS features.

If this helps, :heart: this post!

maybe I just started with a bad device then. I’m adding a zen34 and I get the successful add message after I put in the Pin but what is exposed is pretty useless. I expected to see at least 2 button controls but instead I just see this.

The controller I am using is a Zooz 700 series with firmware 7.17.2

When I press the buttons I see Scenes happening but I don’t know how to make use of those in automatons

this is an example of what I see in the log when I press the remote switch

Z-Wave Plus 700 Series Remote Switch fired Central Scene CC ‘value notification’ event for ‘Scene 002’: ‘KeyPressed’

Okay I figured it out, I had to install a blueprint for the automation. Sorry this aspect is a bit new to me.