Zwave stick not found, no ttyACM*

Hi All,

Its my first post, a problem drove me here. After a rapsbian upgrade to Buster and a restart the Z-Wave stick does not work. I suspect something with a driver. But i cant find many details on this point.

Home assistant cant find ttyACM0. Currently there is no ttyACM*

Searching for the problem:

the stick shows up in the usb listing (lsusb)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0658:0200 Sigma Designs, Inc. Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (ZW090) - UZB

On the driver messages (dmesg)

[    2.271437] usb 1-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[    2.404691] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0658, idProduct=0200
[    2.407398] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[    5.781436] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg

Reading other post with logs in it, I would expect another line.
[ 2.4******* ] cdc_acm 1-1.4:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

Can any one confirm that the missing line is a symptom of the problem, And/Or tell me whats wrong?

Kjors

This may offer some help.

Hope it’s of help.

If you use a Pi4, try to use the stick via a simple USB 2.0 hub. There is a suspected USB specs issue with the Aeon stick which causes a problem with Pi 4 new USB controller.

If it’s not a Pi4, then do you have anything else connected to any other USB port? Sometimes they are conflicting and only the faster device gets recognized upon boot.

Thanks both,

Found that topic already. I am using a rpi3b.

I looked at cdc_acm, its a kernel module. Thats not giving the suspected message. The command lsmod shows an empty list.

looking at the boot log showed: (cat /var/log/syslog)

Aug  4 12:09:07 Groot systemd-udevd[140]: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+/modules.dep.bin'
Aug  4 12:09:07 Groot systemd-udevd[140]: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+/modules.dep.bin'
Aug  4 12:09:07 Groot systemd[1]: Found device /dev/serial1.
Aug  4 12:09:07 Groot systemd-udevd[137]: could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+/modules.dep.bin'

Looking at /lib/modules/* I see 4.19.57+ and 4.19.57-v7+.

Not sure how to fix that, other than a reinstall.

And its solved,

The kernel got updated, upgrading to buster. So the /lib/modules/** got replaced to there new version.
Upgrading the kernel uses the /boot folder. aka the “boot” partition. Using an hdd to run rasbian i had the following following partitions: (spot the disaster)

sd - boot (used to boot)
hdd - boot (mouted as /boot)
hdd - rootfs (mounded as / , contains /lib/modules)

knowing everything above, the solution: Fixing /boot at fstab to the correct partition, upgrading to the correct kernel matching /lib/modules.

How did you make for fix?

I corrected the boot folder to be the same as the one form where the pi booted. For me the SD card. Correction can be done in the file fstab.

The problem I had, only can occur when a pi runs form a harddisk. Then the first time starting HA, after a upgrade of the operating system.