Zwave via ZWaveJStoMQTT - what the heck - I had everything looking great and then - no more add or remove

So I was excited to migrate my Z-wave stuff from ST over to my HA server. After reading some posts and clearing up the addon vs integration confusion (I believe), I had the ZWaveJStoMQTT addon installed, Z-Wave integration, and not the Z-Wave JS addon. One by one I removed almost 10 of my Zooz and Inovelli switches and my Schlage lock and moved them over and everything looked great. I got excited and just removed the remaining dozen or so devices from my ST hub and powered it down, as most everything it had done I already do or can do with HA. Next I ran out to do some errands.

I came back 2 hours later and started trying to add devices again. All had been properly excluded. Nothing worked. Tried resets. Nope. Rebooted, still nada. Removed the addon and integration and rebooted. I even tried removing my Zooz S2 Z-wave 700 controller that had been working fine to start over. Nothing has fixed it.

Logs don’t show anything I can ID as obvious issues. There were some ingress error messages now and again, but the reboots and resets seem to have eliminated those - for now, at least. I do see messages now that Node 1 (my USB stick controller) doesn’t support group associations, and I don’t recall seeing that warning before, but maybe I just missed it. At this point I literally have no idea how to proceed as I have nothing paired and nothing that will add. Slowly leaning towards a reinstall, but that seems like crazy overkill. I thought I’d ask the smart folks here for help first…

Starting with the basics; do you have the ZWavwJStoMQTT configuration pointing to the right usb location? Mine uses: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_6130241D-if00-port0. This was a stumbling block for me initially. Were you coming from the old ZWave or OpenZWave?

Thanks for the reply, @LCSteve. I go have it pointing to the right USB location. It’s using the by-id path as well. I didn’t come from any prior Z-wave implementation on HA, as I’ve been using SmartThings for that. I realize I should also mention I’m on Home Assistant OS, to keep things as straightforward as possible.

By way of an update I did a fresh install of HA OS and restored my config except the ZW2MQTT and Mosquitto addons. The Z-wave JS integration was still there, and it is showing my Zooz S2 USB stick - though it is also prompting me that it has discovered new devices and to configure Z-wave JS (which would try to install the Supervisor addon). I’ve ignored that.

Anyway, I have been able to add about a half dozen Leviton dimmer plugs and also one of my Inovelli LZW31-SN dimmers. I can’t seem to add my Zooz ZEN22 v3 dimmers, or my Schlage Connect lock (the latter using secure inclusion, fwiw). So it seems like it might just be bugs in the current state of Z-wave JS…

Another update - definitely starting to think I’ll have to report this as a Zwave JS bug. I removed the faceplate from the nearest Zooz dimmer (seems odd as it is only 15 ft and 1 wall away from the Zooz controller stick, but I read it on Reddit and it does seem to help). I started trying to exclude it, and then also to include it again afterwards, and I get the same behavior in both cases. The include/exclude process stops and I see a log event that looks something like this, but there are never any nodes added or removed:

2021-04-19 11:34:18.131 INFO ZWAVE: Calling api startExclusion with args: [ [length]: 0 ]
2021-04-19 11:34:18.172 INFO ZWAVE: Controller status: Exclusion started
2021-04-19 11:34:18.175 INFO ZWAVE: Success zwave api call startExclusion { success: true, message: ‘Success zwave api call’, result: true }
2021-04-19 11:34:25.079 INFO ZWAVE: Controller status: Exclusion stopped
2021-04-19 11:35:37.619 INFO APP: GET / 304 2.596 ms - -
2021-04-19 11:35:37.779 INFO APP: GET /static/js/app.3d46471bfe4826ae6731.js 304 1.628 ms - -
2021-04-19 11:35:37.913 INFO APP: GET /static/css/app.ea4bb18e2276769ee7dc.css 304 1.984 ms - -
2021-04-19 11:35:38.536 INFO APP: GET /api/auth-enabled 304 3.110 ms - -
2021-04-19 11:35:38.835 INFO APP: GET /static/logo.png 304 1.334 ms - -
2021-04-19 11:35:38.935 INFO APP: GET /static/fonts/MaterialIcons-Regular.fa3334f.woff2 304 1.675 ms - -
2021-04-19 11:35:39.174 INFO APP: GET /api/settings 200 103.844 ms - 27267
2021-04-19 11:35:39.367 INFO APP: GET /api/auth-enabled 304 2.992 ms - -

Have you been able to get anything to include at all? If not with ZWaveJS2MQTT trying disabling it and add OpenZWave and see if it allows you to add. If you can that maybe your easy way to go, the migration was OZW to ZWaveJS2MQTT was pretty painless using the guides from Petro. Takes minutes really and worked like a champ for me (except my secure items which as it turns out was my own fault) but they work fine now. After the migration you can remove OZW if you want or like a number of us have done just leave it inactive. The nice thing with these is you can deactivate one and activate the other with a few clicks. You will lose some naming conventions but it’s actually handy to have both even if you don’t plan on using the new one. This is because in ZWaveJS2MQTT you have a lot of options and a big draw for me was being able to delete old dead nodes. I mean really who doesn’t have a couple node skeletons in the closet they want out of the device list. You can delete them in the new one and deactivate it and go back to OZW and have a nice clean node list. I went back and forth a couple times but decided to stay for all the nice features.

I was able to add devices, but only a few before I started seeing ingress messages and experienced the inability to add more. I ended up doing an absolutely clean install to make sure that I don’t have any skeletons as I’d previously migrated from Hass Supervised on Debian to Hass OS - so I hear ya, LOL.

I’m defintely leaning towards just using OZW for now, as it seems like it might be more ready for primetime than Z-wave JS is at the moment.

What versions of HA and the add-on are you using? Are you using Home Assistant for adding the devices (WS) or the ZWaveJS2MQTT Control Panel? Do you have the Z-Wave JS integration or just use the devices through MQTT?

I’m running Home Assistant OS 5.13, core is 4.6, and the addon was v12, now v13. I had tried both places after the Control Panel approach failed, but when neither worked for these cases it has been almost all Control Panel. I do have the Z-Wave JS integration.

I do have an update. After trying OZW beta and realizing that probably wasn’t going to get me there, I reinstalled the ZWaveJS2MQTT and Z-Wave JS setup again - and I’m having quite a bit of success. I got all my Inovelli switches up, and most of my Zooz devices as well though I’m having one that doesn’t want to cooperate. My Schlage lock isn’t playing well, either.

This was working on v12 though I updated to v13 about halfway through. I actually updated the firmware on all my switches as well, which was awesome. That didn’t go without hiccups but very cool that it worked.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get the Schlage and the last Zooz switch up. I’ve heard the Qubino Flush 2 devices I have can be tricky, so I’ll try them last after I get these and the Z-wave plugs up.

I don’t know why it is working this time. I will note, however, that even though I still see the occasional ingress error reported, at least now it is to a host IP and not a network IP., thankfully.

1 Like

Another update just for folks that may run into similar struggles. I can’t seem to get the Schlage to do a full pair, as it shows the red X on the lock every time I go through the process, but it DID pair on some level. HA is seeing it as an Allegion (they own Schlage) Touchscreen Deadbolt model BE469. Unfortunately it won’t let me lock or unlock it at the moment, though. Key to getting this far I think was putting my Z-wave USB controller on a long extension cable to get it within like 3-4 INCHES of the lock. I know it has more range because my hub that it was working with before is like 45 ft away one floor above through like 3-4 walls. It just seems to be REALLY sensitive on the pairing and exclusion process (it’s not just HA - to exclude I had get my ST hub super close to remove it as well).

I also just got the last ZEN22 v3 re-added, so while I have some work to do on my Qubino Flush 2 and the Schalge Lock, I’m really, really pleased.