ZWAVE2MQTT add-on simple tutorial(addon is DEPRECATED)

When nodes are discovered in ZWAVE2MQTT, then they appear in HA integration, main powered first, battery powered later, when they wake up.

What Iā€™ve found is that spaces in the name of an imported cfg file will cause problemsā€¦

1 Like

I think there are still ā€œthings/bugs/problemsā€ to be fixed in the add-on, to be fully reliable.

I would like to move my existing HA Zwave integration to a separate Raspberry Pi running Zwave2MQTT in Docker. Does anybody know which additional steps would be needed apart from setting up Zwave2MQTT on the Pi to move the existing Zwave network over?

1 Like

I tried but donā€™t see as lock domain so no control I but there there is one binary_sensor as shown below.

binary_sensor.nodeid_36_lock

while from Home Assistant it would show as

lock.garage_entrance_door_lock

Also, I donā€™t see Liner GD00Z-4 garage opener either as it gives error in ozw_log.txt that

2019-08-04 19:09:51.798 Info, Node035, Secure CommandClass 0x66 - NOT SUPPORTED

From that error looks like the underline openzwave still doesā€™t have support for COMMAND_CLASS_BARRIER_OPERATOR (102), yes I have it added using secured node and have security key set and works from direct Home Assistant but not from zwave2mqtt

Thanks for your reply, guess Iā€™ll wait a bit longer to migrate as have several zwave locks

1 Like

As far as i read, thermostats also donā€™t work yet. Once the most common things are supported i think it will be one of the better options.

1 Like

Thanks for this good Torturial, i have setup the System and its still running. It detects all already connected devices on my Aeon Stick, but only basicaly. I did not see vendor or more details of the device. Also the node configuration tab is empty. But basic functions like ā€œswitchā€ appear in the Node user tab and working. If i connect the same stick in HA its detect all devices with vendor informations. Is there any issue with already connected zwave devices? i still use the same network key in both configurations.

1 Like

Any advice here. I finally got zwave2mqtt installed,have my security key that I had in Zwave before the migration yet I donā€™t have any lock entities that allow me to lock and unlock my z-wave kwickset lock. Any ideas?

I even removed it from z-wave and re-added ensuring I was using secure inclusion.

Zwave2Mqtt got an update with lock Support. 2.0.3 ist the new version.check for updates . Then I saw that the lock would show up as switch which can be easily changed into a lock I didnā€™t test so far but will give a Feedback as soon as I got it running with all needed information

Hello people ā€¦ I tried setting this up but failedā€¦ devices have never been discovered by homeassistant. I followed the instructions on the zwave2mqtt wiki but nothing happenedā€¦ the worse was that my zwave devices have not been discovered correctly by telling me unknown id ā€¦ beside the node name.

Has someone a runnning zwave2mqtt and could make a short tutorial? I alread followed one but also failed. I am using latest 2.0.3 zwave2mqtt.

Would like to replace my standard zwave

btwā€¦ i am using mwtt addon from hassio

You must wait to nodes wake up, or wake them manual

i have always waken up devices but devices are still shown as unknown :confused:

1 Like

Fantastic tutorial! I now have 2nd setup running as PoC based on the above. When succesfull Iā€™ll replace my main setup with the Zwave2MQTT add-on. BTW i did not change my configuration.yaml for MQTT but used the ā€˜integrationsā€™ instead.

Some observations though:

• Anyone else having trouble when using a port different then 1883? 8883 results in

OpenSSL Error: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number

• Despite of the port being used (Iā€™m now using the default 1883 as the SSL doesnā€™t seem to work), does anyone get the following in the Hass.io logging?
19-09-05 18:30:10 ERROR (MainThread) [asyncio] Fatal error on transport
protocol: <uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol object at 0x76207670>
transport: <TCPTransport closed=False reading=False 0x71c067f0>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "uvloop/sslproto.pyx", line 574, in uvloop.loop.SSLProtocol._do_shutdown
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/ssl.py", line 778, in unwrap
    return self._sslobj.shutdown()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: KRB5_S_INIT] application data after close notify (_ssl.c:2629)

The login seems to work and there are no noticeable issues (so far) but I find a bit weird though.

Cheers,

1 Like

Now that Iā€™m using this plugin instead of the ZWave integration I found out that I seem to miss the ability to configure my sensors. For example my Neo motion sensors can be configured (e.g. detection time, sensitivity level, led blink, etc.). Until now I have not seen this possibility in the plugin; am I missing something here?

Also, after a HomeAssistant reboot it might take quite some time to see your sensors appearing again in the MQTT integration. This can be sped up by disconnect/connect ZWAVE2MQTT from MQTT broker. Maybe something to be automated?

@kylerw Same problem here. Can see the devices in MQTT Broker and MQTTBox but canā€™t get them to be discovery in Hass.io (in docker) - Any solution?

Iā€™ve not tested since my original post and was not able to find a solution. Iā€™ve gone back to built in Zwave integration for now but plan to revisit soon.

I will add or refer you to my previous comment - spaces in the config does cause problems with the discovery which may be what you are seeing.

1 Like

Thanks - Got discovery working well but now I while I have all the devices nothing is updating?