Zwave2Mqtt add-on

Edit/TLDR: main problem: all nodes in Zwave2MQTT appears as “dead” after some time. Everything seems to be working up until then, despite some error messages in the log.

Running Rpi 3b+, with Aeotec stick gen 5. Memory card recently fried, so I’m starting over, and was adviced to use Zwave2MQTT.

My z-wave network consist of 19 fibaro dimmers, 4 heatit termostats, 8 aeotec multisensors and some wall plugs, a total of 44 nodes.

I’ve attatched several screenshots of the zwave2mqtt configuration, a screenshot of the log from the zwave2mqtt add-on, and some screenshots from the node list in zwave2mqtt and home assistant.

I followed this tutorial setting it up: ZWAVE2MQTT add-on simple tutorial

As I’ve understood it, the z-wave network config is located on the z-stick, and is what zwave2mqtt is using to populate the list of nodes in the web UI.

1. My first question is how long does it take to fully populate the list after the add-on is started? It seems it takes far longer than it use to when I had all the nodes in home assistant.

2. When the add-on is started/restarted, the process often freezes, and I have to restart the add-on. Then it might populate the entire list of nodes with names. After a restart I can see the list of 44 nodes, but at first it’s empty, then it fills our with either “unknown” or dimmers/multisensor etc. The “unknowns” are later updated to dimmer/multisensors. But like I said, this freezes form time to time. Normally the population process stops half way through.

3. I have been able to control some of the entities from home assistant, like one of the wall plugs. But it is slow. It is as slow/random like it was in home assistant after a reeboot and the z-wave network was starting. Sometimes the command goes through at once, sometimes after 5-6 seconds. Sometimes nothing happens.

4. home assitant is populated, but never with all of the nodes. The most I’ve had is 14 of 18 dimmers. I delete the device_registry and entity_registry after each attemt, and delete the mqtt integration and do a restart of home assitant to start fresh.

5. Several entities are missing from home assitant.

6. So I figure I need to give the add-on time to connect to all nodes and figure out the network. So I leave it for a couple of hours and come back, but then everything has froze, and the nodes/entities are unavailable or unresponsive in home assitant.

7. update: most recent observation: after being away for 15 minutes, I saw the entire list populate with names in zwave2mqtt, but upon refresh the entire list was empty except for the z-stick. (last image). The log still updates with similar lines as shown in other screenshot. Is there some way to export the log somehow?

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Retroknut,

I‘m experiencing the same issue.

Did you solve it? What are your learnings?

Thanks
mny

I’m afraid not. In the end I had to revert back to the native Home assistant solution( which works fine)

I was thinking it might be an issue with the raspberry pi model 3.

Thanks for your quick answer.

The advantage of zwave2mqtt is that you don‘t have to wait for zwave to start…

I‘ll try and revert back, too.