Zwave2mqtt set zwave parameters

Hi all,

I decided to ditch my vera Zwave hub and bought an Aeotec Zwave USB stick and now I have setup https://github.com/OpenZWave/Zwave2Mqtt . It works well.

However:
I have a couple of Fibaro 3-in-one sensors that give off an annoying light everytime they detect motion. With the vera I managed to disable this by “setting a parameter”:

…this was far from straightforward, but I managed to do it via the vera admin interface. When pairing these devices with my USB-stick the light is back so I am assuming I need to set this parameter again somehow, which I haven’t been able to do.

I gave https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave-control-panel a shot without success. Is there any way I can do this via zwave2mqtt?

any insight would be great.

thanks!

zwave2mqtt has its own control panel, you just change the config options there.

Hi @freshcoast,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I used the control panel to set it up. Problem is that I need to set “Parameter 80” (according to link in previous post), but my control panel looks like this:

…I can’t see any reference to “Parameter 80”?

Could it be that I am missing the .xml file that defines Fibaro devices?

Your screen shots don’t show the “Configuration” panel, just “System” and “User”. However, as you mention, the device is showing up as “Unknown”. In that case, the configuration parameters won’t be available because OZW doesn’t know about it. If this is a newer Fibaro device, you’ll need to create a new device XML file. If it’s a new version of an existing device, you can just add a reference to an existing file in the manufacturer_specific.xml file using the new product ID. In either case, you’ll find directions here.

It’s possible the device has a config in OZW 1.6, but by default zwave2mqtt is still using 1.4. It sounds like some have gotten 1.6 to work with it, but I’m not too familiar with that to recommend anything.

Ok so I did some more digging.

My device is recognized as “Home Security Sensor Unknown: type=0801, id=1001 (FIBARO System)” in the zwave2mqtt gui.

When looking in the config directory of openzwave in the file “manufacturer_specific.xml”:

$ grep -i fibaro manufacturer_specific.xml | grep 1001
                <Product type="0301" id="1001" name="FGRM222 Roller Shutter Controller 2" config="fibaro/fgrm222.xml"/>
                <Product type="0800" id="1001" name="FGMS001 Motion Sensor" config="fibaro/fgms.xml" />
                <Product type="0b00" id="1001" name="FGFS101 Flood Sensor" config ="fibaro/fgfs101.xml" />

…so, no “type 0801”. I am assuming I need to get that file.

:slight_smile: we posted at more or less at the same time so I did not see your reply before I clicked reply

Yep. What device do you have exactly?

I think it is this one:

…but I don’t know if there are variant of it? In my manufacturer_specific.xml file there is an entry of “type=0800” (and not “0801” that I have) - but it does have “name=FGMS001 Motion Sensor”. Perhaps adding a line pointing to the same file for 0801 would do the trick?

…gave a bit of inspiration. Or maybe a newer version of OpenZwave has the right definition file and I could just use that?

Since doing this needs re-pairing of devices I can’t try right now but will when I get home tonight.

…has

<!--<Product type="0801" id="1001" name="FGMS001 Motion Sensor" config="fibaro/fgms.xml" />-->
    <Product config="fibaro/fgmszw5.xml" id="1001" name="FGMS001-ZW5 Motion Sensor" type="0801"/>

maybe this is my best bet. Stealing that file and putting it in my config dir?

It should be a known device. There is an entry for it in the OZW 1.4 manufacture_specific.xml:

I guess double check your file is the same.

This one is from OZW 1.6, which has a different XML schema, but it’s essentially the same as 1.4

How did you install zwave2mqtt? Where is your config path?

I installed according to:

…the " NodeJS or PKG version"…

I double checked my “config path” and it should be correct.

In 1.4, I do not have an entry for 0801, so I am sure that’s the issue. Now I need to create one I guess. So you’re saying the 1.6 version won’t work for 1.4?

Ah. I assume you did this?

wget http://old.openzwave.com/downloads/openzwave-1.4.1.tar.gz

Those files are really old, you are indeed missing all the config updates plus any bug fixes since 2016 or so! You should download a newer version. Either git clone https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/ and select the 1.4 branch, or download the latest 1.4 zip file, https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/archive/1.4.zip.

Ahhhh great.

Yes, I followed the instructions on the page without realizing this. I will do a reinstall tonight after making sure I have the “latest” of the 1.4 version.

Big thanks for your input. I will post here how things go if anyone else stumbles on this in the future.

That should do it. If you’re familiar with Docker, you might give that a try as well, it seems to ship with the latest files. I searched my container:

root@dev:/var/lib/docker/overlay2/bf8fcd5912d1cd13096e42e5d821dafa9a19090bbb8151eb1b3e7f5667f1698e/merged# fgrep -R 'type="0801" id="1001"'
usr/local/etc/openzwave/manufacturer_specific.xml:    <!--<Product type="0801" id="1001" name="FGMS001 Motion Sensor" config="fibaro/fgms.xml" />-->

I’m not too familiar with docker unfortunately, if I can’t get this running without using docker, I might give it a go however.

Again big thanks!

So, if anyone were to stumble on the same problem;

@freshcoast was absolutely correct. After installing a “new” 1.4 of OpenZwave, everything works as expected. While you’re at it, make sure you install the latest version of zwave2mqtt (do a git clone rather than wget according to the docs).

@freshcoast thanks again for saving me a headache!

Might also mention that leaving the Vera hub in favour of zwave2mqtt is a big win. The Vera has the worst UI imaginable.

U fortunately I never got this zwave 2 mqtt working .it finds all my devices as I copied the zwcfgxxxxx.xml but then it won’t discover my devices correctly. I tried hassio add-on with older zwave li rary as the docker container itself . I also use persistent storage bit anyway once all devices are discovered once only 3 and once I get failure of controller . Is there someone who could make a write-up how to setup this component with a fully configured zwave USB stick I used before with “native” zwave implementation in hass ?