ZwaveJS2Mqtt and Zigbee2Mqtt in parallel?

Hey community,

I’m currently running my home assistant on my Synology NAS in a docker container. Since DSM 7 stopped the support of USB devices, I migrated the zwavejs2mqtt installation to a docker container on a separate raspberry pi. Thats working excellent at the moment.
But since I have issues with my Hue lights (they are often not reachable, I think because of missing cloud connection) and I want to use devices from Aqara in the future (they are way cheaper than Zwave devices), I ordered a Conbee 2 stick.

Now I want to install zigbee2mqtt on my raspberry pi docker using portainer. But both adapters are USB sticks (Conbee 2 and Aeotec Z-Stick Gen 5+) and use the same device path: /dev/ttyACM0

Is it possible to run both docker containers in parallel with the 2 sticks? Or are they blocking the USB interface there because they are using the same device path?

Do you have experiences in that topic?

Thanks very much in advance!

Best regards

You can use the 2 containers in parallel. However, it is impossible both sticks use the same path, Linux does not allow that. If the first uses /dev/ttyACM0, certainly when you plug the second in, it will get /dev/ttyACM1.
And it is better to use a /dev/serial/by-id path then an /dev/ttyACM0 path

1 Like

Thanks for your response.

I’ve done a little bit of research now (I’m a linux/docker newbie).
I entered this into my ssh:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -l /dev/serial/by-id
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Apr 19 15:27 usb-0658_0200-if00 -> ../../ttyACM0

So i think my correct path would be: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00

And I guess I’ll have to enter it like this (in Portainer):

Is this correct? And do I have to change something in the zwaveJS2mqtt settings, too?

Best regards

1 Like

Be wary if aqara Aqara DJT11LM control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT

There are plenty of non aqara zigbee devices, and still quite cheap.

Which brand would you recommend?

I’m looking for temperature/humidity sensors. Aqara is by far the best rated device on the market. SONOFF could be an alternative, but the ratings are very bad. Seems to have bad sensor quality and not very stable connection.
I already have a temperature sensor from Devolo in use (Z-Wave), but this device is also very inaccurate and also very expensive.

Where have you been reading that?

Since I am from Germany, I mainly researched German blogs. The conclusion there is usually very positive. And also the Amazon reviews are better than the other Zigbee sensors (which are available in Germany).

Which device would you recommend? I am open to suggestions :slight_smile:

I had luck with some tuya vibration sensors recently. TS0210. But I have posted the site to look them up, the other is https://zigbee.blakadder.com/