ZY-M100 tuya mmwave sensor - new version... anyone got this working with ZHA?

Tuya seem to be releasing alot of different versions of whats labelled as their ZY-M100 mmwave sensor

These seem to be a mix of 5.8ghz and 24ghz radars.

I’ve just grabbed a 24ghz one from aliexpress which is this variant:- _TZE204_ijxvkhd0

I’ve scoured gihub, but the only place I can see this being discussed is here:-

Has anyone cracked getting this version working yet with ZHA ?

I have the same device, and so far I haven’t been able to get it working in ZHA yet. :frowning:

I was going to buy one from Aliexpress. Is this one right?

It said WIFI in description so I guess I can make it work but now, reading this Im not so sure.
I have a sonoff Dongle for the zigbee, there is a chance I can make it work using Z2MQTT?

@Nicolo_Bartolomei - There are zigbee and WIFI versions. (Click the different images to get the different versions of it.) The zigbee (I think) works with Z2MQTT already, its just ZHA thats not working currently.

If you go for the WIFI version, you’ll need the tuya hub

Ok then, Ill buy the zigbee version so I can use the sonoff dongle I have.
I saw that you had a 5GH and a 24GH, can you tell me if you notice some big differences?

Even in its slightly basic state using ZHA, the 24ghz version seems far more sensitive. I can sit very VERY still and it still knows I’m in the room.

The flip side is that 24ghz can sometimes generate false positives (I had this with my EP1 before I tweaked the settings), but so far… no false positives with the settings (which I currently cant easily change) out of the box.

@MasterDevwi - The device does work with the standard ZY-m100 quirk, you just need to add your model info into it.

Find this line of code at line 252:-

("_TZE204_sxm7l9xa", "TS0601"),

And add this line immediately below it:-

("_TZE204_ijxvkhd0", "TS0601"),

So that whole section now looks like this:-

MODELS_INFO: [
            ("_TZE204_sxm7l9xa", "TS0601"),
            ("_TZE204_ijxvkhd0", "TS0601"),
        ],

The settings exposed by the quirk don’t really work. Don’t adjust anything except max range, the rest don’t work properly, and adjusting the fading time will just result in the device sticking on detected all the time, and you’ll need to use the cluster commands to reset it back to 0.

1 Like

Ok cool.
So it just detects presence even if more than one or it could also tell you where the movement is happening? Does it have some kind of learning feature like the Aqara FP2? Where does it scan the environment in order to create some kind of 3d map of the object?

Technically it can tell if movement is happening because it has a presence ‘state’, which I think is either none, moving, or stationary. This currently doesn’t work in the ZHA version.
It doesn’t know where in the room you are, so you can’t create zones as such, but it does have target distance, so you should be able to tell how far from the sensor the target is, but I’m not sure if this works in ZHA or Z2Mqtt

1 Like

Hey, the 24GHz arrived and I discovered about quirks… can you link me the quirk you are using, because I tried a few but they didnt work.

Thank you, my model is exactly the one you quote:

_TZE204_ijxvkhd0

Stupid question: Where is the quirks file location that I can edit? I want to do this for my mmwave sensor too.

It depends, search for zha: on your configuration.yaml
the path should be on ‘custom_quirks_path:’

shameless plug incomming

I have a full video on this, check it out: https://youtu.be/wwqDZ90Ugb0 :grin:

1 Like

@fixt Thank you! I have it working now!

Interesting, my lux values seem normal without opening the sensor hole. I have _TZE204_sxm7l9xa and it works well. Maybe it’s just my version is tuned differently.

1 Like

Is that really you :slight_smile: I follow some of your videos about esphome and the ZY-M100, but without results cause the quirks for the _TZE204_ijxvkhd0 doesnt work. Im still looking for a working one

Jeje thank you for watching :grin::raised_hands:. Have you tried the one that I added to the article on my web 5 days ago? I don’t have that variant, so I can’t confirm that it works, but one user on the channel already confirm that the quirk for that model worked for him. If you haven’t, give it a try.

Im gonna try right now

It just show the lux but the other parameter I guess they are wrong.
Also, it stays in the DETECTED state… I let it stay the whole night on my kitchen table and lets see…

1 Like

Thanks, the basics in your custom quirk for _TZE204_ijxvkhd0 work (see controls and sensors exposed in Nicolo’s screenshot), but at least one thing is broken and one thing is missing.

Broken: There is exposure of target distance (0xEF6D) in HA even though you attempt it. Also, the engineering_units should be 118 (cm) not 31 (meter) if you don’t convert the value.

Missing: While the occupancy sensor is exposed, there is no extra level of detail providing the “motion” state available via the 0xEF69 enum.

Unfortunately I don’t know enough yet about how zigpy and custom quirks work to try to fix this myself.

After some trial an error I have a well-functioning custom quirk.

2 Likes

Nice addition to the quirk, getting the motion and distance working.
I’ve retired mine in favour of some everything presence ones. Yes more expensive, but the tuya mmwave sensors were spamming my network every second and it only takes a few of these and your zigbee radio is totally congested.