"Zzh!" (short for "Zig-a-zig-ah!") open-source hardware licensed Zigbee USB-stick based on TI CC2652R

FYI; ZHA uses the “ZHA Device Handlers” library by default for ZHA exception and deviation handling:

So what you might need to do to get devices with problems working is create a new custom device handler, also known as a “quirk”, or update the existing quirks, or submit an new issue on that GitHub repository with more detailed information and logs if you need help with the creation or updating ZHA custom device handlers:

Once a new quirk is added or updates there are instructions in their readme file now on how to test new releases of zha-device-handlers that are not yet available in Home Assistant so you do not have to wait for a new release of Home Assistant as well:

1 Like

Here is another alternative using the powerful CC2652R :blush:

1 Like

What is the difference with the zzh? They seem to be using different firmware. Have tested with ZHA?

1 Like

What do you mean?

It’s the “same” firmware. Just compiled for another Chip. If you “just” want to use the stick as an zigbee-coordinator there is no difference at all…

otherwise, if you want to develop something with it (sensor or any other zigbee device):

• onboard chip-antenna possible
  • other USB-chip, better/wider driver support
  • onchip timer and external rtc-crystal possible
  • possibility to break-out the CC2652R part, to build a standalone (maybe battery powered) device
  • automatic bootloader mode for easy flashing
  • reset-button on board
    :slight_smile:
1 Like

What do you mean? Different to what? ZHA support multiple adapter models from different manufacturers. Different manufacturers use different firmware, and some adapter models when it is the same manufacturer use newer firmware when it has a newer chip. All adapters/chips listed on the ZHA integration component page work with ZHA in Home Assistant.

Oh Ok. Sorry for the confusion. I thought it was different when I saw it in the Z2M page. But all clear now!!! :innocent:

I have now submitted a pull request to clarify that all TI CC1352x and CC2652x are supported by ZHA

The PR only updates ZHA documenation withoyut any code changes. CC1352P, CC1352R, CC2652P, CC2652R, CC2652RB use the same TI Zigbee coordinator firmware/API version and are all already supported by the current branch with existing ZHA and zigpy/zigpy-cc libraries. No code changes needed.

Hi @slaesh, I’ve placed an order on the 9/8/20 but have not yet had any updates on the status. I’ve also sent a message to you via Tindie a few days ago. Please respond, cheers.

1 Like

FYI, a few days ago I noticed he had posted on Tindie that he he had to go away on an unplanned trip:

"DELAY On an unplanned emergency business trip! May take up to a week… Production is still running! All delayed orders will get some goodies! For new Orders use this code: 4163C0A1"

1 Like

Thanks, yes i saw that message too. It has been over a week but will have to wait a little longer I guess.

1 Like

hey there! didn’t saw this community post here anyhow :thinking:

currently, I am a step in front of the wave now… :wink: just some days more and all incoming orders will be processed directly again, as it should be! :partying_face:

sorry for the inconvenience! :pensive:
love to see your projects running as soon as possible :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I have just received a new zzh stick because the old batch was not good. Perfect service from Omer.
But i have still not the range what i expected from this stick. My conbee2 stick has a much better range then this one. Also without routers.

I found that the new stick didn’t really change the signal strength (it was about 160 with the sensor about 2 meters from the stick, it’s about 170 now). However, when I move it to the other side of the house I’ve got a LinkQuality of about 60 to 70 - about 10 to 12 meters away, through 4 plasterboard walls.

Hi @slaesh, Do you have any update on the orders? I placed my order on the 5th Aug, I am still waiting patiently. Thanks for any update.

I got an email yesterday about this:

The backlog has been made up. And all open orders are going out this week!

@slaesh See that you are “out of stock” now. How long is the wait time until you get in new stock?

Ok I’m having a hard time flashing the ZZH. Can anyone help? I think I am following the directions to a t.

Nobody can help unless you say exactly what you have done and what result you achieved, including relevant logs if available.

Ok, so once I get to the cc2538-bsl.py -p COM6 -evw CC26X2R1_20200805.hex

my command prompt window shows:

C:\Users\mfidl\Desktop\cc2538-bsl-master>
[main 2020-09-16T00:57:24.599Z] update#setState idle
(node:1436) Electron: Loading non-context-aware native module in renderer: '\\?\C:\Users\mfidl\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\node_modules.asar.unpacked\vscode-sqlite3\build\Release\sqlite.node'. This is deprecated, see https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397.
(node:1436) Electron: Loading non-context-aware native module in renderer: '\\?\C:\Users\mfidl\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\node_modules.asar.unpacked\spdlog\build\Release\spdlog.node'. This is deprecated, see https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397.
(node:3780) Electron: Loading non-context-aware native module in renderer: '\\?\C:\Users\mfidl\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\resources\app\node_modules.asar.unpacked\spdlog\build\Release\spdlog.node'. This is deprecated, see https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/18397.
(node:3780) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
[main 2020-09-16T00:57:54.604Z] update#setState checking for updates
[main 2020-09-16T00:57:55.065Z] update#setState idle

EDIT: I should also note that a VSCode window opens cc2538-bsl.py