0.103: Happy Holidays, Service calls, StarLine, GeoNet NZ and Proxmox

So upgrade to 0.103.1 and you have more time for other things over the holidays. :rofl:

Same here, running 103.1 in a venv on Ubuntu Server 16.04LTS. hass will not load and UI is not available. Rolling back to 103.0. Was excited to get my z-wave thermostat working! :frowning:

I’m having the same problem

Upgraded from 103.0 to 103.1 and no front end came back up. I ssh’d into the console, and downgraded via ha update --version=0.103.0 and all is well again.

0.103.1 has been pulled now due to these issues…

1 Like
2 Likes

Hi

I don’t understand what I should do with the Yamaha media player breaking changes.

My media player definition for Yamaha is

- platform: yamaha
    host: MY_IP
    source_ignore:
      - "AV1"
      - "AV2"
      - "AV3"
      - "AV4"
      - "HDMI5"
      - "HDMI6"
      - "AUDIO1"
      - "AUDIO2"
    source_names:
      HDMI1: "Set Top Box"
      HDMI2: "Chromecast"
      HDMI3: "PS4"
      HDMI4: "Fire TV"
    zone_ignore:
      - "Zone_2"
    zone_names:
      Main_Zone: "Salotto"

Should I change anything here? As far as I understood, I shouldn’t do anything here.

After upgrading, if I look in the States filtering for Yamaha I still see

In my .yaml files I still reference it with

entity: media_player.yamaha_receiver_salotto

What should I do?

Thanks

Just the service calls changed for yamaha, do you have any automations working with the receiver?

I asked in the HACS thread too, but I think it’s an issue with HA:
I just upgraded Home Assistant from 0.103.1 to 0.103.2 and hacs integration is gone… “Component error: hacs - Integration ‘hacs’ not found.” and obviously all components depending on hacs. What can I do? Is there a way to downgrade to 0.103.1? Did that happened only to me?

No, it works here

Perhaps so.

I don’t have a fix but my HACS is still there and working on 103.2.

Am i wrong or there’s no release notes for 103.2? I cannot understand what changed, so that after reboot on updating I cannot start hacs anymore.

1 Like

You are correct that there are no change logs posted for 103.2. Some times they lag behind. I assume since there was a big issue with 103.1 that 103.2 is just 103.1 but with the bug removed. I am surprised you were able to use 103.1 at all as most people I saw reporting were saying that 103.1 wouldn’t load.

Thanks for that. Going to have to compile Python from scratch because I don’t want to use Ubuntu, despite Python 3.6 being supported until ~end 2021.

If you read just a sentence or two further:

You could run it in Docker and never have to worry about Python versions again.

Running Ubuntu won’t make any difference, as Ubuntu Server 18.04 runs Python 3.6.9.

Toss it in Docker (or K3s) and stop worrying about what version of Python Home Assistant needs, the container will take care of it.

BUT DOCKER IS SCARY!

:wink:

1 Like

Oh, of course! Now, compiling Python by hand and installing it definitely isn’t… I mean, it’s not like Python is used as a core component in modern Linux distros or anything…

The docker image for 0.103.1 is still available.
I just did a docker pull for that version since that was the latest version mentioned in the release notes. But since it didn’t start the UI, and no errors in the log, I came here and noticed immediately that 0.103.2 was available…and it seems to be working fine.

I am well aware that I could use Docker, but don’t want to. There are many things I could do. Has the logic for deprecating 3.6, which has another 24+ months support left it, been shared? I’ve not seen anything, other than “3.8 is out now”, which is hardly sufficient justification (IMO). There’s a good reason some distros keep things consistent for long term support. Why insist on something which isn’t commonly available yet?

Took some time to find it.

Yes, as discussed in architectural issue #167, Home Assistant has decided to only support two Python versions. There’s no reason to support old versions since Docker completely eliminates the concern over Python versions for the overwhelming vast majority of users that use Home Assistant via Docker (or other container platform like HassIO/HassOS K8s).

Regardless of what you want to do, your choices are fiddle with compiling Python from source and risking breaking your OS, install something ill suited for server usage like Fedora or a non-LTS Ubuntu, or use Docker or K8s.

There’s a reason why basically no distro bumps Python versions after an OS release, only updating versions alongside OS version releases. Upgrading Python versions tends to have a habit of breaking so many system tools that depend on the old version that the old rational way to fix it is just reloading the OS.

With the recent-ish addition of the devcontainer for doing Home Assistant development I’m honestly surprised they haven’t just deprecated support for all non-container install methods. They at least dumped Hassbian which is a good start.

As a developer, I appreciate them pulling in the latest Python support, and appreciate them not wasting manpower trying to support old versions when Docker makes it dead simple to not need to.

1 Like