0.110 OpenZWave Beta - Climate and Cover Issue

I was super eager to give the new OpenZWave Beta integration a spin and I’ve run into a bit of a snag. All of my devices are showing up properly, but for two of my device classes (Cover and Climate) I’m missing any of the control entities. All of the sensor entities on these devices show up and report good data though, so I know they’re communicating. It sort of reminds me of the old built-in zwave integration when you used to be required to add the following to your config:

climate:
  platform: zwave
cover:
  platform: zwave

Does anyone know if there’s a way to make HomeAssistant recognize that these devices are controllable using the new integration? (totally fair to say “stuff it this is a beta” :slight_smile: )

Gonna reply to myself here. The friendly folks over in discord let me know that a few platforms are still not yet supported in the new OZWave Beta. They’re hoping to get covers and climate support very soon.

I think I will stick with this beta for now even without my covers and thermos to keep giving feedback where I can. This is so much the right way to do ZWave for HASS.

1 Like

In the mean time you can get your covers working using an mqtt cover as all the new messages are on MQTT… here is some inspiration:

1 Like

Anybody has an update on when covers will be available in the new integration?

Nope, but if it’s a garage door opener, I’ve posted a work around until they are.

Looks like a fix for this just got merged yesterday!! https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/37217

Expect to see it land with 0.113 in just a few weeks!

Keep in mind that PR doesn’t support GDO (garage door openers), but it does support rollershutters and such.

Really? That’s a bummer! The ZWave Cover platform has always been both in the past :frowning:

The comment here ( https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/37217#issuecomment-651327920 ) even referenced that it was supporting both. I’m tempted to try and fire up dev and see :smiley:

EDIT: No, reading more carefully firstof9 is correct, windows only :sob:

I’ll have a PR in shortly that provides GDO support.

1 Like

Having trouble with the tests, but I’ve tested my branch with my real device, if you want to give it a go here’s the repo you can copy the components/ozw into your custom_componets directory to override the default ones in HA.

This will bring you cover support via the ozw beta.

1 Like

:partying_face: Not all heroes wear capes!

Thanks, @firstof9 ! I cloned your branch and installed it as a custom_component and it’s working beautifully.

1 Like

And the PR is in

1 Like