0.110: Speed! OpenZWave beta, HomeKit Cameras, ONVIF, Calendars

Unbelievable…, just get icon color working again with 0.110.0 and is now broken AGAIN in 0.110.1

With every update, it’s like , wow, big improvements for us…
Don’t get me wrong, I really like updates , but please implement backwards compatibility…

So many custom cards broken…
Always yaml needs to be changed…

It’s not like update and go…
It’s like update, spend a few hours to fix things…
And hope that custom developers to the same thing…

3 Likes

Great release, no problems!!! THANK YOU DEV TEAM!

2 Likes

Perhaps then advertise the beta builds with an announcement and get a bit more participation. I knew about the ‘dev’ but unaware of the beta. Folk might not be keen on a nightly build (alpha) but be willing to try a test a pre-release (beta). Just a thought… Sorry misread - it is the advertising of it and how to take part then that needs a little more perhaps.

HA version is 0.110, not 1.x . The only way to do a strong piece of software is to not hesitate to improve the fundation of it.
When you are using custom-cards, you have to accept that sometimes, they will break because of an improvements of the Core.
It can for sure be frustrating but you can

• wait for third-party dev and their updates ( just a couple of days most of the time)
  • or better, you can test, give feedbacks about problems
  • and even better if you can, submit PR for some bug fixes

If the way Core is developed is not like that, HA will be stuck under tons of backward compatibility, and trust me, after one year, your software will be dead because of it.

This philosophy is the angular stone of a great open-source software.

And just look at HA right now, how beautiful it is ! For free ! Only driven by passion :slight_smile: Love that !

8 Likes

I imagine fewer would break if developers of custom cards were given more advance notice of upcoming breaking changes. I was recently informed that there is no formal announcement. Developers are simply expected to monitor the appropriate Discord channel and GitHub repo to learn about upcoming changes. It’s easy to see how someone can get blindsided by a change (that’s already being put into place) and not have enough time to adapt to it before the new version is released.

FWIW, this is not the first time developers have had to scramble to update their contributions. Previously, custom components were broken due a significant design change. They also had to scramble to fix their custom components after the breaking change had already gone live.

3 Likes

i share your opinion, i really like HA, im also a paying nabu casa user
BUT
lately, i’m afraid to update… i always read the release notes before i do an update
i always read the breaking changes over and over again…
then its like 23.00, you think you are good to go to update, because of none of the breaking changes i am using anyway…one more thing, lets run the addon ‘check HA configuration’
wow, no errors found… i’m good to go, lets update…wiiee

a few moments later…

OMG!!! what a mess! so many things are broken AGAIN!
grrr…
2 options…

• lets wait for 110.9 … and rollback to 109.6
  • lets identify, do LOTS of reading,… spend a few hours

ok… lets identity and help the community
i have like 5 things that are really broken, lets start reading the community…
FEW, other people are facing same issues, what a relieve , i am not the only one
ok, 1 issue down 4 to go
ok, some customs are broken , i identified, after lots o research, ok lets POKE other people
ok, few hours later
1 issue to go… grr ,cant find it, grr, the error log doesnt help in anyway
ok, lets create an issue on github, cause i am totally lost, i am tired…
.my wife is saying, like, Fabio, did you another Home Assistant update? i am like wtf?? how do you know?

ok, a few moments later; got a mail, thank god , someone replied on my issue thread created on github… lets hope for the final fix…

then the reply, its like,
hey Fabio, please disable ALL custom integratios, disable all CUSTOMS
does it happen again? No? ok, we can’t help you then

please thats not the way to go

now, lets imagine you are still on release 80.x or 90.x …
i think none of your component is still working
this release 110.0 was not about breaking changes, it was all about, breaking the community
because of what? an icon change?
thank god, the custom developers did manage to fix it quite quick!!

3 Likes

After installing .110.1 from 0.109.6 I can’t find any Philips Hue tap devices - Hue switches (that have batteries) and lights etc. are there but not tap devices. Is anyone else experiencing the same?

Hey still have the problem with the giant HACS Logo in the background under every panel :confused: Even after reinstall. Someone who got it fixed ? (Custom Header isn’t working as well)

Anyone got good examples of how they’re using the Squeezebox API? Not sure where to begin :frowning:

I am in NZ and grew up with calendars (on the wall!) with sunday-saturday. I know it is more logical to have monday-sunday, however I am unable to cope with this.

It should be a user option.

1 Like

What are wanting to do with the api?

Is anyone else having issues with Font awesome icons not loading? I’ve unloaded, rebooted, reloaded, rebooted… cleared cache, tried different browsers all to no avail. Same issue on my mobile devices as well.

There’s a note about them in the release notes, you have to change the the JS version.

Thanks. I’ll take a closer look :slight_smile:

Edit: Nope… no help. I can only find reference in the comments to custom icon sets. https://developers.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/05/09/custom-iconsets/

I’m not doing anything fancy. Was simply using fas:charging-station as an icon override.

i am seeing below in my logs, what the hell is it?

2020-05-21 22:51:00 WARNING (Thread-7) [daemon] could not find handler for: _handle_resolve
2020-05-21 23:01:10 WARNING (Thread-7) [daemon] could not find handler for: _handle_resolve
2020-05-21 23:11:20 WARNING (Thread-7) [daemon] could not find handler for: _handle_resolve

Some good examples of shortcuts…Eg playing newest album, random playlist of songs of new albums etc

I have the same issue with Icons and fonts in Picture Elements
i use:

style:
      '--iron-icon-height': 60px
      '--iron-icon-width': 60px
      font-size: 40px

but nothing works :roll_eyes:

I’ve removed base_url from my configuration.yaml while leaving the SSL:

I’ve added the following at the bottom of my configuration.yaml:

I’m able to access my HomeAssistant instance from https://WebSiteName.com:38123 internally and externally.
I’m still unable to access my HomeAssistant instance from http://192.168.1.200:8123

Ideas?

Use ‘–mdc-icon-size’ instead

1 Like