0.39.0 upgrade experience

Same here. Set one of my groups to a view and now the dropdown only lets me select that view. The other groups are not selectable.

Mine appears to be hanging after upgrading:

Feb 26 21:43:15 homeassistant systemd[1]: Started Home Assistant for homeassistant.
Feb 26 21:43:20 homeassistant hass[1556]: 17-02-26 21:43:20 INFO (Thread-3 [homeassistant.config] Upgrading config directory from 0.38.3 to 0.39.1
Feb 26 21:43:20 homeassistant hass[1556]: Config directory: /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant

Wait 30 minutes and nothing happens

Got the same timeout here with samsung tv

17-02-27 11:55:49 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Updating samsungtv media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10

And this is what i get when i try to update a group

17-02-27 11:58:33 ERROR (MainThread) [aiohttp.server] Error handling request
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/aiohttp/web_server.py", line 62, in handle_request
resp = yield from self._handler(request)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/aiohttp/web.py", line 270, in _handle
resp = yield from handler(request)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/http/ban.py", line 57, in ban_middleware_handler
return (yield from handler(request))
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/asyncio/coroutines.py", line 209, in coro
res = yield from res
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/http/__init__.py", line 417, in handle
result = yield from result
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/config/__init__.py", line 110, in post
yield from hass.loop.run_in_executor(None, _write, path, current)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 361, in __iter__
yield self  # This tells Task to wait for completion.
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 296, in _wakeup
future.result()
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 274, in result
raise self._exception
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/config/__init__.py", line 134, in _write
data = dump(data)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/util/yaml.py", line 74, in dump
return yaml.safe_dump(_dict, default_flow_style=False) \
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 216, in safe_dump
return dump_all([data], stream, Dumper=SafeDumper, **kwds)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/yaml/__init__.py", line 188, in dump_all
dumper.represent(data)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/yaml/representer.py", line 26, in represent
node = self.represent_data(data)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/yaml/representer.py", line 47, in represent_data
node = self.yaml_representers[data_types[0]](self, data)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/util/yaml.py", line 308, in <lambda>
represent_odict(dumper, u'tag:yaml.org,2002:map', value))
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/util/yaml.py", line 290, in represent_odict
node_value = dump.represent_data(item_value)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/yaml/representer.py", line 47, in represent_data
node = self.yaml_representers[data_types[0]](self, data)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/util/yaml.py", line 308, in <lambda>
represent_odict(dumper, u'tag:yaml.org,2002:map', value))
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/util/yaml.py", line 290, in represent_odict
node_value = dump.represent_data(item_value)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/yaml/representer.py", line 57, in represent_data
node = self.yaml_representers[None](self, data)
  File "/usr/local/Cellar/python3/3.5.2_3/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/yaml/representer.py", line 229, in represent_undefined
raise RepresenterError("cannot represent an object: %s" % data)
yaml.representer.RepresenterError: cannot represent an object: ['sensor.battery_smoke', 'sensor.battery_voordeur', 'sensor.battery_keukendeur', 'sensor.battery_achterdeur']

I did give it a try with 0.39.1 too but still the same. Should be something in my configuration but I can’t find what. I did even comment all my configuration but HA didn’t start. Anyone that knows the command that starts HASS showing the log?

How did you install HASS? How are you running it?

If you use systemd, it’s:
journalctl -f -u home-assistant@[your user]
If you run your HASS in a docker:
docker logs -f [your container name]
or try to search for a home-assistant.log file.

Thanks. AIO so I guess will go with the first one.

i’m having huge slow downs of motion sensing… I checked and home assistant is hammering the cpu on my RPi3 at 100% and this was with 0.39.0 and 0.39.1, down grade time I think :frowning:

Do you see any unwanted activity in log? I didn’t see any change in CPU usage.

Maybe try to put your log in debug and see what hass is doing.

I presume you have z-wave motion sensors. I’m experiencing high CPU usage and associated slow downs with zwave enabled. When I disable z-wave with CPU is back to normal. I rolled back to 0.38.4

1 Like

yeah i do have multiple z-wave devices. I rolled back and has been stable since.

Hi All

I have had the time to now play more extensively with Groups and Views.
The behaviour of 0.39 is of course exactly as you would expect once the concepts are more completely understood.

Ben’s video from BRUH Automation explains it nicely.

The Group configuration instructions on the HA website also says
If you create a group default_view it will REPLACE the contents of the HOME tab so you can customize the HOME tab as you wish.

As ever thanks again to the HA community for all the help.
RAWB

After reading all those reported issues, I was a bit hesitant to go for the upgrade. But finally curiosity won and just went for the upgrade without much thought. and voila! this upgrade is as smooth as most of the other upgrades… No issues at all. However, I didn’t use the config: section as I already had a decent sized group configuration. So no point of doing that from scratch. However, on weekend I am planning to test that part. But so far so good.

EDIT : It was finally permissions problem, found the 2 folders that was causing the problem, changed the permissions and updated HA without any problem, everything works now

Still unable to upgrade, any help would be appreciated.

When I’m runnning journalctl -f -u home-assistant@[your user] I get the following:

-- Logs begin at Thu 2017-03-02 08:37:38 CET. --
Mar 02 08:37:48 hostname systemd[1]: Starting Home Assistant...
Mar 02 08:37:48 hostname systemd[1]: Started Home Assistant.
Mar 02 08:37:55 hostname hass[683]: 17-03-02 08:37:55 INFO (Thread-4) [homeassistant.config] Upgrading config directory from 0.38.3 to 0.39.2
Mar 02 08:37:55 hostname hass[683]: Config directory: /home/hass/.homeassistant

And then nothing more happens…

When I’m running hass manually from the virt env I get the following:

(hass_venv) hass@hostname:/home/pi$ hass
Config directory: /home/hass/.homeassistant
17-03-02 09:06:40 INFO (Thread-3) [homeassistant.config] Upgrading config directory from 0.38.3 to 0.39.2
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/hass", line 11, in 
sys.exit(main())
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 381, in main
exit_code = setup_and_run_hass(config_dir, args)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 293, in setup_and_run_hass
log_rotate_days=args.log_rotate_days)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 480, in from_config_file
hass.loop.run_until_complete(future)
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/asyncio/base_events.py", line 276, in run_until_complete
return future.result()
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/asyncio/futures.py", line 277, in result
raise self._exception
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 471, in asyncinit_from_config_file
config_path, hass, verbose, skip_pip, log_rotate_days)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 513, in async_from_config_file
config_dict, hass, enable_log=False, skip_pip=skip_pip)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 391, in async_from_config_dict
None, conf_util.process_ha_config_upgrade, hass)
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/asyncio/futures.py", line 388, in iter
yield self # This tells Task to wait for completion.
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/asyncio/tasks.py", line 286, in _wakeup
value = future.result()
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/asyncio/futures.py", line 277, in result
raise self._exception
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 54, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/config.py", line 263, in process_ha_config_upgrade
shutil.rmtree(lib_path)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 463, in rmtree
rmtreesafe_fd(fd, path, onerror)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 401, in rmtreesafe_fd
rmtreesafe_fd(dirfd, fullname, onerror)
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 421, in rmtreesafe_fd
onerror(os.unlink, fullname, sys.exc_info())
File "/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/shutil.py", line 419, in rmtreesafe_fd
os.unlink(name, dir_fd=topfd)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'metadata.json'
Exception ignored in: 
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/threading.py", line 1294, in _shutdown
t.join()
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/threading.py", line 1060, in join
self.waitfor_tstate_lock()
File "/usr/lib/python3.4/threading.py", line 1076, in waitfor_tstate_lock
elif lock.acquire(block, timeout):

I have the same problem mine turn one and off but for some reason will not start on automation (sunset). The light turns on at sunset but only 50% and cannot be controlled anymore until restart.
The only error in log is “Error during query: (sqlite3.DatabaseError) database disk image is malformed”
Please let me know if you manage to fix yours. Thanks

I’m not sure about @RAWB’s problem but you may want to move your db to someplace sfe and let HA recreate it.

You may lose history but it should at least start up.

Hi Guys, and Ladies,

I just braved the upgrade and hoped for the best. All went well with few minor glitches.

Log complains about could not install dependency netdisco==0.9.1
So I had to manually install it (./python3 -m pip install netdisco==0.9.1)

then i noticed another problem that says could not install psutils==5.1.3 (I need it for my system monitoring)
but when i tried installing it, i got the following error.

copying psutil/tests/test_system.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-3.5/psutil/tests
copying psutil/tests/test_memory_leaks.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-3.5/psutil/tests
copying psutil/tests/test_bsd.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-3.5/psutil/tests
running build_ext
building 'psutil._psutil_linux' extension
creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.5
creating build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.5/psutil
/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ccache-gcc -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -Wunreachable-code -DNDEBUG -g -fwr                  apv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DSYNO_FIX_FLAG_BUG -DOPENSSL_NO_SSL3 -DOPENSSL_NO_SSL2 -DSYNOPLAT_F_X86_64 -O2 -include /usr/syno/includ                  e/platformconfig.h -DSYNO_ENVIRONMENT -DBUILD_ARCH=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g -DSDK_VER_MIN_REQUIRED=600 -pipe -fst                  ack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2 -Wno-unused-result -fPIC -DPSUTIL_POSIX=1 -DPSUT                  IL_VERSION=513 -DPSUTIL_LINUX=1 -DPSUTIL_ETHTOOL_MISSING_TYPES=1 -I/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/include/python3.5m -c psutil/_psutil_l                  inux.c -o build/temp.linux-x86_64-3.5/psutil/_psutil_linux.o
unable to execute '/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ccache-gcc': No such file or directory
error: command '/usr/local/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-ccache-gcc' failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------

Command “/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/bin/python3 -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=‘/tmp/pip-build-x_2az17q/psutil/setup.py ‘;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record /tmp/pip-frs1rpzu-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-bu ild-x_2az17q/psutil/

I’m using Synology DS415+
Current DSM version: DSM 6.1-15047
Native install (not using Docker, well I was, but I find the performance a bit slow)

I will highly appreciate your feedback for possible options to resolve the issue.

– EDIT—
I just remembered how I fixed a similar issue last time: CHROOT approach, following this guide.

Cheers
Erick

Thanks that solved the error only now if can fix the lights, that will be grate.
For now, i took the transition off to see if that will turn on my lights at sunset.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Glad I could help!

1 Like

I got brave and decided to install 0.39.2 today. Everything seemed to go fine until I tried to start HA. Sometimes it runs for a few minutes and gives me the normal missing dependencies, other times it just stops. It usually seems to stop on the following lines.

17-03-03 11:17:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event component_loaded[L]: component=logger>
17-03-03 11:17:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Setting up introduction
17-03-03 11:17:21 INFO (Thread-3) [homeassistant.components.introduction] 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, and welcome to Home Assistant!

We'll hope that we can make all your dreams come true.

Here are some resources to get started:

- Configuring Home Assistant:
           https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/configuration/

- Available components:
           https://home-assistant.io/components/

- Troubleshooting your configuration:
           https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/troubleshooting-configuration/

- Getting help:
           https://home-assistant.io/help/

This message is generated by the introduction component. You can
        disable it in configuration.yaml.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

17-03-03 11:17:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event component_loaded[L]: component=introduction>
17-03-03 11:17:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Setting up recorder
17-03-03 11:17:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event component_loaded[L]: component=recorder>
17-03-03 11:17:21 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Setting up mqtt
17-03-03 11:17:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=mqtt, service=publish>
17-03-03 11:17:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event component_loaded[L]: component=mqtt>
17-03-03 11:17:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Setting up input_boolean
17-03-03 11:17:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=input_boolean, service=turn_off>
17-03-03 11:17:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=input_boolean, service=turn_on>
17-03-03 11:17:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event service_registered[L]: domain=input_boolean, service=toggle>

No errors at all in the log file.

I’m back up and running. Here is what I ended up doing.

1. uninstalled HA (pip3 uninstall homeassistant)
  2. uninstalled HA again (pip3 uninstall homeassistant)
    it seems there were remnants from past installs still out there so rather than list all the times ,I uninstalled, let’s just say "uninstalled HA until it didn’t find anything to uninstall)
  3. install HA (pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant)
    Then things started working. I had to do a few individual installs as usual for various components, but I’ve gotten used to that.

I’m getting the same cannot represent an object error on trying to update a group. I’ve raised an issue.