0.82: TensorFlow, Lovelace UI edit, Z-Wave Barrier Class

It’s time for another great release. As this includes the tail-end of HacktoberFest, it’s packed again with stuff. Hope you like stuff.

I want to do a shout out to all the people who help with the documentation. Since the beginning of HacktoberFest, we’ve seen 953 PRs get merged, 953! Especially thanks to @klaasnicolaas who has converted 240 pages to the new configuration format. DAAAAANG.

We also got some cool new features. The first one being that you can now use TensorFlow, a machine learning framework, to detect objects on your cameras thanks to the hard work by @hunterjm. Check out the docs for more info.

Next up is that @rohankapoorcom has been working hard on converting more integrations to the Webhook format. This allows for easy setting up via the UI and generates difficult to guess urls. This release includes Mailgun, Twilio and DialogFlow.

The frontend team has been BUSY. We’re prepping Lovelace for general release and slowly all pieces are coming together. This release introduces an experimental, alpha, ultra-raw, (enough warnings already?) UI editor for Lovelace cards. It requires that your card has an ID but then, it just works. Including a live preview of the config you’re editing.

![](upload://unzmXZWqmwiUaXBxq3FfGBSoat3.png) Screenshot of editing a Lovelace card.

Also frontend related, in version 0.81 we removed all config splitting functions for ui-lovelace.yaml, we are happy to report that we managed to add back support for !secret and !include. The rest of the config splitting commands you are used to in configuration.yaml will not be available for Lovelace. Mind that you can not edit content in !include from the UI, and !secret cannot be used in the UI or preview at the moment.

And we have one more thing… we have soft-forked Open Z-Wave and have added support for the barrier command class! This means that now you will be able to control your garage doors from Z-Wave without compiling Open Z-Wave yourself. We’ll continue to monitor what other features we can add to our fork while remaining close to the OZW project.

New Platforms

If you need help…

…don’t hesitate to use our very active forums or join us for a little chat. The release notes have comments enabled but it’s preferred if you use the former communication channels. Thanks.

Reporting Issues

Experiencing issues introduced by this release? Please report them in our issue tracker. Make sure to fill in all fields of the issue template.

Breaking Changes

Beta Fixes

All changes

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2018/11/09/release-82/
5 Likes

Thank you. Really great to see so many updates to documentation.

Based on the last release I think I’ll being wait a while before updating :rofl:.

Great work though. Looking forward to Homekit camera integration in a future release cc @cdce8p .

2 Likes

After upgrade log file is spamming by:

2018-11-10 12:57:22 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.cover.mqtt] Payload is not True or False: 0

Getting errors with the sense component update: Unable to prepare setup for platform sensor.sense: Could not set up all dependencies.

Did the configuration change? Docs still show as I have it.

Great work, a front end editor worth using :+1:

1 Like

Why had the configuration splitting in ui-lovelace.yaml had to be removed?

Same here. There is mention of a breaking change for a binary sensor but no docs to support it.

Unfortunately the commit message in the breaking change section wasn’t so clear about this. The sense.sensor platform was replaced by the single sense component. It seems the documentation isn’t updated yet, but you can simply do:

sense:
  email: <your email>
  password: <your password>

This will add all the sensors you previously had + the binary sensors for all the devices

OK, also have to add a ‘timeout’ value or else you get this error:

Error during setup of component sense
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py”, line 148, in _async_setup_component
component.setup, hass, processed_config) # type: ignore
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/sense.py”, line 42, in setup
timeout = config[DOMAIN][CONF_TIMEOUT]
KeyError: ‘timeout’

Thanks for forking z-wave support. Support for barrier devices was a problem for me. Now I may be able to finally get rid of my Vera device.

Has anyone tried adding a Linear garage door opener yet? I will have to dig mine out today to play with it.

How do you add a timeout value?

yep - works great. Any issues this thread has most the solutions

Ah there is an additional parameter:

sense:
  timeout: 5

It’s suppose to be optional - I’ll submit a PR for that, but you can add that line to get it to work

Can’t update (at the end says it updated, but didn’t)

Home Assistant API token 18-11-10 17:59:40 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.addons] Load add-ons: 81 all - 0 new - 0 remove 18-11-10 18:34:40 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Updated Home Assistant API token 18-11-10 18:42:01 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Update Home Assistant to version 0.82.0 18-11-10 18:42:01 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [hassio.docker.interface] Update Docker 0.81.6 with homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.82.0 18-11-10 18:42:01 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant tag 0.82.0. 18-11-10 18:42:02 ERROR (SyncWorker_6) [hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.82.0 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found (“manifest for homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.82.0 not found”). 18-11-10 18:42:02 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Home Assistant is already running!

HI, being a novice I still have issues with Lovelace after 0.80.3. 0.82.0 is the same, is there any known config items that I should remove/update to get things working again? Apologies for my lack of experience.

Start a separate thread with specifics of your issue. Post your relevant config and the errors you are getting.

1 Like

And we have one more thing… we have soft-forked Open Z-Wave and have added support for the barrier command class! This means that now you will be able to control your garage doors from Z-Wave without compiling Open Z-Wave yourself. We’ll continue to monitor what other features we can add to our fork while remaining close to the OZW project.

PRAISE JEEBUS

Maybe a stupid question, but what is actually this forking of z-wave means in practice?