0.88: Persons, Command line auth and event subscriptions

So I installed this component and it totally hosed the machine. When I started it, about 5 minutes later HA stopped responding. So I SSH into it, and that took like a solid minute just to get in, after that, running hassio help causes an out of memory error. I had to restart the computer. Not sure why that happened.

CustomUI seems to be broken since the update. Things like this

cover.garage_door:
friendly_name: Porte du garage
device_class: garage_door
alternative_friendly_names:
- Porte de garage
templates:
icon_color: >
if (state === ‘closed’) {
return ‘#34a853’;
} else {
return ‘#ea4335’;
}

does not work anymore. I mean the icon does not change its color. It’s always its default blue color.

Someone else noticed that ?

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple of other threads in which custom_components are beginning to give warnings that they need the directories to be restructured or they will soon fail.

It’s fairly easy enough to make the switch (unless you have a ton of them, I guess…) but when/where was this change announced?

the good news is you can switch to the new file structure now to beat the rush and your stuff will still work. the bad news is it also breaks the custom resource tracker card once you switch to the new folder structure unless the dev catches that change and updates their code. :roll_eyes:

EDIT: I just re-read the post and saw this:

That’s a pretty nonchalant statement for something that could end up breaking a significant portion of peoples set ups in the near future.

2 Likes

Thanks

Agreed, won’t be using this here.

Hi all,
I’m receiving the following error when updating HASSOS to 0.88.
Any ideas?
19-02-21 00:18:22 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant tag 0.88.0. 19-02-21 00:18:25 ERROR (SyncWorker_6) [hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/raspberrypi3-64-homeassistant:0.88.0 -> 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (“readlink /mnt/data/docker/overlay2/l: invalid argument”). 19-02-21 00:18:25 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Home Assistant is already running!

Not normally one to complain but ZHA seems completely broken now with 0.88. I had to revert back to 0.87.1 to have it working again.

Entities in the ZHA dashboard have lost all their names, which makes it darn near impossible to know what device you’re looking at there without guessing and drilling down.#21242

Half of the device stops working but not all of it. I.e. the ZHA and Temp Sensor still works but the Binary Sensor doesn’t? #21243

Parts of the ZHA device that were shown as entities are no longer present. 21245

1 Like

CoolMasterNet sounds like a very cool component, but it does not look like I can buy one as a home automation enthusiast since I can only get a quote. It’s more for integrators and installers. Oh, well. But hey! It’s nice having Ethernet! No need for Wi-Fi, which is nice! :smiley:

I would try rebooting your pi.

It will add all default options like discovery etc, person, there is a list.

If they follow the link provided it tells them what to do. HA cant be responsible for all the custom components otherwise it would never move forward.
The warning now, will give the dev o that component time to change or the end user time to inform the dev of that custom component the time to change it

1 Like

Or just do the simple change yourself… it’s only moving/renaming a file

Only if they ignore basic instructions… so you’re right… lots of people’s configs will break…

2 Likes

Not that people are exactly expected to read these things, but there’s a system architecture discussion section of the Home-Assistant Github page. That’s where the discussions about these things take place, with this particular change being discussed as early as mid-december:

As a side note, it’s a nice repo to read through to get an idea of where this who project is headed, such as knowing about areas and persons long before any PRs were made to add code for those features lol.

1 Like

@frenck 0.88 seems to be breaking the adb addon, the addon itself runs fine and i’m not getting any errors, but i’m getting an error that media_player.androidtv is not a valid platform, do i need to update androidtv.py file?

The Great Migration blog post indicates:

… if you want to override a built-in component/platform with a custom version, you will need to copy over all component and platform files , not just the one you want to load.

Currently, I use modified versions of MQTT HVAC (climate) and MQTT Alarm Panel (alarm). That’s just two files copied into:
/custom_components/climate
/custom_components/alarm_control_panel

If all I now need to do is move those two files into:
/custom_components/mqtt
then that’s easy-peasy!

On the other hand, the blog post seems to suggest I will need to copy not just those two files but everything related to MQTT into /custom_components/mqtt.

if you want to override a built-in component/platform with a custom version, you will need to copy over all component and platform files , not just the one you want to load.

Is not implemented yet in 0.88. Issue is linked at the bottom of the blog post, which leads to the PR here: Prevent partial custom component overlays by balloob · Pull Request #21070 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

2 Likes

It’s different if a custom component is replacing a core component…

Yep, that’s what I’m doing now, namely overriding (altering) the stock MQTT climate and alarm_control_panel with custom versions.

Based on Paulus’ reply, it would appear I won’t need to copy over the whole kit and kaboodle for 0.88 … but it’s definitely on the roadmap.

1 Like

There appears to be some sort of disconnect between the desire that HA will move toward making things dirt simple for the non-technical person to be able to set up and run a HA install. Those people that the HA “official” developers are specifically courting with all of the GUI based configuration and editing expect to be able to set their installs up with all of the “flashy new” stuff that community based developers are setting up.

Then in some small corner of a major release blog post there is literally just 19 words devoted to letting the developers and/or the non-tech users know that if they don’t make a change to their set up then after a future update their set up will stop working. How many people actually look at their logs to notice a warning when everything is actually working. Most newer people don’t even know that a home-assistant.log file even exists let alone where to find it.

Does anyone really expect the people that HA is trying to bring in will actually visit a link specifically aimed at developers?

Then when someone points out the fact that it’s a pretty major change to just gloss over like it was then suddenly there are people insinuating that it’s those non-technical people’s responsibility to be able to somehow know what broke and how to fix it. Or for the “dev” who only ever makes a single component or two to realize that their component will suddenly stop working and that they should have just known with the sparse information given that they needed to update their code and the install instructions.

No HA can’t be responsible for all the custom components but the life blood of HA is the custom components and custom cards that are created by community members so you would think that HA would at least make it a bit easier to do their thing.

Or you’re going to start hearing a bunch more frustrations from people who get things set up the way they want then things just randomly start breaking and then you blame them for not understanding “simple instructions”.

I’m not saying that HA shouldn’t move forward but there needs to be a better system in place to let people know about stuff as big as this.

It’s either for non-tech savvy people or it’s not.

7 Likes

Really was searching for something like “person” component!
Thank you.
And about themes. Can not find that in docs. Can we now round cards and change background-image from themes?