2.0 beta testing feedback

What do your Home Assistant logs say, not your iOS logs?

Absolutely nothing, no logs about this event

So I have removed the old app and gone over to this app (as it was hard to keep track of which entity belonged to which). The app is great, I only noticed one thing which I hope will be fixed. Notifications seem to be coming in very slow, sometimes it takes 2 seconds to show up but sometimes over 10 seconds whereas the old app basically showed it instantly.

E.g. When the front door opens, I get notified of it. Usually when I open the door it will fire immediately and show up on my iphone. However with this app it takes a long time to come through. Obviously I do not know if it is the app or if it are Apple servers or whatsoever. I just thought to give out some feedback.

Are you using attachments in these notifications?

None, but I am reading up the docs you set up, but I don’t have the mobile_app: line in my configuration. Could that be the problem?

Nope. Do these notifications do anything more than just show text? Does it use the camera or map content extensions?

Not the ones I have tried, they only contain actionable notifications (which seem to work fine) just slow. The ones with attachments take over 15 seconds (just tried one).

Can you monitor your HA logs and just make sure the notification send log happens very shortly after sending one, whether via the dev tool or an automation? Wondering if the server that receives the notification is just slow.

I get this error when I trigger the notification, the notification does arrive though and all actions etc. are working as they should.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 384, in _make_request
    six.raise_from(e, None)
  File "<string>", line 2, in raise_from
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 380, in _make_request
    httplib_response = conn.getresponse()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/http/client.py", line 1331, in getresponse
    response.begin()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/http/client.py", line 297, in begin
    version, status, reason = self._read_status()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/http/client.py", line 258, in _read_status
    line = str(self.fp.readline(_MAXLINE + 1), "iso-8859-1")
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/socket.py", line 586, in readinto
    return self._sock.recv_into(b)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 298, in recv_into
    raise timeout('The read operation timed out')
socket.timeout: The read operation timed out

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 449, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 638, in urlopen
    _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2])
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 367, in increment
    raise six.reraise(type(error), error, _stacktrace)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/packages/six.py", line 686, in reraise
    raise value
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 600, in urlopen
    chunked=chunked)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 386, in _make_request
    self._raise_timeout(err=e, url=url, timeout_value=read_timeout)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 306, in _raise_timeout
    raise ReadTimeoutError(self, url, "Read timed out. (read timeout=%s)" % timeout_value)
urllib3.exceptions.ReadTimeoutError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='ios-push.home-assistant.io', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py", line 1147, in _safe_execute
    await self._execute_service(handler, service_call)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py", line 1160, in _execute_service
    await handler.func(service_call)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/notify/__init__.py", line 117, in async_notify_message
    await notify_service.async_send_message(**kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 56, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/ios/notify.py", line 88, in send_message
    req = requests.post(PUSH_URL, json=data, timeout=10)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 116, in post
    return request('post', url, data=data, json=json, **kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 60, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 533, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 646, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 529, in send
    raise ReadTimeout(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.ReadTimeout: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='ios-push.home-assistant.io', port=443): Read timed out. (read timeout=10)

Something is up with your internet or connection then. Might want to try doing a ping ios-push.home-assistant.io or traceroute ios-push.home-assistant.io. That’s why your notifications are slow.

It is working fine now, don’t know why but probably something wrong with the connection indeed. Don’t know what happened but now they trigger immediately. I did restart home assistant a few times though. Will monitor it through the rest of the day to see if it was only temporary. :stuck_out_tongue:

No problem – just checking as to not mix beta and non-beta issues. Any issues moving forward will be in GitHub :+1:

1 Like

Turns out, AWS is having issues with the exact services that would cause that timeout. More info.

Hi Robbie - when you say template, could it just be the notify device I’m trying to call is somehow not found? Because the template used to work just fine and the only thing I’ve changed is the destination notify device. Can you confirm how I should target the iOS beta app? Is the prefix still ios? Then the device name as it appears in the ios conf file? Thanks

Unlikely since the error directly states that it was a template error.

I figured out why the icon doesn’t change on the apple watch (notifications I mean). If you have the watch app installed it will override the icon I have set in the phone app. Notifications look better though with the watch app installed. Just the icon isn’t matching. Removed the watch app for now.

Sadly, this is a watchOS limitation. The icon will always be the default one (although environment specific, meaning that the release icon, beta icon and dev icons all look different to denote their release train).

Next beta drops after 0.91 does on Wednesday. Highlights are further mobile_app integration, a new push notification system (just backend changes, but there will be a new notify platform) and Watch complications are now working.

Nice! Been super stable for me the last week! One thing that I found today, in 1.5.1 I’m able to do a long press on a card (lovelace) and get it to register but I can’t seem to get it to work in the 2.0 (picture entity card). Anyone else who can confirm that it’s just not me before I submit an issue?

@robbiet480 thanks for all your amazing work! Is there a way to force a location update (and as such battery state) when you plug or unplug your charger? I have been toying with automations based on this as I only charge when going to bed for instance. Currently, it will only report the battery_state sporadically, so automations sometimes delay over an hour after going to bed.