2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards!

Where will I be able to find help, if my upgrade fail? I don’t get a proper error message or I don’t know where to look. The only message I see is:

21-12-17 10:36:36 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Home Assistant has crashed!
21-12-17 10:36:36 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] HomeAssistant update failed -> rollback!

Is there a way to get more info? I’m running home assistant OS 6.6. Please help.

In packages, positions matter. Please stop making guesses. I’m giving you the exact reasons why it doesn’t work outside automations.yaml.

You can if you have allocated an id: to the automation. All of my automations are in packages and I can still use the debug feature.

2 Likes

Or use Studio Code which generates them for you :wink: (yes, I know you have a thing against it)

1 Like
  1. Not clear which icon do you mean - you got FOUR icons in each row.
  2. Even before 2021.12 tapping ANY icon (main & any secondary) caused displaying more-info popup for the corresponding entity - if this entity was specified & if there was no other tap_action handler specified.
  1. You provided 2 pics & none of them allows to see the whole code - entity_ids are clipped - are these entities are same or different? But probably this does not matter because of pt.2 (see below).
  2. Probably you are facing this issue - tapping any secondary element causes starting an action for the main entity:
    Actions trigger the more-info window · Issue #217 · benct/lovelace-multiple-entity-row · GitHub

Oh, another person answered already…

Btw, not everything may be tuned up in automations by input_helper.
There is no support for variables in trigger section:

trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: !input some_entity_id
    for:
      minutes: you cannot use a variable here

Ref this thread.
So far I have to hardcode delays in these “for” sections instead of using some input_number.

This is a good news for me.
Since I cannot provide myself a unique id, shall I use this approach:

1. Create an automation in yaml-file in some package w/o id.
  2. Create an empty or useless automation via UI.
  3. Go to automation.yaml file, find this automation and copy its id.
  4. Go to UI and delete the automation.
  5. Go to the 1st automation in yaml-file and add this id.
  6. Reload automations.
  7. Now the 1st automation will be available for debugging (I do not editing).

Is it correct?

Easier solution:
https://www.uuidgenerator.net/

1 Like

Thank you for a hint.
Does it matter which type of id to use - “version 1” or “version 2”?
Also, will “212ffa0c-e750-4ed4-acda-520656662852” be a good id for automation - since by default HA uses ids of a different format?

It simply needs to be unique so either will work. The format of the example you gave is the same as what I get from Studio Core Server.

It is as simple as this: call the first one 1, the second one 2, and so on. They do not have to be uuids, just unique among your system.

1 Like

You can template the for section, that thread is outdated

Yep, I just take my alias and add underscores to them. Bam, unique_ids.

3 Likes

great idea :slight_smile:

Same issue here but with Sengled devices.

yep. 12.2 broke mine too

Is it just my setup but the gauges got broken in Safari? This is for the latest 2012.12.2 update. This appears to be tied to Monterey 12.1 update.

So, id may contain letters instead of digits?

Its after update from iOS 15.1 to 15.2
Before update:

after update:

it’s happening for me on Monterey 12.1 not just iOS … maybe that did it as well