2021.12: New configuration menu, the button entity, and gorgeous area cards!

Just noticed with the 2021.12 release that the TP-Link Kasa Smart integration creates two switch entities for every plug that has a lamp. For the plug I use to turn my Christmas tree on and off, the first entity is named switch.christmas_tree and the second entity is switch.christmas_tree_led. This did not happen with 2021.11 or earlier.

On the device page for this plug, switch.christmas_tree is listed under Controls and switch.christmas_tree_led is listed under Configuration. Both entities turn the light on or off.

As far as I can tell, the integration is adding the switch.X_led entity based on icon selected in the Kasa app as I have two plugs that used for battery chargers and there are no switch.X_led entries for those plugs. So it’s only a lamp or light that has the switch.X_led entity added.

I can’t find anything about this in the documentation or in the release notes as to the change or purpose. I don’t appreciate the integration assuming that the lamp plugged into the plug is an led - because at least two of the lamps aren’t leds.

My two TP-Link smart plugs don’t control lamps, and don’t have any lamp-like icon associated with them.

But I checked, and yes, I have the _led entities there now, too. Likewise, some previous release changed the name of the “consumption” entities, but I figured that out and changed everything over to the new one.

I agree that these kinds of changes need to be better communicated.

1 Like

Hello @CaptTom and @VincentClement1
This change to Tp-Link/Kasa is there a few releases now (.9 or .10 I think) and was documented. It’s not a change in .12 so is not mentioned here. Maybe worth a read of the older release notes/blogs before jumping into posting, particularly if you’re not just upgrading one version number.

The “_led” entity for the plugs does pretty much what it suggests…it controls the LED light on the plug and can turn this on/off :+1:t2:

2 Likes

oh sorry, got mixed up with a different comment.

Thanks but doesn’t seems to bring the solution.
Just tested with an VM and my backup before updating from 2021.12.1 to 2021.12.2. Everything’s fine before doing the update. After “ha core check” came up with the error.
Unfortunately I can’t downgrade easily.

Thanks for the tip!

Just the fact that the last updates, within a few days immediately two, three, four more updates are delivered, but clearly shows that there is a problem with the quality and reliability.

Apart from that, the documentation is simply bad. Especially when it comes to the impact of new features or changes on the previous configuration or hardware.

Contact. The. Author.

Is python 3.8.6 supported by HA core 2021.12?

You can always help by joining the effort in making things better like everyone else.

3 Likes

Yes I’m having the same issue. Latest upgrade didn’t help, still doing it

Is it me or there seems to be inconsistency with the Entities UI card in this new release?

Previously: Any toggle in entities card are treated the same across mobile and desktop: a toggle.
Now: Tapping Automation and Remote entities toggle opens up the more-info card on mobile, it’s the old toggle behaviour on desktop.

2 Likes

There is no text in Configuration section, in Hebrew translation.

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Helping with trigger variables & inputs

I’ve noticed this also.

1 Like

Same for me - media stop stopped working.

I have several xiaomi devices and almost all of them are unavailable after update to 2021.12.x

I’m not sure if this has already been reported or not, updates are not showing up in the supervisor panel anymore even days after the release, the only way to update is to use the terminal
ha core update ...

1 Like

Updates were consolidated to the configuration page. That’s where they will show up. At the top of the page.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Helping with trigger variables & inputs

Thanks
Not really consistent, which confuses users.
See in this case I have an update for glances showing up in the configuration.

And if I go to supervisor panel, I see it there too.

But the same is no longer true for Home Assistant Core Update.

Note that, at this point I can’t even check if core update showed up in configuration page, because I’m already updated to the latest, but I suppose it did.