2021.3: My Oh My

You really should read this https://www.home-assistant.io/code_of_conduct/

3 Likes

Personally I’m fine with using haveibeenpwned’s API for passwords, but just in case someone decides to go code up a enable/disable PR, it might also be good to have an option to use the downloadable ones:

As long as they have ~10GB to spare.

I personally think that this should be available as integration and not enabled by default In HA core. Or even better, to be part of the NabuCasa subscription.

Upgraded to 2021.3 with no software issues. Thanks for the great work folks. This morning I upgraded again to 2021.3.1. Can someone tell me what 2021.3.1 did? I can’t find anything.

The original post gets updated with the release notes for each patch:

I will also chime in that I am not a fan of anyone dictating what I do on my personal LAN. I completely understand the intent here but, as has often been the case, decisions are made that obviously haven’t been completely thought out. We wonder why many see the HA community as snobby and aloof, and I will continue to defend the super talented and super helpful devs here…but it has always been these types of decisions that poke holes in my defense. These types of nagging measures should ALWAYS have an opt-out feature. We could even make it difficult for the user to disable with multiple steps and multiple nagging screens along the way.

Having to type up these types of replies in a diplomatic way is exhausting and frustrating…primarily because I feel it shouldn’t be necessary in the first place. For the love of whatever God you pray to, please double/triple/quadruple check these types of decisions. They are becoming a real irritant (again unnecessary) and leads to frustration with leadership.

For those who will say “this is best practice” please know that I understand your point of view and yet still I do not care. I can respect a point of view and decide to do something different. My local passwords are my own and I accept the risk involved. If someone is on my LAN, the password to my MQTT instance is the LEAST of my concerns. I do not want my LAN security dictated to me. What’s next…someone decides that lock automations are too risky so they remove all lock control commands or send a phone notification EVERY time I lock or unlock my door? I guess we’re on the road to becoming Smartthings or Apple where we are told how to hold our devices. Silly decision here…just silly…and completely unnecessary.

Rant over…please proceed on your quarterly scheduled “Let’s frustrate our faithful community members” cycle.

17 Likes

You can’t trust the new updater- this is the second time I have fail messages but nothing was wrong

Trying to upgrade to 2021.3.1 and getting this message from the new updater: Unknown error, see supervisor logs

Yet logs look like everything is fine and after a few minutes the system restarted and was upgraded…

3 Likes

tanks!

sorry… gotta type 10 characters

1 Like

I saw this two the last two upgrades. Nothing in logs

Was switched on mine too. Not sure when that happened

1 Like
Do someone have a problem with the WLED Service calls?
I can't select any entity_id, area or device. In the new UI the lists are empty:

in the yaml editor it is usable :)

I don’t understand the problem? I have always had that setting turned on - what problem should I be seeing?

Did you make a github issue for this? I want to follow it, this has been bugging me too.

I am always super diligent about running the config check before every update to ensure I am not surprised by something. The last couple of releases its been erroring out with python dependency issues that are false alarms. The upgrade actually has no issues but for some reason the config check seems to have an incorrect environment.

I’ve gotten used to ignoring the python dependency errors but would really prefer it didn’t do that and only alerted me to actual issues.

Has anyone noticed that in the last couple releases if you edit a script or automation from the UI that some of them immediately display the SAVE button even though you have not changed anything?
Click SAVE, close, re-open and it’s there again…

1 Like

Sorry I don’t have a git hub account so not sure how to do that. Config_check used to be spot on but I have seen what you are talking about more recently.

It’s not a problem, it’s expected behaviour.

Load up Home Assistant in a tabbed browser. Send the tab to the background by loading another tab (any page other than Home Assistant). The backgrounded Home Assistant page disconnects after 5 min. To prevent this happening you can toggle the switch on your profile page off.

This may have been fixed and I always had that option on, or the option may have been inadvertently switched on, because I usually keep a Home Assistant tab available in my browser and since this update noticed it was often disconnected. Now that I have the option off it is not disconnecting.

I have always had the option ON… maybe that is why it refreshes when I switch back to that tab? Not a big problem for me anyway.

Try it from the other end of a geostationary satellite link with a 1.2s round trip latency :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I found one about it, it’s here for reference.

Got it too, and everything upgraded fine.