2021.3: My Oh My

The Supervisor is the only part of Home Assistant that auto-updates.

Install a non-supervised version and you have total control over updates.

1 Like

Seriously how much last updates addressed security and how much added new functionality/integrations etc. and broke things.

Thanks for information.
I’m running rpi4 and wanted to use hassos, because i think it’s best optymized OS for HA.
I understand that i can’t run HASSOS without supervisor?

You can run Home Assistant Container or Core.

Both will work on a pi4. Both will require more knowledge (Docker / virtual environments) than running Home Assistant OS.

Thanks, i have many custom docker containers running on foir Raspberry PI platforms and i have required knowledge, but as i said, my opinion is there is no better choice and better optimized system for running HA then HASSOS. Thats why i like to have choice to disable supervisor updates in elegant way from ui and continue using Your OS not Raspberry OS or anything else. There is a real difference in resources use and ‘snappiness’ in comparison with HassOS.

So I updated to 2021.3.2 this morning with no issue, however I noticed that it enabled zwavejstomqtt add on so now i’m running both the zwave-js server and the zwavejstomqtt add on at the same time. I don’t have any issues at that moment that I can see and I can even use the zwavejstomqtt UI. This seems a little weird to be able to run these both at the same time. Is this correct? Can anyone confirm that they are seeing this as well? I’m afraid to disable mqtt and have another zwave network issue.

checking the template editor also leads one to CodeMirror (which was new to me tbh) and opens up a whole new world of options. this is the default css for Codemirror https://codemirror.net/lib/codemirror.css

but the mapping tot the HA variables is yet to become clear to me, especially since I cant understand yet how several of the used variables in HA work at all, or why others dont do as one would expect.

currently these uncommented variable have an effect in the themes:

codemirror-keyword: red  #if else endif
  codemirror-operator: yellow # > < + * |
  codemirror-property: green # is_state( , )

#  codemirror-variable: '#696969'
#  codemirror-qualifier:
  codemirror-def: orange
  codemirror-number: lightblue # {% %} this is unexpected somehow... coloring the jinja brackets
  codemirror-comment: slategray # {#  #}
#  codemirror-meta:
#  codemirror-atom:
  codemirror-string: sandybrown # 'binary_sensor' 'off'
#  codemirror-variable-2: gold
#  codemirror-string-2: gold
#  error-color:

and the commented ones still need exploring. Also, I haven’t found the variable that determines the styling of the result, in ({% else %} How to color this )

please add to this if you find the other variables.

1 Like

It is necessary unfortunately.

You’re right that restart checks your config before doing a restart. But it can do that easily because it’s checking your config against the currently running version of ha.

The config check addon downloads the next version of HA in a separate container and then checks your config against that version. That requires the add-on, HA can’t do that itself since it would mess up your current install to download and install the next version in the same container. And sadly that step is not automatic even if you have the addon

1 Like

Thanks for expnation! Makes a lot of sense, indeed!

Any prove for this? I doubt that this is true.
When I was running HA on a Pi, I never noticed any difference in snapiness when using HassOS or Home Assistant Container and resource use was basically the same.

Until one of the manufacturers of your devices decides to change their API and render your equipment useless without an update. Unless all the devices/services you use are 100% local?

1 Like

The meross add-on isn’t compatible with the version 2021.3 ?

I am sorry if this has been discussed before, but it seems my transitions now fail because they are longer than 300 seconds (5 minutes). I loved the fact my lights were gradually playing up at dusk, over a 30 minutes interval. Did I miss something? Or was it always 5 minutes max?

EDIT: Thanks for another amazing release btw. I love the wider automations interface! :slight_smile:

I have the same issue!!

It’s working for me. I have noticed that it gets disconnected and requires a reload more often though…

(latest 2021.02.xx to 2021.03.02)

That message just left a bad feeling - right before the restart…

Luckily, after coming up again everything seems to work besides few UI glitches.

I need to revert that: all my mobile app (HA Companion) devices’ sensor entities are in state UNKNOWN !

Any idea how to fix this???

Update: Thanks to @DavidFW1960 (2021.3: My Oh My) I managed to get the entity states of the first devices back online. Apps have been updated during the last days already.

1 Like

Did you update the companion app as well?

After upgrading to 2021.3, Mqtt Clients can’t connect. I’ve read thru the above log and didn’t see anyone else having this issue. Any ideas? From the integration I can see that the broker is up & running but have lost the connection to my clients?
Thanks

dud you happen to update to 5.11? check https://github.com/home-assistant/addons/issues/1887#issuecomment-791965802

Thank you for your suggestion. Took me a minute to figure out what 5.1.1 was. I run HA Core and install mosquitto via script. So the answer is no but thanks for the suggestion. It’s been working for 3 years without issue.