2021.8.0: Feel the energy ⚡️

very promising update. I get my energy consumption via mqtt and defined sensors like this:

- platform: mqtt
    name: "grid_feed"
    state_topic: "sma/1/4"
    device_class: "power"
    state_class: "measurement"
    unit_of_measurement: "W"

unfortunately this sensor does not show up in the new energy section even with device_class and state_class defined. What do I need to do to get it seen?

1 Like

They need a last_reset attribute, but if you try to add one following the mqtt sensor documentation, none of the possible solutions work.

One solution that works :

you can configure it through customization in configuration.yaml

homeassistant:
  customize:
    sensor.grid_feed
      last_reset: "2021-07-30T00:00:00+00:00"

On Step 2 of the Energy Wizard I pressed Ctrl+F5 and now the Energy Dashboard is half set up. How do I reset it, or continue the Setup?

edit: found it. Configuration → Energy (in the middle of the long list)

for some reason i still don’t know 2018-8 are not working with my current configuration

after the update my supervisor api lost connection with my network at the point that can’t found any shelly device or even pull data of coronavirus integration

i start a new virtual machine and found all the shelly’s but at soon as i restore my backup, everything broke again

Hello,
I have an EFERGY integration taking every some minutes the energy consumption from a Clamp.
When I try to setup the new Energy by Home Assistant I cannot select the Energy device as source and therefore there is nothing to select.
What i am missing
Thanks.

1 Like

Just because your attempt failed doesn’t prove it’s not the solution.

It works for other people who have used the correct unit of measurement (kilo watt-hours, not watts) and have configured the last_reset option.

Read the five posts in this thread, starting with this one.

To conclude, it is currently possible to employ Template Sensors with the Energy integration, provided they are configured appropriately.

EDIT

If you have a sensor that report in Watts and you want to convert it to a sensor reporting in kiloWatt-Hours, you can use this technique.

sensor:
  - platform: integration
    source: sensor.current_power
    name: energy_spent
    unit_prefix: k
    round: 2
4 Likes

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your work!

The new statistics layout is really great! One minor request, would it be possible to display min/max or volatility without options to choose? So e.g. display temperature sensors x and y with mean and volatility, but only choose between x and y don’t display min/max options to choose.

Hi All,

After cache clean, delete everything… This is how it still show om my browser…:

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-05 om 14.14.04

Two issues are appearing after upgrading from 2021.7.3 to 2021.8.1:

@ julienlarivee
I’m getting the same error when I attempt a restart and had to roll back to the previous version

Hey, i also use the 'DSMR Slimme Meter’ but i don’t get any data in the new energy grid. How did you configure it exactly?

Hi Nico, mine looks the same. But I think it works per hour, so you need to wait untill the hour passes.

I’ve installed CO2 Signal for the first time. It gives the following error: Error adding entities for domain sensor with platform co2signal → Error adding entities for domain sensor with platform co2signal · Issue #54062 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

I do not see Influx DB sensors as a source for the energy panel. Could it be that these sensors are currently not enabled to support the new statistical feature?

THANKS!!! It works. I’ve added last_reset, state_class and changed W → kWh and it works! :slight_smile:

Tough Love comment.
Backward compatibility good. Breaking changes bad. We all know that. Some breaking changes may be unavoidable. Some are not.

For EXAMPLE – TP-Link Kasa Smart:
"The power and energy attributes from switch entities have been REMOVED and REPLACED by sensors. This applies to all five extra attributes about energy (current_power_w, total_energy_kwh, today_energy_kwh, voltage, current_a ).

Okay I get it. Adding the sensors is fine. I created these sensors way back when from attributes. But why was it deemed necessary to delete the attributes? Deleting the attributes forces users to make changes to their code. Leaving the attributes in place is a backward compatibility strategy at the expense of duplication. This one is especially painful since the integration will probably loose popularity with Home Assistant users moving forward due to TP-Link’s removal of the local API (unless the firmware update port is blocked at the router).

This is just an example. I can make these changes in less then an hour. But these types of unnecessary “breaking changings” are totally avoidable and only serve to propagate Home Assistant’s reputation for being “high maintenance” thus impeding it’s popularity moving forward.

There are lots of other examples but I’ve made my point.

Bottom line:
Backward compatibility needs to be a HIGH priority - or better yet, a “MUST” in the update strategy.

7 Likes

Pretty nice, but AVM FRITZ!Box Tools doesn’t work anymore. sensor.router disappeared, all tracked device become unknown (wich is a pain if you have automate most devices relaying on that), only up/downrates stay as they was. FRITZ!Box 7530 and no hints in log about that. Help pls.

Just updated to the recent version and now my TP-Link KP400 is in an unavailable state and no matter how many times i “reload” the integration or restart HA it never shows up. On previous version it still works.

1 Like

Love the update, thanks for all the work.

I don’t have solar but I do track device usage and total usage of electricity. Got a couple of qs:

1. Is there a way, perhaps in the future, to allow the energy stat graph to include gas use as well as electricity? Perhaps with a seperate sidebar graphic of the ‘gas grid’? It’d be good to see together, e.g. to see where heating 1 room with an electric fire might be better than the gas central heating, etc. I could make a view of my own for most of this (not sure about the energy cost) - but wondered if it’d help others too. ie there are 22m gas central heating systems in the UK!

2. Can I add the energy dashboard to a view in another dashboard - my wall tablets dont have the sidebar showing by default and I’d love a quick way to navigate to the dash (and back) without side-swiping?

Kindly read one of my previous comments, a github issue has been made. Sounds like you have the same issue.

1 Like