2021.9.0: More energy, USB discovery, template ❤️

You don’t have to set the state_class on the Rieman integration. It works as is.

Getting the same issue myself. Tried all the customise.yaml tricks but it is still not picked up. Let me know if you get it working and I will likewise :grinning:

If your device doesn’t give you an energy sensor ie Wh or kWh and only gives you power W and kW then you need to use the integration sensor so HA can measure the energy usage that you can then feed into the energy panel.

sensor.smart_plug_living_room_power
state_class: measurement
unit_of_measurement: W
friendly_name: Smart Plug Living Room - power
device_class: power

Then feed this into the integration platform

- platform: integration
    source: sensor.smart_plug_living_room_power
    name: energy_living_room_devices_kwh
    unit_prefix: k
    round: 2

And you get this

energy_living_room_devices_kwh
state_class: measurement
last_reset: '1970-01-01T00:00:00+00:00'
source: sensor.living_room_real
unit_of_measurement: kWh
friendly_name: energy_living_room_devices_kwh
icon: mdi:chart-histogram

You can use those in the energy panel

Is it me or are all the Home energy monitoring integrations appear to support EMEA meters and not in the US. Yes, there are mention of the Sense products, but would be good to outline Photo Diode monitoring is supported for the Honeywell meters or similar in the US?

Can somebody tell me where the long term statistics data are stored? In the main database as well or elsewhere? And when does the calculation start for the entities?

Just saw this on Twitter. Would have been handy to have the same info posted here.

12 Likes

If you mean the HA Glow photo diode it should work with any meter which has a flashing LED for usage which I would of thought is most of them.

I usually don’t upgrade to .0 versions unless I have time to revert to previous backups.

I’m thinking about the users that don’t look at the forum before updating and that are not prepared should the system break, as we see happen from time to time in threads like this one. How can we make HA more appealing to users that do not want to invest time in reading the forum before clicking the “update” button? Telling them “just don’t update to .0” after their system is not working is not a good solution to prevent this happening to others in the future.

Integrating “check home assistant configuration” functionality before updates as mentioned above, or making previous and thus better tested versions available through the GUI is.

1 Like

They picked the wrong product. This one demands more attention than that. That fact has been known since Home Assistant’s inception, many years ago.

Give Nabu Casa a giant pile of money so they can hire an army of full-time testers to ensure each release works perfectly, with every possible combination of hardware, and users don’t have to read anything to confidently upgrade.

/s

Short of that, it’s best to read the Release Notes, have a backup, and set aside some time in case something goes sideways.

7 Likes

I agree with both, would be good for the check to be performed either behind the scenes and grey out the upgrade button with a warning or run the check as part of the upgrade.

You could then have a early bird type tick box to allow .0 updates.

2 Likes

My electric meter readings using kWh work fine its the gas that does not work using unit_of_measurement: "m³"

Perhaps a weird question, but how do you reset the whole measured/recorded in the energy tab? I had some weird values coming in the first day (experimenting from my side) and now the first day makes no sense.

Or maybe do as Microsoft did for a while only offer the update to ‘seekers’ - people that actively go look for an update. Only show the update to people that press “check for updates” for the first X days.

That should prevent the ‘norms’ from updating too early before all the bugs are sqashed.

1 Like

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times in this thread.
I could have sworn that this was already incorporated a while back. I remember reading one of the update notes over the past year and there was mention of HA running the Config Check before applying updates.

Raspberri Pi 3B+, same infinite reboot.
Never happened until this release (((

Make sure you have device_class: gas

tried that but still no dice

unit_of_measurement: m3
friendly_name: Gas m3
icon: mdi:fire
state_class: total_increasing
device_class: gas
last_reset: ‘1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000+00:00’

They are working on it :slight_smile:

Change state_class to measurement

I am not using Home Assistant OS, I have HA Docker (on Ubuntu).
Hope that issue covers my case too…