2021.9.0: More energy, USB discovery, template ❤️

Yeah, at 150m away I doubt it’s going to be easy

It’s my first time that after updating the HA version is displayed incorrectly.
https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json still shows 2021.8.8. Will this be corrected or is a new bug report needed?

LoRa perhaps, but we’re getting more complex now.

This is the interesting point however and not blaming anyone for anything by this statement but if this project wants to reach more people and have that version 1.0 feeling to it then we need a better process.

We have people here following documentation or YouTube videos blindly to setup their home automation system in their house. Home Assistant is their choice and what they do with it is up to them - fine. What needs to happen though is maybe more guidance for people on how do I report these issues.

At the moment people copy and paste logs for which most people won’t understand the content. Then we have support on a random blog post on the Home Assistant forum.

The counter argument is “you didn’t pay a dime for this” which correct but what I am really talking about is maybe a better process. Appreciate tech support isn’t a thing but when your average Joe hits ‘update’ and everything stops what do you expect from them?

1 Like

Great release and iteration on the Energy dashboard. Love the history capability…at this point HA means I don’t need Influx/Grafana (or my solar inverters web based reporting for that matter).

Wishlist: Allow us to recreate the energy distribution card but with power entities. Seeing at a glance what is happening in real time helps us run our house more efficiently :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I agree it is hard for a beginner to know where and how to report issues. With support split over the forum, discord, reddit, github it is hard to know where to go. There is Help - Home Assistant and Reporting issues - Home Assistant and of course the severely under read How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question

3 Likes

Actually that is a great collection of links there. I might add them to the awesome list.

EDIT: They are already there :crazy_face:

I just updated from 2021.8.8 to 2021.9.0 and got a heap of zwaveJS node errors on startup.

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='9-50-0-value-513') on device 'Alfresco Sony Plug' (Node(node_id=9)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='9-50-0-value-513') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.meterType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=9) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-328193') on device 'Onkyo Amp Plug' (Node(node_id=13)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-328193') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.scale. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=13) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-513') on device 'Onkyo Amp Plug' (Node(node_id=13)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-513') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.meterType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=13) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-1114625') on device 'Onkyo Amp Plug' (Node(node_id=13)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-1114625') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.meterType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=13) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-590337') on device 'Onkyo Amp Plug' (Node(node_id=13)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='13-50-0-value-590337') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.meterType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=13) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='29-50-0-value-513') on device 'Front House Light Switch' (Node(node_id=29)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='29-50-0-value-513') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.meterType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=29) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='11-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x81)') on device 'Lounge Multisensor' (Node(node_id=11)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='11-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x81)') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.sensorType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=11) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='11-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') on device 'Lounge Multisensor' (Node(node_id=11)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='11-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.sensorType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=11) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library
2021-09-02 07:43:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='8-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x85)') on device 'Ensuite Multisensor 1' (Node(node_id=8)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='8-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x85)') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.sensorType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=8) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='8-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') on device 'Ensuite Multisensor 1' (Node(node_id=8)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='8-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.sensorType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=8) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

2021-09-02 07:43:54 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js] Discovery for value Value(value_id='28-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') on device 'Passage MS6' (Node(node_id=28)) will be skipped: Value Value(value_id='28-49-0-UNKNOWN (0x00)') has unknown data in the following location: metadata.cc_specific.sensorType. A reinterview of node Node(node_id=28) may correct this issue, but if it doesn't, please report this issue as it may be caused by either an upstream issue with the driver or missing support for this data in the library

The nodes appear to be working though

Check home assistant config logs gives me

ERROR:homeassistant.config:Invalid config for [automation]: Integration 'zha' not found (See /tmp/config/configuration.yaml, line 16). 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant/components/device_automation/__init__.py", line 97, in async_get_device_automation_platform
    integration = await async_get_integration_with_requirements(hass, domain)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/homeassistant/requirements.py", line 76, in async_get_integration_with_requirements
    raise IntegrationNotFound(domain)
grep: write error: Broken pipe
homeassistant.loader.IntegrationNotFound: Integration 'zha' not found.

I do have a bunch of automations with domain: zha in the triggers. Is that the issue?

Need more beta testers maybe help?

4 Likes

Come on guys, if you do an update, you always have to make a backup first (or willingly disable it before updating HA). That is a legitimate way to handle updates. You can’t fool proof everything and test every device combination that is out there.

Relying on a software is nothing to be handled lightly. If you do rely on something, you take precautions for idealy anthing that could go wrong.

There is no need, to work on beta testing or finding other ways around. :slight_smile: If you setup your installation and know you need it, backup & restore is one of your foremost things to do.

Regardless of that, you should at least wait, why this is happening for some people. There could simply be something wrong with the upload, with Github with… :slight_smile: Discussing changes to HA and it’s update policies is way to early and, as said above, not necessary. It’s a one time thing that can always happen, if you work with software. :slight_smile:

Btw. great release, looks promising! I’m especially curios about the new tractive integration. :smiley:

12 Likes

fairly certain they did a rollback. I upgraded earlier, then my binary_sensor for monitoring updates sent me a notification - but it was back to 2021.8.8 version. oops. glad I was able to restore my backup.

Has the 2021.9.0 update been pulled? I am not showing anything available in Supervisor on 2 instances, different locations.

edit: seems they have
stable

3 Likes

Supervisor is always a little behind iin my experience. :slight_smile: At least mine is :rofl: :rofl:

Are there any docs on how to enable the new energy dashboard?

Trying to add devices and it just shows “No matching statistics found”.
Clicking the link provided takes me to a docs page that’s got nothing to help.

Certainly looks that way - I had the notification to update, I clicked the button, it made a backup and started doing its thing - then I spent a good chunk of time trying to figure out why my Tesla Powerwall integration hadn’t updated with the new sensors, only to then establish that it didn’t in fact update to 2021.9, and now the update option is gone.

@fleeman @xircom

After some playing around with a pi3b+ here, one thing you can do to stop HA restarting is to rename automations.yaml. When it next restarts it will be in safe mode and the looping will end.

From there you can downgrade to the previous version using ha core update --version=2021.8.x in the ssh add-on terminal

Then you can rename automations.yaml back to normal and wait for the next release without having to be in safe mode.

6 Likes

@cogneato Ah, that’s the downgrade command. Ok, works for me. Downgraded to 2021.8.8 and now back online.
Good tip.

There isn’t enough people beta testing each month. more are needed otherwise issue like this never get seen until released.
So saying no need for beta testing just means your reliant on someone else to have tested and may not use the same hardware etc

2 Likes

You are rigjht, but more beta testers probably wouldn’t have caught this unless someone was running a pi3 on the betas.

1 Like