2021.9.0: More energy, USB discovery, template ❤️

It has.
A massive 0.07kWh !

Got the same problem with my floorplan/picture elements cards.

I also note that my iPad on the wall is running out of battery whilst home assistant app is running. Seems the power going in via the charger isn’t enough to keep it fully charged. If I don’t run HA but leave the iPad on, it charges no problem. It only started happening with this new release - if it is refreshing constantly, this would make sense.

as I am nowhere near interested in kWh values of my battery, solar panels or current home consumption but rather prefer realtime W values, I will just ignore the HA energy component entirely. kWh as additional value mentioned somewhere and to calculate total costs would be fine, but those values have no meaning to me as far as realtime info go. So I’ll just stick to the E3DC inspired lovelace card and be good.

What the hell sort of unit is kW/h. The unit used is kWh

I meant kWh, sorry

I have with different devices using “left” or “right” method gives better results than the default one, it can take a bit of trial and error to work out the best one.

It’s a shame the E3DC doesn’t output energy stats.

W is obviously the instantaneous metric. However kWh is the metric by which your energy company charge you. Each kWh is the equivalent of running a 1 bar electric fire for an hour. Measuring kWh allows you to have an idea of how much energy you’ve used over the course of a day/week/month

Both measures have their place, but the energy dashboard is focussed on measuring historical consumption rather than what’s happening right this minute.

EDIT: - If you are seeing this I believe you can ignore it. It is a bug and will be fixed in 2021.10

Anyone else seeing this error after updating.

It looks like it is the sensor auto created by the energy panel for my peak and offpeak consumption cost but I don’t believe I have edited it manually in the past.

Do I just delete the last_reset attribute ?

Installed 2021.9(.4) this morning and the temperature on my RPi4 seems to have jumped significantly. Anyone else had this issue?

Doesn’t seem to be affecting performance or anything, it was also a slightly hotter than normal day!

Just had a look at my watts from the wall running my hassio, over the last week with the updates I would say it has increased about 8w.

I think a few people have mentioned it has increased load a little.

How long did you leave it to settle down ?

Anyone else not getting the cost displayed for electricity in the dashboard?

Anyone found a way to undo this? https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/55219

My icons are white when lights are off, now when they are on but in cool white temperature they are also white. Impossible to distinguish at a glance if they are on or not. I see no reason to convert color temp to rgb. They are not rgb and were fine following the selected theme colors and just dimming based on brightness level of the light, still using theme color. Now I have random orange/white bulbs that do not match the theme.

Same here since last Friday.

I’m now running HA 2021.9.5 and after re-interviewing the devices that had the error everything seems to be ok.

Anyone else having issues with the Growatt integration since upgrading?
Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

I’ve tried restarting and deleting and adding the integration, but no success :frowning:

Logger: homeassistant.components.sensor
Source: components/growatt_server/sensor.py:870
Integration: Sensor (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 1:18:18 PM (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:21:30 PM

Error while setting up growatt_server platform for sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 249, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/growatt_server/sensor.py", line 885, in async_setup_entry
    devices, plant_id = await hass.async_add_executor_job(get_device_list, api, config)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/growatt_server/sensor.py", line 870, in get_device_list
    devices = api.device_list(plant_id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/growattServer/__init__.py", line 440, in device_list
    return self.plant_info(plant_id)['deviceList']
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/growattServer/__init__.py", line 453, in plant_info
    data = json.loads(response.content.decode('utf-8'))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/json/__init__.py", line 346, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
    raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 7 column 1 (char 19)

I have the same problem, but it still worked fine without the latest update until this morning some time. Not sure what changed. It almost looks like it is not reading the details from the Growatt server.

Same issue here… I was wondering if something went wrong on my side because it was before I made any changes (roughly 4am in the morning).

I just finished modifying my light entities’ icon color based on brightness (but not color) and I hadn’t noticed this PR change. I added a new view with the lights to see what they’re done and I agree the ‘off’ color needs to indicate the light is off and a white icon does not. It needs to be almost black or something.

If they were to change the default ‘on’ icon to lightbulb-on it would be easier to distinguish…

I am using custom-ui with this:

customize_domain:
    switch:
      templates:
        icon_color: >
          if (state == 'on') return 'green';
          return 'red';
        icon: >
          if (state == 'on') return 'mdi:toggle-switch';
          return 'mdi:toggle-switch-off';
    light:
     templates:
        icon_color: >
          if (state == 'off') return 'rgb(25,25,25)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 25) return 'rgb(51,51,0)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 50) return 'rgb(102,102,0)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 75) return 'rgb(153,153,0)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 100) return 'rgb(204,204,0)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 125) return 'rgb(255,255,0)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 150) return 'rgb(255,255,51)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 175) return 'rgb(255,255,102)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 200) return 'rgb(255,255,153)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 225) return 'rgb(255,255,204)';
          if (attributes.brightness < 250) return 'rgb(255,255,230)';
          return 'rgb(255,255,255)';

Changed to this:

customize_domain:

light:
     templates:
        icon: >
          if (state == 'on') return 'mdi:lightbulb';
          return 'mdi:lightbulb-outline';

I think custom-ui is your answer.
I may no longer need the icon_color template. Will try it out…

EDIT
Yup, no longer need my icon_color templates! Still need the icon template though which I think will resolve your complaint and overcomes the shortcomings of the new PR…