2022.10: All over the place

You have to have internet to be able to check if components have an update and also to actually download the update. How do you suggest it works while being offline?

Well, this used to work offline without the internet. I understand that one will require the internet to update the sources, but I do not believe that one needs to maintain the internet connection at all time, in order to have Home assistant running properly. The integration works fine after the updates. It is not persistent after an HA restart, forcing the user to reconnect the internet. If the host lost power, on restart the sources (cards) are not being loaded unless the internet connection is restored.

I did addressed it with the owner of the integration. The feedback was that there was a requirement to have the internet on at all times. So, the question is why is that?

The updates of the sources should be the user’s decision to when and how the update is done. Blocking HA from working properly is not ok, just because the hacs’s owner wants you to maintain an internet connection all times.

I do care about security and privacy, so I may go back to the manual way!

Not sure what you mean here. HACS downloads a card once and installs it. Once it is installed, home assistant loads the card when you access a view containing that card in the UI. It does so from the version HACS downloaded and installed. It does not require the internet at that point.

The rest of your problems smell like DNS issues. If my family let me I will unplug my router from the internet tonight and test.

1 Like

All over the place, these new BT proxies, but no way to check which device is connected to which proxy (well, unless they’re registered as iBeacons):

To answer: All over the place, but where?

3 Likes

Nick,
I can’t post the screenshots because I’m a new here.
Basicaly, I have 112 elements not loaded in Lovelace and the cards listed in the Frontend section are red with the “Not loaded” info at the top of each card.
Even if I turn the internet on at this point the cards are not loading. The only way hacs will load the cards is by restarting HA with the internet on.

Im not sure I agree with the DNS being the problem. The DLNA connection is made via the ip at port 5000. and not using the domain name of the server. In my case the routing is done localy not via an external connection. Logicaly, what would be the relevance of the internet in this case?

As far as the DMS media servers working after the installation and stopping afterwards conflicts with the fact that the DLNA devices (media render) works perfectly at all times and the Synology DSM integration does no go down and works fine. I can ping the servers from HA terminal and mount the nfs/samba shares from the same server in the same location.

This worked flawlessly before the update. All I did was to upgrade the sofware.

This does not make sense at all. HACS does not load the cards. Home assistant loads the resources and the resources at that point are local. I’d wager that you used the hacsfiles alias to point at the card resources instead of using the local alias.

If HACS isn’t loading the hacsfiles alias isn’t created, and therefore home assistant won’t load the cards. So just change your alias to use local alias instead of the hacs alias.

e.g. hacs alias is /hacsfiles/<path...to...js...file>

Instead use the local alias /local/community/<path...to...js...file>

1 Like

Petro,

I have the screenshots here, but I can’t upload them. I’ve opened an issue with the owner of the integration, and he confirms my findings.

Sure, he confirms your findings, but you can be proactive and fix it right now and forever by doing what I said.

1 Like

Yes, I know that the cards are stored locally and the alias is /hacsfiles path. I had the local alias setup before and changed/deleted the references, as I wanted to stay away from upgrading the cards manualy. I’ve experienced conflicts with the card tags not being recognised or duplicates errors.

So how does one take advantage of hacs and keep the elemnts local at the same time? Does hacs recognises the local alias and updates the elements afterwards?

Exactly how I wrote it, the files are already local. All hacs does is ensure that the resource is always up to date when you refresh. Change from hacsfiles to /local/community. Add a ? at the end if you want it to forcefully update the .js files on reload to ensure you’re always running the installed version.

the alias is simply just a string alias. It has no other functions. hacsfiles is an alias for config/www/community and it’s created by hacs. local is an alias for config/www and it’s created by home assistant.

1 Like

I understand your instructions and understand what I need to do to have HA load the cards.

But, isn’t this a manual update? How is hacs recognising the version of the card without the hacstag?

I will give it a try. I have about 100 cards that I will need to change, and I hope it will work!

Thanks for your time and advise!

ha jobs options --ignore-conditions healthy

1 Like

No, it’s not. This affects the loading of the resources. Not downloading & installing. HACS downloads and installs the resources and adds the hasfiles alias. Home assistant reads and displays the files. All changing the alias does is changes where home assistant looks to read the files.

Hacs stores this information in it’s own files.

1 Like

Petro

I went ahead and changed the path for all the cards as you suggested.

The cards are loading in home assistant, but hacs still shows my cards as not loaded and in red. What is worse now is that when it detects an update and by taking action, it will change the alias back to the way is was before. The updated card gets loaded with the internet on. Turning the internet off that card does not load-up anymore.

What I’ve learned here, is that I still need to provide input and take action for every update that I perform.

Hacs requires internet. So they will be red unless the developer of hacs decides to remove that limitation.

As for your updating, change your resources to yaml instead of GUI and you won’t have to update the alias every update.

1 Like

I can change the resources to yaml, but HA is setup as UI. Where do I reference the yaml file globaly? I’ve used the references before this way, when I had HA in yaml mode. Do I need to change all the dashboards to yaml?

You need to change the declarations of all dashboards to yaml, but the dashboards themselves can be UI.

1 Like

Yeah, thats something more than I can chew at this time. What a hassle!

Thans again

it’s not as hard as you’re making it out to be…

in configuration.yaml…

lovelace:
  mode: storage
  resources:
    - url: /local/community/button-card/button-card.js?
      type: module

... list out the rest ...
1 Like