2022.12 Color states are broken/unusable

I went back to the beta forum and it does look like it was brought up (many examples). Simple binary sensors that were changed and now you can not tell if the are off or on at a glance seems wrong to me.

Oh i see what you mean window sensor is open but history does not show the state right! And lines on my graph are the HA restarts. Wow that is not good

I have a light switch that was yellow when on and a light grey /blue when off. I can no longer see the difference

For the fourth time in as many posts, that was a bug introduced in the last update. It has been fixed. It will be available in the next release.

3 Likes

Also for you card mod fanatics that are considering using tiles, hereā€™s how you can have state driven icon colours:

Light switches work just fine for me. I can only see a minor inconsistency that the state color in a entity card is not the same, but that probably was the case also in the past?

They may for you, but I had called out a state color for me and the do not. An by the way, the ha core update --version=2022.11.5 breaks one of my custom components (our groceries).
Sorry for this, my old eyes saw the 11 as 12 and I thought there was a fix to the 12.4.

Out of curiosity:
Do you know the motivation behind adding rgb prefix to state CSS variables (ie --rgb-state-binary-sensor-color)? What does ā€˜rgbā€™ mean in this context? What if someone will set alpha to this color? Is this prohibited just for sake of consistency with the name?

they were, as I mentioned aboveā€¦
things are changed though after the release, and the pthc releases, and have unfortunately not made coloring better on all aspects.
It is expected the number and detail of comments is increasing when a) more people use it b) more errors are introduced compared to fixes.

1 Like

And this is, why the HA Devs should make the colors configurable.
Then, EVERYONE could just set the color for the state he wants - without worrying on themes, hacking variables into some yaml files or whateverā€¦

Just expose color settings to the card / entity configurationā€¦
Or create a Settings page, where you can define the colors for the different device_classesā€¦

10 Likes

Means that the color definition doesnā€™t need the prefix, e.g.

rgb-state-sun-day-color: var(--gelb)

can be

255, 235, 59

or

255, 235, 59, 0.5

Not sure what do you mean by doesn't mean the prefix.
But from your example (and ha-style.ts file) I understood, that rgb designates the need to use comma-separated numbers instead of CSS color methods. Is it correct?

1 Like

better: doesnā€™t allow anymore. Same as it doesnā€™t allow other declaration types like hex, names, etc. anymore nor assigning vars of these types.

1 Like

6 days in this new update and it is still broken? Are there plans to fix the front-end or are we just trying to find ways around it? I had to downgrade to the version that still worked but obviously Iā€™ll need to update at some point. Is there a way to update just the back-end so my front-end doesnā€™t get destroyed?

2 Likes

For some reason they donā€™t have separate dev and release branches for the frontend. They are just committing everything into the dev branch and then once a day they tag a release from this highly volatile unstable branch.

And then core just picks the most recent ā€œreleaseā€ from that long linear list of tags and ships it with the next update. During a major rewrite it is just a lottery game whether you happen to pick a version that actually works or you pick one that is utterly broken and incomplete.

Sooner or later home assistant should adopt some adequate version control and release management workflow, where every change has to go through multiple branches of increasing consistency and undergo testing until it finally reaches release, there is just no other way to stay on top of the chaos that would otherwise ensue. In a project of that complexity and with that many developers one can no longer just dump everything from all devs into the same branch every day, then blindly tag a release once a day and expect that to be consistent.

7 Likes

Again this is drifting off into rant territory. If there are issues then report the problem and suggest a solution. Saying that HA is a mismanaged project is disingenuous at best. Itā€™s just the coloursā€¦ā€¦

5 Likes

Aesthetics are important.

Yes and no.

1. As it was said many times - people are expecting some particular colors; if they see a color which is different they can make a wrong decision - like it was described for switched-off thermostat, switched-off security etc.
  2. If colors cannot be customized (via a theme, via a cardā€™s settings, ā€¦) then this becomes inconvenient.
  3. If restoring a previous UI needs a lot of time (and it does for many people) - then this about a ā€œmy time is lostā€.
  4. If customizing colors is not possible due to a new design - then this is unpleasant.
  5. If customizing colors is not easy due to a lack of docs - then this is unpleasant.
  6. If userā€™s opinions are ignored - this is unpleasant.

Enough?

9 Likes

This is like saying ā€œthe car is not broken, it just doesnā€™t have any wheels at the momentā€

Also I am not ranting, I answered the question how this catastrophe could happen.

1 Like

Edited as requested

1 Like