2022.12: It does matter!

oe thats a nice page, you should link that in the device_class page on binary sensor in stead of the now ancient and no longer correct image!

yes:

the blue is hardly recognizable as update, and the green is not what I would expect for an update. Green indicates OK to me, and not Attention.

Imho, they both could be using the same, and be alerting.

So I tried to set that using the state-update-color but as said that does not stick at all…

in the ha-style we have

--rgb-state-update-color: var(--rgb-green-color);
      --rgb-state-binary-sensor-color: var(--rgb-blue-color);

since I want my regular binaries to be the same as all other ‘on’ entities, Ive set that to gold (state-binary-sensor-color: '#ffd700'). that explains why I dont see the blue binary.

I made a mistake in the opening post for this quest I now see. I display a sensor that is up-to-date. And will edit that to prevent further confusion.

this boils down to the default on color for binary (blue) and me setting that to gold, and expecting ‘alert’ for update=on. both cases though binary and update entities.
Hoop this can be reconsidered to be an alert, and not a mere ‘on’.

Ive now displayed one of them as problem, and immediately catches the eye. compare:

or default theme:

I haven’t been around to notice the restarts. I just can see in the log and the uptime that it has. I updated to 2022.12.1 this morning and will keep an eye on it. So far my log has far fewer warnings that it did.

I’ve just replaced buttons and some entities with those nice tile cards.
And that local calendar is what I expected since I installed HA to manage my heaters.

Thank you all !

Home is where where the Darth is.

1 Like

I mean I usually just pick the current year and recur forward, that’s what I’ve been doing on my Google cal for a while. Or if you want to be precise about it, start with the year they were born in

In case anyone is looking to revert the colour changes in this release to as close as possible to the old “classic” colours, please see here.

4 Likes

Mine started to rise again this morning around 2 hours after a restart for a HACS update.

I checked all my addons and none were using excessive memory so I guess it’s a core memory issue. Let’s see how it is after the .1 update.

1. Regarding the Shiny new state colors!:

Will it conflict with “kibibit Better Graph Colors” (installed using HACS - GitHub - Kibibit/kb-better-graph-colors: Replace the history graph colors with a material design color palette.) so we need to remove it?

1. Regarding Bluetooth proxy using Shelly devices:

Is it in theory possible Philips Hue smart plugs will act like this in future too? Newer generations (for few years already) have Bluetooth too. Just not sure if they use an ESP…

Left out a bi weekly event repeat on the new calendars :man_facepalming:t2:

Umm, no they didn’t?

1 Like

I’ve re-enabled Glance and found out that the process that is increasingly using more memory is Python3.
No sure what code in Phyton is causing this, it could be anything :frowning:

2 Likes

There are ways to debug python memory, search the forum.

I’m seeing the same issue, the second crash happened after the 12.1 update.

Mine is still hovering around 40%. Will see how stable it remains overnight.

I just want to add that I have also had two memory crashes since updating to 2022.12. Not sure why, seemed very random. I’ve now enabled memory monitoring as I noticed in the console each time that I had an out of memory error.

What I miss in Tile Cards is secondary_info. New Tile cards are looking great but without control on secondary_info I will not use it for most cases.

Are there any plans for giving control on secondary information? If yes, would be also cool to support templating code for that field as well for the name.

2 Likes

I think the irony of this statement might be missed.

The colors were all changed and effectively broke many peoples front end designs while telling us that the only two officially supported theme-able items were the primary and alert colors. And the front-end seems be being changed/broken (depending on your point of view) at every release.

I think that people relied on those custom things so that they had more control over the colors used in their systems. I doubt it was because they wanted HA to completely control the colors for them and remove their own input and control decisions.

BTW, where did the docs for the front-end theme go? I thought it used to be in the front end (i.e. “Dashboard”) docs section.

Did that intentionally get removed or just moved somewhere else?

4 Likes

It’s in the frontend integration, where it’s always been since it’s inception…

Yup, thanks. I mis-remembered where it was previously.

Post 2022.12 upgrade looks like my HA crashed today after sucking up all the memory. After crashing supervisor restarted. Strange, memory seemed fine for a period after upgrade and then it started climbing faster that I’ve ever seen before.

No question there is a major bug here. Too bad there isn’t an easy method to figure out what’s sucking up all the memory in the core python container. I guess I’ll run a couple of memory profiles to see if anything sticks out.