2022.3: Select and play media

Btw, a small update. As the musiccast integration has changed the naming convention of media_player entities I was always changing it back to the previous name after re-integrating with HA. This way all my other config (lovelace, automations etc) worked ok. Last time I have not changed the entity_id after re-integrating the impacted device, updated the name in all other places, and since a couple of days the device stays integrated. Maybe coincidence maybe not - hard to say - but for now it works.

After you integrate the media_player, it will tell you when you attempt to use it if it’s supported or not. It depends on your hardware, not the integration.

Did you find a solution for this? I’m still unable to locate apps and only have TV/HDMI.

Thank you for answering. But how do I find out which hardware is supported before buying?

You won’t be able to know. You can look at an integration and attempt to decipher the code, but you’ll need to know the API that the integration uses. Just so you understand, developers won’t even know this information. They can tell you what feature is needed, but every company is going to have some stupid name for it like yamaha’s “MusicCast” (I have no idea if that actually will do this).

Your best bet if you just want it to work is to buy a cast device like google cast, they are $25.

1 Like

Your explanation is highly appreciated! Why couldn’t such one be in the version feature description?

I’m sure it could, but that would mean the person who added the functionality would need to add it to the integration documentation assuming they know what the feature is called.

No, I haven’t updated HA yet.
IMO describing the feature remains responsibility of developer who did changes to the component. Wonder how it could have passed a review. Maybe the change is not about expanding features of the integration but only some system infrastructure changes. But then information in the change-log would be misleading. It also may work for some series of TVs while not for others. Who knows. Lack of information doesn’t help.

1 Like

For me, it would have been enough to indicate that it depends on the manufacturer which player is supported. That would have saved me (and certainly others) a lot of time. But I don’t want to argue about it, the 2022.3 version is already pretty cool. :slight_smile:

It’s referred to as ‘casting’ by most companies.

You also have to explain it to the stupid ones. :grin:

Absolutely right!

That’s indeed the case for some custom like light-entity-card

Hi,

Anyone had an issue with the front end with the HA App on Android and HA core 2022.3.x?

I have noticed that the HA core stock “default” theme when displayed on the HA App does not show the menu button in the header on the RHS.
In my case it works perfectly on a browser on android but not the HA App.

It worked ok before I upgraded from 2022.2.9 to 2022.3.3 and the HA App version hasn’t changed.
Thanks

I was hoping to do this too. Have you found a solution to this?

I have 2 Samsung smart TV’s

My UE65KS9000 shows all the apps under source and in the attributes.
However my UE46F6320 only has the TV/HDMI options

It obviously depends on the capability of the TV.
I had to do nothing to see these Apps.
However I only looked at this because of your post AND after I upgraded to 2022.3.5

"This is a remarkable downgrade in usability… "

Thank you for saying it in a more polite manner than I could muster.

1 Like

Rubbish. TTS isn’t really something you want to do from the GUI anyway. This is a home automation platform. Automate it.

Otherwise you may as well yell at the children that it is dinner time!

1 Like

Why not make it even easier than the previous implementation? Use a input_text for the message, input_select to select your target media_player then use either a script or input_button to execute.

Indeed. it’s rather a test tool.

That can be considered true for the whole media browser, really. HA is not really meant to become a media player, hence the lack of search functionality, by instance.