2022.3: Select and play media

Thanks. I did change to the default theme and itā€™s now legible but I guess I do not fully understand how themes work. How is the backend-theme determined??

By the backend. e.g. an automation triggered by the sun rising or setting could switch the theme using the frontend.set_theme service (the backend part is the automation, the service works on the frontend).

Media players that can play URLs should implement media browser and it can play TTS. Please open an issue if there are media players that did work with TTS but now miss the media browser.

Okay. But with default theme, the accent color does not stickā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t know anything about that. I donā€™t use it. Maybe someone else can help you with it.

Iā€™d be interested in knowing what you use!

I just downloaded the Google theme and selected dark rather than the previous Google Dark theme and itā€™s legible for meā€¦

I have no language and gender option like in reales notes: Imgur: The magic of the Internet , how to get this?

Have tried with different tts setting, but withoout succes.

+1 for a favorite folder like ā€œfranceā€
+1 for a favorites folder like ā€œmy radio 1ā€, ā€œmy radio 2ā€ ā€¦
In radio browser
And two lines for the name of the radio in that case of local radio itā€™s impossible to recognize without an hover !!

2 Likes

There are a couple things not going as expected when you have large descriptions in your automation. see the image.
In short:

1. See in Firefox the line ā€œthe mode controls ā€¦ā€, this line isnā€™t there in Edge
  2. The box grows and goes over the ā€œmodeā€ selector
  3. The text scrolls out of sight- at the top.

When you have a large attribute list, like for Sonos, the list will exceed the screen in certain situations.
The first attribute is ā€˜Source Listā€™. My resolution is high enough to scroll down the attribute box just enough to show all, but thatā€™s most likely not always the case.

This happens in Firefox and Edge (chromium based).

always check the official elements in

and

bookmark and easy to reference.

Having said that, an easy ā€˜we changed this to thatā€™ would have been user-friendly.

(sorry about those huge images, I merely posted the linksā€¦ )
somehow my links keep getting changed using the huge number strings in the url, while I did post the correct links to them. github.com/home-assistant/frontend/blob/add92a559d20daf193c5268d335762979ddd4692/src/resources/styles.ts and github.com/home-assistant/frontend/blob/add92a559d20daf193c5268d335762979ddd4692/src/resources/ha-style.ts

darn, it did it againā€¦ just replace the blob/add92a559d20daf193c5268d335762979ddd4692/src with blob/dev/src ā€¦

2 Likes

this is a magical update and loving the many new features and tweaks. Do feel we are a bit lost in the frontend changes though (themes and some other details) in favor of the new media source.

Really have found but 1 real ā€˜bugā€™ for now, and that was introduced during the beta: Browser-mod media_player is no longer recognized as media_source to play local filesā€¦ issue , radio and tts all stream just fine.

Though I am a bit puzzled by the end goal of this media browser as Paulus made clear its never going to be replacing the dedicated media_players (eg wont see a progress handle).

which is cool ofc, and offers a fine new functionality that will get better over time with all feedback here.

enjoying HA daily :wink:

With the new Play Media action type in a script, when I select any of my Amazon Echo devices as the media player, I get a message ā€œMedia player does not support browsing mediaā€. If I select my Sonos speaker, it gives me the option to select the media.

My existing scripts work to send media or TTS to the Echo devices using the old method of calling the ā€œMedia Player: Play mediaā€ service.

Is there some reason Echo devices donā€™t automatically work with the media browser?

2 Likes

guess we crosspostedā€¦ see above, same (or at least partial) experience. Please add to that link I posted?

Is it possible to dismiss the new tip to join the media below the options in Settings? Iā€™m already here, useful for new users but not the seasoned ones. Thanks!

3 Likes

No.

if only I could attach a Bluetooth speaker to the raspberryā€¦

1 Like

This update killed my Shelly Dimmer. Had to roll back.

What do you mean? Killed is not an error message. You have no logs. WTF?