2022.4: Groups! Groups! Groups!

No good. Thanks

Maybe something related to this: 2022.4: Groups! Groups! Groups! - Home Assistant
Is this GPIO integration on device you are running Home Assistant on?

Thanks, that is better than nothing but it is not giving information about the progress. I have my db on mariadb and I’ve checked what’s going on in there and seems that the upgrade process stalled. Here is what I can see in the processlist:

+----+------+--------------------+-------+---------+-------+---------------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------+
| Id | User | Host               | db    | Command | Time  | State                           | Info

| Progress |
+----+------+--------------------+-------+---------+-------+---------------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------+
|  6 | ha   | 10.144.1.163:32179 | db_ha | Query   | 12660 | Waiting for table metadata lock | CREATE INDEX ix_states_attributes_id ON states (attributes_id)

|    0.000 |

That create index is also the last entry in HA log:

2022-04-07 10:54:51 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Adding index `ix_states_attributes_id` to database. Note: this can take several minutes on large databases and slow computers. Please be patient!

Every other DB process is in the same Waiting for table metadata lock state. Is there anything I could do to see if there is anything progressing? It is in this state for almost 4 hour now and nothing seems to be going on.

Wow, this new release looks great and features many awesome enhancements.

Thank you, devs!

One thing that I was thinking about was the long-term statistics. Home Assistant does not store long-term statistics, does it? you can only access the last 14 days unless you use an external DB such as InfluxDB. Or did I misunderstand something? My history graphs never go back further than 14 days. Same for ApexCharts etc.
Long-Term Statistics

I don’t know why you directed your question to me because it has nothing to do with the comment I had posted.

Post your question in a separate topic containing at least one example of an automation that now fails to work correctly.

Update: I have killed that create index process, created the index manually, restarted HA and seems it is all good now. I can see in the log the following entry and HA seems to work ok:

2022-04-07 14:57:02 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Database is about to upgrade. Schema version: 24
2022-04-07 14:57:02 INFO (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Upgrading recorder db schema to version 25
2022-04-07 14:57:02 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Adding columns attributes_id to table states. Note: this can take several minutes on large databases and slow computers. Please be patient!
2022-04-07 14:57:02 INFO (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Unable to use quick column add. Adding 1 by 1
2022-04-07 14:57:02 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Column attributes_id already exists on states, continuing
2022-04-07 14:57:02 DEBUG (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Looking up index ix_states_attributes_id for table states
2022-04-07 14:57:02 DEBUG (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Creating ix_states_attributes_id index
2022-04-07 14:57:02 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Adding index `ix_states_attributes_id` to database. Note: this can take several minutes on large databases and slow computers. Please be patient!
2022-04-07 14:57:02 WARNING (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Index ix_states_attributes_id already exists on states, continuing
2022-04-07 14:57:02 DEBUG (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Finished creating ix_states_attributes_id
2022-04-07 14:57:02 INFO (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder.migration] Upgrade to version 25 done

Not sure what was the reason for the index creation to stall but creating it manually seems to resolve the problem.

1 Like

I experienced similar issues. Due to many problems, like ZHA issues and telegram not working and problems with philips hue I reverted back to 2022.3.1 and most problems are gone. Strangely enough there was still an issue with a custom component that was not there before. After upgrading from 2022.3.1 to 2022.3.8 everythings works fine now.

This release is amazing!

Are HA core/container backups compatible with HA OS in both directions? That is, can one restore a core instance from a HA OS instance, and restore a HA core instance from an OS backup?

I’ve considered using tteck’s awesome scripts to move HA to a container, but backups was the one thing holding me back (apart from the fact that I also probably shouldn’t even bother worrying about the resources consumed by HA OS vm versus a core container…).

Long tem statistics can access more than 14 days, for some entities. Chech them in developer tools → Statistics.
https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2021/08/04/release-20218/#long-term-statistics

Edit: I now see that this issue has been noted and is supposed to be fixed in next version.
After the update my Generic Camera no longer auto generates still image from RTSP stream - it is a doorbell that can’t do a still image on its own, it was so beautiful that HA could generate this!
Live stream is working correctly. I already checked all settings in the UI, restarted HA, twice.
Regardless, the update is really good! Thank you to all devs!

I am afraid it is not nonsense. I am unable to access the config folder and so is the Studio Code Server:

I am battling the system trying to restore to a previous day but doing so is NOT taking me back. Something is being retained even though I am doing a full restore trying to recover from 2022.4. I am going through pure HELL. I have a proxmox VM backup from a few days ago but I am not too sure how to restore it over my existing VM without causing even further issues.

I seriously need to stop installing HA backups the moment they are available!

Edit: I know the other poster was talking about esphome but it seems to be the same (or very similar root cause) issue

1 Like

No, this really is the issue. There is a very small testing team compared to how many combinations of integrations and devices there are.

2 Likes

Never, really never install a new version of HA immediately… especially not .0 versions. Basically, there are only problems, even with functions that previously ran without problems.

1 Like

After the update i had the same kind of problems. After restart of the add-ons (ssh, samba, vscode, esphome) the addons worked again.

For me, the restoration of the latest backup didn’t fix the issue. It was restoration to second-to-last backup that has fixed everything. When I gather enough courage (and make a whole VM snapshot!) I might try it again today or tomorrow and report the details.

1 Like

I went back to the backup I took before downgrading from my failed 2022.4 update and some things are working again. For example I now have access to the config folder and so does Studio Code Server. I wonder whether some of the OS updates changed something related to access rights and downgrading to a prior version has the effect of locking you out due to the later changes being retained.

If you lose access to your config folder via samba, you should be looking at the Samba Addon. IIRC, that didn’t change between 2022.4 and 2022.3. What Nick poorly stated is that: Updating core will have no impact on your connection to the config folder, or any other addon for that matter. What else did you update when you updated to 2022.4?

Example: Even if home assistant doesn’t start. Samba share will still be working and you can still access your config. Same with ESPHome. Same with any other addon. They will all run without core.

oopsss

creating a simple set of Warning and Error counters to replace:

#counter:
#
#  warning_counter:
#    name: Warnings
#    icon: mdi:alert
#    restore: False
#
#  error_counter:
#    name: Errors
#    icon: mdi:alert-circle
#    restore: False

which I commented first and then restarted the instance
resulted in:

Logger: homeassistant.helpers.service
Source: helpers/service.py:130 
First occurred: 16:35:04 (8542 occurrences) 
Last logged: 16:39:08

Unable to find referenced entities counter.error_counter
Unable to find referenced entities counter.warning_counter

in the 4 minutes it took after restart to finish creating these 2 counters. 8542 !

as you can see the entities (id’s) are there. (and I did rename them from the entity_id to what is says now)

1 Like

More data written to disk?

Installing .4 after latest .3: I see increase in data written to disk.

Recorder is writing into MariaDB.

Using Proxmox and ZFS. To see if something terrible is killing my SSD I log (all 15 min) my data written.

Unit is mebibyte (1024 * 1024 bytes).

As you see. After installing .4 there is a major continuing increase in traffic onto the disk.

Wow this one blew me away. The beta is very active and everybody really tries to get everything fixes and perfect for the release.

In the end, it is an open source project. Almost everything here is built together and done for free. For most contributors they have put in their love and free spare time towards improving things.

We run a public beta, every body can join. We welcome and invite anyone to join! Help the project and community to fix things and make it better. Even by testing a beta and reporting issues!

Instead you call out all those people as arrogant and fanboys? You should be ashamed.

Nevertheless, if you change your mind, I do hope to welcome you during the next beta and prove you’re wrong.

The more people join that, the better. And above all it is actually pretty fun in the beta channels!

…/Frenck

35 Likes