2022.4: Groups! Groups! Groups!

It’s ok, you 2 guys can just wait until others made their contributions to bring the software, and user-feature-requests forward, towards higher compatibilities, and usability , your “problems/concerns” are thereby solved

Thank you sir I can’t believe I never thought of that, feel free to completely ignore everything I said and fanboy.

@boheme61, MAC randomization is a security feature delivered in lots of devices leveraging Windows, Android, Linux, iOS and MAC. This feature is to minimize tracking on public WIFI networks by issuing a random MAC address with every new SSID discovered. This is controlled on the endpoint device in the WIFI/SSID settings not the router. I disable randomization on my Android devices and iOS devices for my Home network so that I can track those addresses presence on my WIFI.

What is MAC Randomization? | CenturyLink.

Yes i’ve read about it, but i always have wifi disabled on my phone when i leave my home :slight_smile: , and can’t see the point of having this “feature” at home , whom ever can freely “track” my phone, if i enable wifi, to access a public wifi, same goes for Bluetooth, always off, enabled when i need it only … so you might think im not an “average” Phone fan, true, mainly purpose is calling and receive calls :slight_smile: , and as you say, disable it if your at home, if you want it to work as intended in your homeautomation system
PS: beside my battery last 4 times longer, than others that have both wifi, bluetooth and various APP running in the background … im “very” selective … i call it, maybe others just call me “old” or weird :smile:
PS: Even my phone is old, thou android 9.0, but don’t even have this option, which i’ve never considered using, but yes iPhone users should probably “check” their phones, and read apple updates, so it’s not a “default” enabled feature that fu their logins on public wifi network, like hotels etc, having to create new connection with credentials every day :grin:

There are never features added mid-month (aka in minor versions), only bug fixes. Major changes / new features are frozen the week before a release, meaning when the beta phase starts.

Also, as others have mentioned here in the thread: I don’t know how many people on average actually have show-stopper issues with any given major release. I personally never had an issue (might just be my luck with the somewhat limited number of integrations I use in my production instance), but given that we have now at least 160.000 installations, only a very small minority reports any issues in the release threads. Might be that many just wait before updating or are not using the features/integrations that cause an issue.

So these release threads might actually distort the perception of issues and impacted number of people/installations. Just something to keep in mind.

How is that any different to what I said? I’m not the one complaining here. Perhaps reply to the person I replied to instead.

Pretty sure it’s off the “Phone Name” setting in the app on the specific phone.

1 Like

Yes it seems so, but not a good “choice” as same model have same name, unless one can change this, in the phone

It’s configurable last I knew.

haha, yes apparently , more than 20 years with a mobile-phone, and i’ve never even thought of it … so i had to check :grin: …EDIT: so if this is the only “ID” they use, to identify a specific Devise it still seems “Not a good choice”

Well you can’t use the IP, they’re usually dynamic, can’t usually use the MAC, it could change for privacy… I don’t think you want the HA app reading your IMEI which would be a really good way to identify your phone.

so you mean it’s good that anyone that change their phone-name(to impersonate), can trigger whatever ? … im do hope there are better “security thoughts” behind identification for a “specific” device as a Phone ( if it change MAC for “false” security, it’s a choice people make, … and my i.e Laptop have 2 identities, Ethernet / WiFi
PS: And beside in most new Routers you can choose “Manual IP Within DHCP-Scope / Reserve”, for that matter. And as Device_Tracker has both information IP/MAC, why not use this ?

This data could be spoofed as well. Maybe the IMEI would be the best route.

Yes maybe, i still haven’t bothered to find out how HA Registrar Devices, as it seems different depending of Component, But For my Laptop i found it “convenient” when i plugged out the TP-Cable, and the Device_Tracker reported it as “Away”, thou i was still accessing/editing HA through Wifi, until i realized that sure it had changed IP/MAC, therefore Device_Tracker reported it away, so now i have 2, and named them in HA.
Devices

Sorry, I thought we were strictly talking about just the mobile app, other device trackers are likely using other methods for providing unique ids to devices.

Guess i should be sorry, yes your right, i totally missed that it was mobileApp integration/platform, i just looked at the “device_tracker.Entity ID” , didn’t know/realized that device_tracker.device_name was “in-depended” , i that it was the HA Device_Tracker Integration that was used, used by other integrations/platforms, like MobileAPP, atleast what i thought, as they use same “device_tracker.entity”
EDIT: If the MobileAPP only use “Phones Name” as identification for device_tracker it creates, im glad i deleted that “entity” i would atleast preferred to have 1 Unique “identifier”
PS: As you say maybe MobileAPP uses the device_name(Phones Name) + APP_ID+maybe some HARDWARE Specific ID, combined into a Unique_ID

Thank you that much for the group feature! Otherwise I’d like to mention/know why the climate domain is missing? I installed that update in that hope grouping my radiator thermostats. Thanks in advance!

So all the group options available have a binary state. This logic from the doc applies to all of them.

Climate entities dont really have a binary state right now. Their state is just the HVAC mode they’re in so it’s not obvious how to set the state of such a group. If you have 3 grouped climate entities and one has state heat, one has state cool and one has state heat_cool then what is the state of the group?

I’m sure it can be done but it’s not as obvious how such a group would work so it would take some thinking. Plus there is no climate group right now whereas most of the others existed already, the work was just making them available in the UI.

1 Like

Guys, the breaking change below :

Service Calls
If an entity is explicitly referenced as a target for a service that the entity doesn’t support, we now raise an error instead of silently ignoring it.
This helps detect automations or scripts that used to silently fail.

How can i workaround that? i have a script that turns off everything , but now it fails

for example , i have this:

- service: media_player.media_play_pause
    entity_id: media_player.spotify

But if spotify is not playing, that fails …and the script doesnt continue anymore… how can i make it continue, even when it failed?

How would you do the same with a TV remote in your hand?

Would you just blindly press the on/off button or would you first look if the TV is on?
Exactly, condition Spotify on.

But in 2022.5 there should be a feature where an automation doesn’t “crash” but instead keeps going with the rest.