2022.4: Groups! Groups! Groups!

How do I know the database update has finished? Since updating to 2022.4.6 (from 2022.3.x) my energy dashboard is empty, I assume related to the database update. I would like to restart Hass again, but without me knowing whether the database update was successful I don’t risk doing that.

I don’t know why but it looks as if since then I have plenty of messages like this:

[zigpy_zigate.api] Received unhandled response 0x8012

I wondered how come this goes so unnoticed: History disappears for entries that don't change state · Issue #70346 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

seems anyone with a history card should be noticing the graphs only start halfway history…?

@spudje would that be related maybe?

Given my personal experience with ZHA and this update(s) I’d steer well clear of any updates until you see more evidence that its stable or unless you really need it to fix another problem.

I did a brand new install off this release and and really wish I hadn’t. It was my decision and I accept the consequences but I suspect some new users using ZHA may have been severely put off by the experience.

Quality control and testing of ZHA seems to me to have not been up to the usual HA standards.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’ll sit tight a while longer. I hate being that far behind on versions, but unfortunately I don’t have time to make my production Zigbee network a beta test site.

The part I’m finding frustrating is the lack of any specifics as to what was changed and what problems were introduced. We’re left to puzzle it out from whatever experiences other users post here.

1 Like

Now you understand how devs feel :wink:

3 Likes

I am a fairly recent user of ZigBee user(a couple of months, only 6 devices). I have seen no issues in any of the updates both beta and released.

2 Likes

What ZigBee devices do you have?

@Hellis81 Aguara water detector, three smart things motion detector a smart thing plug and a middle brand Zigbee light switch.

I’m several months new to ZHA as well, and once I had my 4 Hue bulbs set up and automated, it’s been working flawlessly through all of the updates since that time, including this one.I’m using a CONBEE II controller attached via extension to a USB2 port on a RPi 4. I don’t use a Hue Bridge.

core-2022.4.6
supervisor-2022.04.2
Home Assistant OS 7.5
ZHA Integration (not sure how to determine version)

Another data point.

I’m predominately Z-Wave with ~78 devices, and Zigbee was added just for Hue functionality. I won’t add more unless there is no Z-Wave equivalent.

You’re using zigbee to control Phillips hue lights?

Sounds like you think that’s strange?

I don’t use zigbee or hue. Just being curious

Ah right :smiley:

Hue devices are primarily Zigbee-based (most Zigbee implementations support them, if you don’t specifically need the Hue bridge). Newer devices have both Zigbee and BLE (but I don’t think there are open source implementations for the BLE part yet).

Tbh, I’ve never understood why people are so opposed to using the Hue bridge , given the fact it is rock solid, and offers so much functionality.

Especially compared to the horrific experience I suffered with the conbee 2 stick …

1 Like

Yes, I posted a bit about what I did here.

When I researched it for my setup, I just felt the Bridge was just another piece of HW I didn’t need, since I didn’t really see any functionality it provided that I would utilize. I wanted more customization by doing it myself. I can always add it, but ZHA and Conbee was the best approach I could find to allow me to use the Hue bulbs in particular in my almost-entirely Z-wave configuration. So far it has worked great!

1 Like

Well, sure. I get that when you want simple commands to the bulbs. But if you see what the core Hue integration does in connection to the bridge, you’ll wonder how you ever did without it :wink:

1 Like

Are there specific versions of the bulbs that work or don’t work with a zigbee network? It just seems odd to me that hue even allows this. But it’s something I’d purchase if it does work

Multiple reasons:

1. I want to take advantage of my existing Zigbee mesh, so my 20+ hue bulbs mesh with my Aqara stuff, my Gledopto stuff and what else you throw at it. There are some offbrand things you can control with the Hue bridge, but it’s fairly limited.
  2. The Hue bridge only supports 50 devices, then you have to buy another bridge and create a parallel mesh network. This is just dumb.
  3. I want to manage things from HA, that means creating groups, scenes etc. Having a separate interface, kinda defeats the purpose of what I believe Home Assistant to be.

The big upside of using the bridge, is that it is beginner friendly for taking your first dips into home automation, and that is good for user adoption. And then of course there are some products like the sync box that requires the box.

1 Like